12346»

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2020 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    If you do not mind me asking why have you cancelled three holidays:eek:
    If it is anything to personal do not reply,i am only being inquisitive.

I don't mind you asking at all.
    No Insurance Company (that I have contacted, and I have contacted many) will cover me at the moment whilst I am awaiting a medical procedure, my current Insurance expired on the 19th October so we were fortunate to be able to get a full refund for the November and January cruises,and to be honest if any Company would insure me I still would not want to leave the UK while I feel unwell.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    bspm1 wrote: »
    :(:(:(Nowhere until I have had a procedure done in hospital and someone will insure me!
    I was in a similar position last year, hospitalized in February with "something neurological" that may have been MS (it is). Trying to get travel insurance when there's definitely something wrong with you but the doctors won't give you a diagnosis until they've done more tests is a challenge, so I didn't go on holiday in 2019.

I do now have the diagnosis, and insurance, and will be going to Italy (Umbria) for a week in the spring. Also looking at a fortnight in Sicily in the autumn with Explore, but that would be molto costoso as they say over there, so can't quite bring myself to book it yet.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Dont blame you at all! Its January now and so far we have cancelled two cruises and a Florida break since November to now :(
    No Insurance Company (that I have contacted, and I have contacted many) will cover me at the moment whilst I am awaiting a medical procedure, my current Insurance expired on the 19th October so we were fortunate to be able to get a full refund for the November and January cruises,and to be honest if any Company would insure me I still would not want to leave the UK while I feel unwell.

So sorry to hear that.

Husband & I have multiple relatively minor conditions & he has one which, when it hits him, means we can't travel at all. Hence determination to see as much of the world and tick off our bucket list items, before its too late. I've lost too many friends in their 40s, 50s and 60s to be complacent:(.

Hope you feel better soon and are able to resume your holidays.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I was in a similar position last year, hospitalized in February with "something neurological" that may have been MS (it is). Trying to get travel insurance when there's definitely something wrong with you but the doctors won't give you a diagnosis until they've done more tests is a challenge, so I didn't go on holiday in 2019.

I do now have the diagnosis, and insurance, and will be going to Italy (Umbria) for a week in the spring. Also looking at a fortnight in Sicily in the autumn with Explore, but that would be molto costoso as they say over there, so can't quite bring myself to book it yet.

After what you've been through, my advice, if you can afford it, would be 'book Sicily'. Its taken me many years to accept that I can spend my money exactly as I wish and I don't have to justify it to anyone. These days, that means turning left on long haul flights;).

If I don't do it now, my son definitely will after I've gone:A
  • bspm1
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    After what you've been through, my advice, if you can afford it, would be 'book Sicily'. Its taken me many years to accept that I can spend my money exactly as I wish and I don't have to justify it to anyone. These days, that means turning left on long haul flights;).

If I don't do it now, my son definitely will after I've gone:A

Have 'turned left' for many years on long haul, glad to see other people use my wordage too! and thank you for your wishes, I appreciate it.
  • bspm1
    Options

Thank you, I do hope it goes well for you, or as well as it possibly can. That seems to be the problem doesn't it, having the diagnosis helps, at least then you can try and get insured. I have the diagnosis but unfortunately it means heart surgery, I need something replacing so until that is done I am going nowhere, but once it is done I can assure you I will be off somewhere beautiful, exotic and warm as soon as possible.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to reply,i hope you get well soon,we are in a similar position as the prices we are being quoted are very high:eek: its my fault because i had a TIA ( mini stroke ) in 2016 and now have high blood pressure and high colestral as well as high AGE ( 69 now )
    I suppose we will just have to bite the bullet and pay as we cannot take the money with us when we pop our clogs:rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did have it in mind to visit Uganda this year but my travelling buddy has southern Africa on his radar. Botswana is a possibility and I've had a yearning to see the Okavango Delta for a number of years.

I've spent some time looking at flight prices and it's not cheap to get to anywhere in southern Africa (other than South Africa). I'd quite like taking in a couple of countries in 2 1/2 weeks so seeing a bit of Zambia and Victoria Falls would be good but not in our usual November/December timeline as the falls are apparently virtually non-existent at that time (I know that this year has been particularly bad anyway)
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport