EcoR1 Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why buy a car with no V5?
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    EcoR1 wrote: »
    Why buy a car with no V5?

Because it was a really good deal, almost too good to be true ...
  • Viorel
    Options
    l have bought a car in the past being a cat d damaged and came without logbook , so this time I thought the same which turned out to be a scam , the deal wasnt too good to be true as the car was damaged and my appraisal was if it get it to 10k fixed being a cat c its a good deal for me and even when i want to sell it i can get 12-14k listed as a cat c , its not something like ive bought the car in perfect roadworthy condition for 70% less market value , I dont think im that stupid , I get it I was stupid because i didnt check the vin. properly but i never came across a cloned car in my life so it was something it slipped to me and never caught my attention , and example with car a and car b i think is a bit impossible or a high coincidence , the hole repair process took around lets say just under 4 weeks , car had no tax or insurance , after i got messaged somebody else has a same car , somehow dvla didnt recognize me as a keeper anymore and the 2nd car surprisingly comes up as taxed and insured or yeah could be example car a and car b etc , guys again thank you very much for your responses but dont think I knew this is too good to be true , I am a victim of some highly skilled scum bags as the stickers on the car looks absolutly legit even the one on the windscreen im sure the !!!!!!!s are doing this for a living , I hope that police will help me to find out where this car belongs so I will come to a deal with them and give it back to me i suppose , yet the car its still with me and have no response from the police yet as dvla said it takes up to 6 weeks to come and investigate the car but i already know its been cloned as ive mentioned in my first post , today i got busy with work but im going in the morning to report it myself again and try to speed up the process i hope . thanks again
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Thinking about this again, why clone a damaged car?

It's more likely the case that the other vehicle is the clone and yours is the genuine vehicle.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps it was cloned before it got damaged.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options

because the insurance cos often retain v5s even after selling "scrap"
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Perhaps it was cloned before it got damaged.

Possibly, but I would have thought it would be picked up when written off.
  • TooManyPoints
    Options

If something seems too good to be true......it usually is.
  • Viorel
    Options
    Believe me I have slept around 15 hours in one week thinking and thinking about that too and any other reasons , why would you clone a damaged car , it is possible that the car was damaged by purpose but i see no reason , like they could have sold it for parts for a lot more than £5k , or again maybe it was cloned before got damaged like Mercdriver said ,

Unfortunetly im an not the lucky one to own the original vehicle as ive said in the first post , under the seat there is a vin sticker which matches the others ( door side and windscreen ) seemed glued on really genuinely , took it off thinking that they might have glued it over the original one and there was my answer to my question " is it the cloned one or the original one " ? there is another vin number altered into the metal , I could only read the last 5 digits and first 3 , past 5 digits are tottally different !!

I have prepared my self for the police with a folder including letters from dvla , logbook in my name , text messages from the guy i bought it from , ive got his driving licence copy , also got a picture of him ( just because in his license he were looking a lot younger thas why i took the picture and he was fine with that . In regards to the vin number under the seat being a different one which is the original vin number i was thinking to plug a tester on it to see the proper vin number and hpi it see the actual reg of the car , i will attach that to the folder for the police and will provide them all the information they need so they might catch the !!!!!!! even though I will lose my money and there is nothing to do to get them back , at least he gets caught and nobody will fall in his trap .
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thinking about this again, why clone a damaged car?

It's more likely the case that the other vehicle is the clone and yours is the genuine vehicle.
    Except the OP's already found his VIN plates are hooky, with the real VIN underneath being that of a stolen car.
    Viorel wrote: »
    I have been reading about cloned cars for the past 2 days and a lot of people are saying to check the vin numbers and locations which I have and YES it turns out that my car has been cloned , under the seat there is a vin number sticker with same number from the windscreen and side door that I took off and under it there is another vin number which is different engraved onto the chasis of the car , and windscreen vin number has been put on somehow because inside of the vehicle at the bottom of the windscreen there is a piece of spongy strip cut out for the scammers to insert the new vin number over the actual vin from the stolen vehicle that I have ( Ive just found out today )

The stolen-and-bent car in the OP's possession has almost certainly never been categorised on its own identity, because this is the first time it's been recovered since the theft...

The ID that's been cloned has probably been taken from a bent-but-legit car being auctioned at Copart. It just happens that the OP got a wiggle on with the repairs, and his was the first one returned to the road. If the other car had been broken, the OP may have been none the wiser for a while to come.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport