Pip award review

So this landed through my door this morning which i was quite expecting . What i wasn't expecting was for it to be so thin .

I thought it would be the big fat form with the big boxes to fill out over and over again with the same information that was filled in last time .

So i was wondering if someone could advise on how to fill this out ?

The statement at the top of the form states “ this section asks you to tell us about any changes in how you carry out the 12 pip daily living or mobility activities [sincewe last looked at your award on the 25th july 2017 .also use this section to tell us if things have stayed the same

So will they accept the answer “ my condition is still the same as of 25th july 2017 “ ..... do i not have to soend hours and hours of agaonising writting out and putting myself through the agony of listing how rubbish my life is ???

Your help would be greatly appriciated because i dont want to send “ still the same “ and they dont refer to july 2017 form and i dont get awarded . If you see what i mean

Im stressing already :(:(

Thanks in advance

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fumar wrote: »
    So this landed through my door this morning which i was quite expecting . What i wasn't expecting was for it to be so thin .

I thought it would be the big fat form with the big boxes to fill out over and over again with the same information that was filled in last time .

So i was wondering if someone could advise on how to fill this out ?

The statement at the top of the form states “ this section asks you to tell us about any changes in how you carry out the 12 pip daily living or mobility activities [sincewe last looked at your award on the 25th july 2017 .also use this section to tell us if things have stayed the same

So will they accept the answer “ my condition is still the same as of 25th july 2017 “ ..... do i not have to soend hours and hours of agaonising writting out and putting myself through the agony of listing how rubbish my life is ???

Your help would be greatly appriciated because i dont want to send “ still the same “ and they dont refer to july 2017 form and i dont get awarded . If you see what i mean

Im stressing already :(:(

Thanks in advance
    This will be the usual PIP review form and your biggest mistake will be to just write "no changes"

Regardless of the shortened form you still need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Any relevant evidence you have should be sent with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Expect another face to face assessment because most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.

If you don't have enough time to return the form you can ring for an extra 14 days.
  • FumarFumar Forumite
    12 Posts
    Great thanks poppy

So do you think this is acceptable ?

Preparing food and cooking

Tell us if something has changed and aproximatly when : my condition is still the same as of july 2017 . I am unable to carry out this task due to lack of concentration and motivation . I am af sever risk of harmong myself or others.
    Tell us how you manage this activity nowincluding aid you use : my friend prepares all meals and cooks because i am not safe to use this equipment i would burn pans by forgetting i was cooking and cause fires etc . This happened the last time i tried to do this .
    Tell us about any changes to the help you need or the help you get from another person: No change from july 2016 . Without help at eveey meal time i am unable to do this task . It has to be done for me .

This is literally all the space i had to write what is written above . I cant see how i can get a detailed explanation in . Can i ask them to refer to apllication form july 2017 on the end of each answer whwre it says no change ?

Sorry for all the questions i just dont want to mess up
    15.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Be careful with contradictions. I can see a couple of those there, 2 different dates July 2016 and then July 2017.

Then you say your friend prepares and cooks all meals because you're not safe to do it yourself. Then you say that without help every meal time you're unable to do the task, that's a contradiction.

If you don't have enough of room to write everything then use extra paper but make sure you add your name and NI number to everything.

No, i wouldn't ask them to refer to the July 2017 application.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/help-with-your-pip-review-form/
  • Just to add I put no change to every question, got no f2f and got pip back just over three weeks later with no change.
    15.2K Posts
    Forumite
    wellynever wrote: »
    Just to add I put no change to every question, got no f2f and got pip back just over three weeks later with no change.
    Then you were extremely lucky because i would never ever advise anyone to fill out a form that way. So many people have done exactly that and gone on to be refused.
  • FumarFumar Forumite
    12 Posts
    Thanks poppy ... i really need to watch how i word this because i didnt mean her helping me ... i meant her help of making it for me ....

Wellynever did you literally just write no change in all boxes and sighned it ... nothing else ...
  • edited 20 December 2019 at 3:05PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 December 2019 at 3:05PM
    I recently volunteered for CAB and never write no change, was trained to write full statements. Always assume they haven't bothered to read old information. They have millions of these forms to check so frequently don't have the time to carefully read historic information. Always write as much as you can about how your disability effects you
    15.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Fumar wrote: »
    Thanks poppy ... i really need to watch how i word this because i didnt mean her helping me ... i meant her help of making it for me ....
    Why do you need someone else to prepare and cook your food for you? Would an aid help you to do it yourself? If not then why not?

If an aid doesn't help then they will look at needing assistance, which is 4 points for this activity.

You won't just score a maximum of 8 points because someone else prepares and cooks your meal for you.

This was taken from the link i posted above.
    2.1.23 When considering whether a claimant should be assessed as needing to use an aid or appliance, the HP should apply the following approach for most descriptors:
    • can the claimant carry out the activity reliably (that is, safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in a reasonable time period) and independently, or with the use of a commonly used device? If so, then descriptor A would usually apply
    • does the claimant need to use/rely upon an aid or appliance to complete the activity? If they use an aid or appliance which it would be reasonable to expect them to use e.g. a Zimmer frame when walking, could they then complete the activity reliably without assistance from another person? If so, then descriptor B would apply
    • if the answer to both the above questions is no, then consideration should be given to whether the claimant must rely on prompting, supervision or assistance in order to complete the activity, in which case an alternative descriptor may be more appropriate
    2.1.24 Where a claimant chooses not to use an aid or appliance which he or she could reasonably be expected to use and which would enable them to carry out the activity without prompting, supervision or assistance, descriptor B will be appropriate, they should not be awarded a higher descriptor if using an aid or appliance would remove the need for prompting, supervision or assistance.
  • FumarFumar Forumite
    12 Posts
    Thankyou again poppy . I can see there being a lot of extra info sheets attached to this claim

Thanyou again
  • cantcopecantcope Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I'm waiting for my review letter to come as my report last year said the patient will not take medication due to psychological reasons, therefore review in a year! i wont take meds just yet as i saw what they did to my mum!
    i was planning on just printing what i sent off last time and changing to this still applies at the front of each sheet? Is that not good enough? I cant be typing it all out again. Took me 3 days!
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals