Howdens sale to non trade account holder - what are my rights?

1235»

Replies

• fezsterfezster Forumite
    483 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    missprice wrote: »
    And if this ^ is true you have caused someone workplace grief this close to Christmas. How nice.

Indeed.

I question how truthful OP is being, though. On a number of aspects.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I predict that this will all end in the kitchen being upgraded, fitted for nothing and a Howdens director will personally deliver a Christmas hamper and cook the family's dinner on Christmas Day.
  • We are building contractors for a local estate and we refurbish rental properties for them. We are in the process of installing the 6th kitchen this year from howdens. All bar one of them arrived with at least two items missing and all of them required the courier to return at least twice due to missing or damaged items or items that howdens completely missed off by mistake (worktop end trims are a prime example).

I find that howdens’ staff are pretty crap at ensuring that all the extra bits are included and also don’t seem able to read a tape measure, but that’s a whole different story to this. What they are however are second to none at resolving issues, and doing so promptly too. Wrong size unit for the space, it gets swapped no problem, not enough handles sent, new ones on site next day, chip out of a shelf which should have been picked up in the factory but wasn’t so it looked like I must have done it? new shelf sent, no questions asked!

The courier which they use to do the deliveries from our local branch says he travels to each of the 3/4 neighbouring branches 2-3 times per week to fetch bits required to make up orders. I suspect that they send out the carcasses as soon as they are all available regardless of whether all the door/drawer fronts and other trims etc are in stock. I assumed they do this so as not to hold the installer up because we have always had all the carcasses and worktops delivered first time. Plus there are a lot fewer carcass finishes than door finishes so they are more likely to have the correct colour in stock. The kitchen we are currently fitting is only 5 units but 13 items were still missing, all of them arrived the following day having been collected from other branches.

This leads me to believe that if they want to put something right then they will go out of their way to do it. How long was it between you taking delivery and contacting the branch regarding the missing items? Did you ring up to enquire when they would be sent or did you ring up with the “bull in the china shop” approach demanding your items, as I suspect is the case based off your OP and your responses to anyone’s opinion you don’t agree with?

Whilst I have never purchased directly from howdens myself, I know about their odd pricing structure and I don’t agree with them constantly offering 85%+ discount on the overly inflated prices. This is why you could have uploaded the quote on here or asked a rival company to quote on there comparable kitchen. Feel free to still do so and someone on here can say whether it was reasonable But I wouldn’t say that you have been ripped off, the finish you choose can drastically increase the cost and after all you accepted the quote and they have, or will, honour it.

I can’t help but feel that the items which would have probably arrived within a week had you been more polite with them will now not arrive until a few days before Christmas because “we are waiting for them to come from the factory”.
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I predict that this will all end in the kitchen being upgraded, fitted for nothing and a Howdens director will personally deliver a Christmas hamper and cook the family's dinner on Christmas Day.

I think that Howdens are taking them to Harrods for lunch on Christmas day whilst the members of staff who sold them the kitchen have to work on Christmas day assembling the kitchen as a goodwill to all men gesture:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • BexgrossmanBexgrossman Forumite
    143 Posts
    Forumite
    Is Christmas the end of the world? Sorry I’m new here.
  • Tom_JonesTom_Jones Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    haguiera wrote: »
    My complaint has been escalated and the Depot manager has been suspended.

I’m being dealt with a young lady on behalf of the board of directors.

Shows how useless most of you are doesn’t it?? I’m not gonna roll over and get my belly scratched like you lot!! 💅🏼

I very much doubt that the Manager has been suspended, the Manager dealt with you fairly by offering the replacement of the missing items, or a full refund for you to demand free fitting is laughable.

Your kitchen fitter should have made a start on fitting the kitchen, and as someone whos used Howdens for years the longest I've waited for a missing part was three days.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is Christmas the end of the world? Sorry I’m new here.
    Yes, you can guarantee that any DIY or consumer rights matter at the time of year will mention Christmas being ruined or being made impossible when in most cases, there's a bit of inconvenience to suffer. It adds a layer of drama to an otherwise annoying situation.
  • DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes, you can guarantee that any DIY or consumer rights matter at the time of year will mention Christmas being ruined or being made impossible when in most cases, there's a bit of inconvenience to suffer. It adds a layer of drama to an otherwise annoying situation.

My Christmas has been ruined by reading this thread.

I want compensating.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • edited 9 December 2019 at 9:37AM
    MarcTJTDMarcTJTD Forumite
    92 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 9 December 2019 at 9:37AM
    jimmyw566 wrote: »
    I find that howdens’ staff are pretty crap at ensuring that all the extra bits are included and also don’t seem able to read a tape measure, but that’s a whole different story to this.

It's not only Howdens, unfortunately.

There's a prevailing opinion in the industry that properly trained and experienced kitchen designers are an unnecessary expense due to the wages that we're typically on in comparison to more generalised retail sales advisers.

Some of the larger chains have taken to mass-recruiting people into the designer roles while paying barely above minimum wage, providing them with absolutely basic training, then culling all but the best performing sales generators with no regard as to how good (or safe!) their designs are.

I've seen plans that any building inspector would immediately veto on the grounds of gas safety etc.

B&Q and Wren are notorious in the industry for this; none of the designers I know (we're a close-knit bunch, regardless of who we work for) would seriously consider them as viable employers. They're terrible at training, have terrible availability and quality, and are generally terrible at customer service. All they care about is the sale.

Howdens can be hit-or-miss; I know a few good people who work for them but I've also heard horror stories. They rely on being able to resolve problems quickly and having sky high profit margins to lessen the impact of additional costs.

I work for a regional independent that I shan't name, but if I were to advise a retail customer on the large chains, I'd send them to Wickes every time. They're not the cheapest, but they're good.
  • Does your 'builder' friend know what he is doing? Does he have the skills and equipment needed to install a kitchen?

My god if he does one on every job where there are missing items he would never earn any money, every job I do there is damage to items.

On my last kitchen job I didn't even want the new kitchen in the house (no room) for 2 weeks after I'd started until I'd made good the room (new plumbing, electrics, plastered). There is loads to do in a room, its more likely he didn't want to do it and was using missing parts as an excuse to do another job.

Just make sure this 'builder' has the right tools, I've seen 'builders' using a hand saw to cut worktops leaving a 15 degree cut chipped edge.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides