Howdens sale to non trade account holder - what are my rights?

Replies

• misspricemissprice Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You ripped out your old kitchen before the new one was delivered, and you think howdens has to somehow pay for your own mistake. Are you ok?
    Out of sheer curiosity what items were missing and could the kitchen have been started with the missing items?

You are on a hiding to nothing hoping they will fit stuff for free, if anything untoward happened in your buying of this kitchen (seriously doubt it) then any fuss you make about your suspicions is just you making noise into a void. The sales people wont have any comeback, the manager wont have any comeback. So my best advice is choose which you want, the missing bits or money back and get on with sorting out your kitchen.

FWIW with my last kitchen fit, i was there on Christmas eve helping fit my own kitchen because we all wanted to finish. So i lugged stuff around and held cupboards up in the air and shuffled spacers and moved fridges and ovens and microwaves, and was not panicked because I had my back up plan ready 3 weeks before I knew fitting was happening. I did that because I have a child on the spectrum who would have thrown a major hissy fit with no plan and no prior warning.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • haguierahaguiera Forumite
    32 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My bad!! 😂😂😂 But come on now, I know people like yourself and others aren’t on here to help, just antagonise, but surely you would share my concerns if you were in my position? I don’t even know who I’ve purchased the kitchen from !!!!!!???!! It was either Howdens and they’ve forged an account in my name or I have bought it off a rogue account used to complete the sale. An account I am willing to bet, did not pay £4500 for it. 🤔
  • dunrovingdunroving Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Although Howdens does have a very opaque (to the consumer) pricing system, and in my current experience (having a Howdens kitchen fitted at the moment) have real limitations with their communication methods, the one thing I've found that they are excellent at is replacing incorrect, damaged or missing items.

Your kitchen fitter could have done something while items were being replaced (screwing handles to doors, measuring up, marking walls, etc.). In my current experience, they replace items same day, usually within a half-day or less. Worst case scenario is that you or your builder could have gone to Howdens with the broken/wrong items and replaced them on the spot.

So while there are different factors that have led to your current situation, one biggie is that your fitter/builder friend walked away from a situation that could have been easily and quickly fixed.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • I dont see what the issue is, just return it for a full refund and go elsewhere.
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    haguiera wrote: »
    I don’t even know who I’ve purchased the kitchen from !!!!!!???!!
    So, you don't have an invoice or receipt for the £4500 you claim to have paid them. There is absolutely nothing stating you have paid money or what you have paid it for?
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    21.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I dont see what the issue is, just return it for a full refund and go elsewhere.

That way he won't have a kitchen at all for ages.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222 wrote: »
    That way he won't have a kitchen at all for ages.

Then I suggest either he gets his fitter back or pays for another as no one will fit it free.
  • PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    Forumite
    I fail to see why the fuss over it being sold to a domestic customer when it purports to be trade only. It's irrelevant.

The real problem is the missing bits. That can happen with any supplier. I've had two kitchens in this house. First from MFI - yes, missing/damaged parts. Second was from a local independent high end kitchen firm - yes missing/damaged parts. If you read other forums, Wickes, B&Q and Wren are all known for missing/damaged parts.

Ripping out the old and having such a tight timescale for the new to be fitted was naive to say the least.

That's nothing to do with them supposed to be trade only.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    My bad!! 😂😂😂 But come on now, I know people like yourself and others aren’t on here to help, just antagonise, but surely you would share my concerns if you were in my position? I don’t even know who I’ve purchased the kitchen from !!!!!!???!! It was either Howdens and they’ve forged an account in my name or I have bought it off a rogue account used to complete the sale. An account I am willing to bet, did not pay £4500 for it. 🤔

But if your attitude to posters on here is as above who would want to help you .
    You are yet another poster who is 100% right in their view and any disagreement from others is wrong .
    Why use a forum to ask a question ?? you dont want answers to its a means of discussion .
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    21.9K Posts
    Forumite

You are obviously pretty upset, but you came here asking what your rights are. You have had quite a few people telling you that you have a right to get the rest of the items on your order. With Howdens that should be very quick. Or you can have a refund, although that won't get your kitchen sorted out.

Anything over and above that is a matter of goodwill.

I am not sure what else we can do. If we told you that you have a right to free fitting, we'd be telling you what you want to hear, but it would be misleading. You complain that the manager was rude to you, simply because he did not agree to do what you wanted.

The real villain in this piece is your kitchen fitter, who has flounced off and left you in the lurch. But you don't see that, apparently.

I think you should take a deep breath, and accept the manager's offer of help to get someone in to fit it for you.

As to your allegation of a rogue account, the very worst is that there has been some minor data protection infringement. You could complain to the Information Commissioner.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals