Howdens sale to non trade account holder - what are my rights?

Replies

• spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    1. You dont remove your kitchen until the new one arrives.
    2. Trade account thing doesnt mean anything legally. Its osmething howdens have done as a preference of dealing with trade clients as retail clients get upset about things like not having a kitchen and being too keen to get rid of their previous one.
    3. You probably did pay more than you couldve done. Its the nature of selling kitchens. Used to drive me potty when i worked at B&Q. I worked on paint and we couldnt ever discount anything. Someone comes in to buy a kitchen and theyll get offered a 10%+ discount just to push the sale when it was probably happening anyway completely wiping out any profit margin from actually selling the kitchen. It was completely random in nature too.
    4. You can buy kitchens off the shelf. If youve got a design/plan and or a itemised list of things in the plan it should make it pretty straight forward.
  • haguierahaguiera Forumite
    32 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nobody will fit it this side of Christmas either!! And that’s if the items ever materialise!!
    32 Posts
    Forumite
    I agree we are very upset and yes, under consumer rights that’s all I can hope for. But considering there was no goodwill gesture or explanation of how I was able to make the purchase, where my items have gone or efforts made to right these wrongs, then I am challenging the validity of it all. Since discovering how Howdens depots operate, don’t tell me he couldn’t have asked one of his preferred builders to fit it for us and he would pay him by knocking an extra couple off hundred £££ off his next few purchases, because that’s how I would’ve managed the situation. For the record, most of the kitchen was damaged by “an escape of water” and had to come out anyway.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,

ahh, so it's an insurance job?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

32 Posts
    Forumite
    A 931 corner unit which would be the first piece to be installed on two walls. The old one is still fitted as it would mean losing the sink if we took it out. Then a 600mm 4 drawer base unit along one wall, with two 450mm bases either side, of which one was missing. Above that two 500mm glass carcasses are missing, plus much more, but those are the items which stopped us making a start.
  • spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    haguiera wrote: »
    I agree we are very upset and yes, under consumer rights that’s all I can hope for. But considering there was no goodwill gesture or explanation of how I was able to make the purchase, where my items have gone or efforts made to right these wrongs, then I am challenging the validity of it all. Since discovering how Howdens depots operate, don’t tell me he couldn’t have asked one of his preferred builders to fit it for us and he would pay him by knocking an extra couple off hundred £££ off his next few purchases, because that’s how I would’ve managed the situation. For the record, most of the kitchen was damaged by “an escape of water” and had to come out anyway.

Kitchen fitters cost more than a few hundred quid. I reckon itd be nearer £2k. Saying that howdens are pre built arent they?

Probably made about 20-30% margin on the sale of your kitchen. So £1320 'profit' in it for howdens. They aint paying for a fitter for you, that would be really stupid and cost them a load more money to please a customer that is inevitably going to remember this as a bad experience anyway.

They will happily recommend people who can fit it and you can pay them but they arent going to offer you free fitting.

In terms of recompense or cost covering dont expect anything over 10%, anything more will not be financially viable for them and theyre not going to lose out on money to make an unhappy customer slightly less unhappy, you arent worth it when legally all they need to do is refund and get the goods back and not be out of pocket at all really.

The way to handle this is kill them with kindness and reason. Demanding they fit was always going to lead to a frosty scenario because they cant ever meet that expectation. As a kitchen sales adivosr if customers came in screaming at me and making demands theyd always be met with a brick wall and reluctance. The ones i felt sorry for got everything i could give them. You dont feel sorry for people who do not act reasonably. You do feel sorry for people that do.
  • edited 5 December 2019 at 5:19PM
    k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2019 at 5:19PM
    This is one of those time when attititude is everything

Howdens branch won't want to be refunding your kitchen before Xmas/year end - they have your money and will no doubt supply the remainder during December

Your key objective (with all the emotion removed) is to get what you paid for and have it installed pre-Xmas

A couple of hours work should find out whether any of the missing units are available in the localish area and then some positive discussion with the branch to see if they can influence a local fitter to get it installed for you at the price you'd agreed with your fitter.

Lose the conspiracy accusations/threats/silly demands (free fitting) and focus on getting what you want even if it means some extra work for you
  • PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You paid the retail price, what's the problem. Yes, they "could have" sold it to a fitter a discounted price, and the fitter could choose whether to share the "discount" or keep it for himself.

That's how the trades works. All builders merchants do the same, even the ones who do sell to the public. Joe public goes in and they sell to him at shelf price. A trader goes in who has an account and they'll typically give a 15/20/25% discount "for trade".

Trademen who buy parts make "profit" by charging their time and also by profiting on the parts used. It's life.

Still not sure why you're so obsessed with that side of your problem. Howdens have a "trade only" policy but it's really just a marketing gimmick.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    21.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    haguiera wrote: »
    Nobody will fit it this side of Christmas either!! And that’s if the items ever materialise!!
    he had some “preferred fitters that he would ask to squeeze us in” but at our own cost.

I certainly accept that you'd rather have it fitted by someone that you have chosen. But, I'd at least speak to whoever it is the manager suggests.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,

if your fitter fits kitchens, does he not have a trade account with Howdens, and could've got you a good deal, or is he a cowboy?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides