Vodafone BB mid contract price rise £2.50 or commit to new 18 month contract

Options
Just received a £2.50 price rise notification that will start 12 months into my 18 month contract unless I sign up to a new 18 month contract now (currently £20/month for superfast 1).

Stay or leave or other?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends upon what the other would be and any price rises to come on this other .
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    Options
    How much p.m. for new contract?
    There is a £130 amazon gift card with 23 p.m. for new customer which work out £16 a month
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The regulator looks on providers unfavourably if they raise prices above the rate of inflation. Is this £2.50 include VAT or not?
    I left BT in 2016 because they didn't inform me of the increase. If you don't agree with the increase then you should be allowed to leave without penalty. I did even though BT tried to get over £200 off me for early termination. I stated what I had found on the internet and related to the site that said it think it might have being ofcom, I cannot remember it was that long ago.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Yes Ofcom rules re in contract price increases .See Google .

OP should have been informed as to how to leave penalty free in the price notification email .
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just received a £2.50 price rise notification that will start 12 months into my 18 month contract unless I sign up to a new 18 month contract now (currently £20/month for superfast 1).

Stay or leave or other?

I joined Vodafone in January on an 18 month contract @ £20pm. As with you John they told me about a month ago that they were going to raise the price to £22.50 but I could leave penalty free or start another 18 month contract at £20pm. However on chatting to a Vodafone rep he said that any new contract would not be fixed price and that if they put the price up I would also not have the right to leave penalty free. They could therefore put the price up to (say) £40 in January and I would have to suck it up until mid 2021. I think not!

I have therefore switched to Plusnet through this site with a £75 cashback making a net average fixed price of about £16.50 pm if I pay a year's line rental upfront.
  • Dave_®f©
    Options
    Just received the same email mid contract. I'm on the phone waiting to cancel. There will be other better deals available at the moment and also January, I suspect. Only £2.50 increase per month to £23.50 but it's teh principal that I entered an 18 month deal and they want to increase it in month 12.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got similar communication from Vodafone with respect to my fibre broadband which I currently pay £21pcm for. Basically looks like I have three options:

1. Accept a £2.50pcm rise
    2. Recommit to a new 18 month contract at £21 pcm
    3. Leave penalty free

I don't really ser why I should agree to a new 18 month contract just to get the deal I signed up for, and I don't really want to pay an additional £2.50 a month, which leaves me the option of leaving.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether I have to tell them that's what I'm going to do, or what period of time I have to do it in. I'm gonna give them a call in the morning and see what I need to do. Then sign up to a new provider.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • alex69
    alex69 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Also received the notification. I called and was told 30 days of notification are required to cancel.

Is there any difference between cancelling and getting a new contract or having a different provider take over the line?

Are there consequences in terms of setting up fees? And also should the new provider take over the line while the old service is still operational? In this case will this count as a cancellation?
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Take over without cancelling may/will be you breaking the contract and getting charged the balance .
  • alex69
    alex69 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks JJ Egan.

I called to cancel and was offered a 10% discount on the previous price(!) for a new 18m contract. I said I'll think about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure