We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is my gas use so high?

Options

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Getting panic stricken, upset, crying and all the rest wont help you solve your problem thats assuming that you've even got one. Try doing as has been suggested in the last 100 posts and look at what's going on in a rational manner.

Unfortunately keep having a go at the landlord and energy company and getting annoyed,upset, angry, crying etc with them will have a negative effect and they'll all walk away and let you get on with it.
    Ooh, er ! That's quite a reality check. :eek:

But sadly the gist of it is indeed correct, the problem needs investigation and analysis; it can't just be wished away and it certainly won't go away by itself.

However, the positive news is that there's plenty of help available including WHD, Cold Weather Payments and Winter Fuel Allowance depending on the OP's personal circumstances. Citizens Advice can also be very helpful, and of course the forumites are always here to lend a hand. :)

There's really no need for anyone to have stay in bed because of the cold, although it's quite understandable that it can be very enervating. Just persevere !
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    You will find that if you have let your flat go so cold that it is going to take a lot of energy to warm it though. You will now have to warm the fabric of the flat through as well.

It is normal for gas boilers to use more gas when they first fire up as they are warming up the water in the system. Once it is to temperature it then shuts down and uses less.

You have to keep warm. Put the heating on.:(
    Yes, all this, put it on or you will be ill, apply for warm home discount on the grounds you use high percentage of your income for energy, and any other means private to yourself.
    You can also apply for grants to pay bills, but now you MUST put the heating on.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• LostCdn
    LostCdn Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has been kind, gentle and patient with me. Not to mention full of helpful suggestions.
    I have indeed tried all those things - I am not eligible. While to me a wee tiny flat costing £4/day in gas that's barely on is a lot, I am not considered low income and can't access the supports and I talked to a complaints manager a sse said it's the engineers that can't fit me in before Feb. I don't qualify for a speed up bc I don't have medical conditions.

And yes I have been tracking the meter usage and calculated it and it does seem to match the cost coming off but I still don't see how so much is being used by a boiler for a teeny wee flat.
    I feel the wind through the bedroom wall no matter what I do and the flat was misadvertised as double glazed but it's single. When I complained the landlord told me I should just move. It is stressful and costly so yea, I have been crying bc I'm doing all the right things and keeping track and nothing is working so I am indeed frustrated and sad and angry. Maybe it won't get me anywhere but it's a normal reaction to an issue that seems impossible to fix at the minute. Doesn't mean I'm not trying to fix it, what it does mean is that I am at my wit's end and rude - if true - comments aren't going to help. So with respect, thanks but I don't want your help. As I've said I'm trying my best here and do not understand how this (Sorry but archaic) British heating systems work.

I appreciate everyone who has been immensely kind and your helpful suggestions. I'm picking up a few rugs this week hopefully to help with the floor and am generally just thinking I'll move in the new year if I can find the will. And thinking I'll cover the bedroom walls with blankets because it's so windy in the bedroom even with two pairs of curtains and plastic even with heat on.

What would help to know is if the radiators with TRVs (all but the hallway which has nothing) don't heat up between 1-3 but do between 4-5 does that mean they need bled? I asked the landlord to add a trv to the one radiator using the most heat that is in a place least needed, the hallways and again she suggested I move.
    I am currently keeping all radiators with TRVs on about 3-4 and hot water on combi boiler at the 2-3 dot though the water always takes forever to heat up.

Thanks again (especially to Gerry1) for your helpful suggestions and I'll leave you alone.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Costs nothing to bleed the rads.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A TRV is not a volume control. If the room temperature is above the level to which it is set then it will shut off the water flow and the radiator will go cold until the room temperature drops back below the threshold. That's how it's supposed to work; it's essentially binary, just like a fridge thermostat makes the motor turn on and off at intervals.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Try turning all of your TRV's on full. All of your radiators should then heat up and pump some heat into the flat.

We have to have all of ours on full to stop the boiler cycling in and out as the developers in their ultimate wisdom have fitted a boiler that is far too big for the house!!

Also try and find the source of the draughts and do what you can to reduce the worst of them. Although remember not to block up vents which are there for ventilation of the property.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 December 2019 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Moving is the only option. If the draughts are as bad as you say, then you're effectively heating outdoors because all your warmth is being cooled by the incoming cold air.

Did you view the flat and its single glazed double glazing before signing up? If not, you're wiser for the next property.

Ask about glazing, ask about heating, ask about meters, ask about average bills/consumption. Of course bear in mind that letting agents are often ignorant of the facts and will lie, just to give an answer. But if, for example, you ask about heating and hot water, check whether there's a hot tank or if it's a combi. If they say there's a hot tank, ask to see it - is it well insulated (one with foam formed around it) is there an immersion heater as backup, does it work? If it's a combi, turn on a hot tap, check that the boiler fires up and see how long hot water takes to arrive. Ask to see the gas safety certificate. Generally be a pain in asking questions and if you feel you're being fobbed off, walk away. If it's electricity only, don't even view.

Best option is a purpose built block, middle floor, mid block so that you're insulated by the flats around you.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    Moving is the only option. If the draughts are as bad as you say, then you're effectively heating outdoors because all your warmth is being cooled by the incoming cold air.

Did you view the flat and its single glazed double glazing before signing up? If not, you're wiser for the next property.

Ask about glazing, ask about heating, ask about meters, ask about average bills/consumption. Of course bear in mind that letting agents are often ignorant of the facts and will lie, just to give an answer. But if, for example, you ask about heating and hot water, check whether there's a hot tank or if it's a combi. If they say there's a hot tank, ask to see it - is it well insulated (one with foam formed around it) is there an immersion heater as backup, does it work? If it's a combi, turn on a hot tap, check that the boiler fires up and see how long hot water takes to arrive. Ask to see the gas safety certificate. Generally be a pain in asking questions and if you feel you're being fobbed off, walk away. If it's electricity only, don't even view.

Best option is a purpose built block, middle floor, mid block so that you're insulated by the flats around you.

More modern purpose built flats tend to be all electric which would rule them out!

And also with the amount of new topics on other parts of the forum about neighbour noise transmission between flats you would be wise to try to get a feel for that as well.

To be honest I would say that moving is your best bet as well as you are clearly unhappy with this property. Just stay warm prior to moving. £4 per day is a small price to pay for your health.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport