Why is my gas use so high?

Options

Comments

• LostCdn
    LostCdn Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all.
    So yes I have a tenancy agreement but there's been a lot of dodgy stuff including illegal fees.. I'm well aware of all that tribunal stuff as I've been through it before with a dodgy landlord but wasn't aware of the gas safety certificate.
    After a lot of nagging on my part they gave me the number for their gas engineer who agrees something isn't right. He'll come have a look tomorrow. He thinks it must be the meter.

As for my supplier, they are convinced it's not the meter and the last thing I want is another charge. However I've just realised that getting the switch to a credit meter from bulb would mean paying £120 for the switch and with sse it is free so I think I'll cancel my switch to bulb and get the credit meter from SSE which I imagine means if there's a meter fault that should resolve it as it means a new meter.....would that be a correct assumption?
    I'll update you tomorrow on what the gas engineer says. Really hoping this gets settled soon!
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Great stuff, good luck, will be waiting for the update.
    Make a list of things to ask that gas engineer about.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• notbritishgas
    Options
    OP
    Just a point about the 1 unit used with the boiler off.
    How did you switch the boiler off, at the mains or just switch the heating off.
    I say this because some combi boilers have a small reservoir of hot water inside the boiler so you always have instant hot water. Every so often the boiler will fire up to maintain this hot water.
  • LostCdn
    Options
    Okay so SSE said they'd install a smart meter for me but earliest was mid Feb! I won't last like this until mid Feb
    So, crying, I asked if I could just get a normal credit meter and they are installing one this weekend. They did say there are the same issues with the old credit meters though. But at least that means if it's my meter itself at least I should see that change with the new 'old' credit meter. Is there anything I can do or ask when they install to ensure its not an issue with the new credit meter?

Engineer should come tonight. So by next week if I have the same issues it's gotta be the flat but I'm also going to ask the neighbour across what she pays to get a sense of what's "normal"
    Does this all sound good? Have I missed anything?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would be a good idea to get a video of the meter misbehaving, but you'd have to switch the gas off using the lever. In any case, you really do need to know where it is for safety reasons, you don't want to be desperately searching for it if you smell gas in the middle of the night. Then if your consumption drops dramatically with the new meter at least you'll have some evidence to ask for a rebate.

Ideally switch the gas off before the fitter is due and demonstrate the problem if it's happening then.

You'll always be able to read the meter even if the gas is off. Modern meters have a long life battery but you may need to press a few buttons. Make sure you get the instructions and check that the meter starts at all zeros.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LostCdn wrote: »
    I will be out of town for the holidays but back to Glasgow on the 2 of Jan.
    Remember to leave the heating on low before you go, e.g. 12[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]°[/FONT]C. Also switch off the water at the stopcock to minimise the damage if there is a burst pipe.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Okay so SSE said they'd install a smart meter for me but earliest was mid Feb! I won't last like this until mid Feb
    So, crying, I asked if I could just get a normal credit meter and they are installing one this weekend. They did say there are the same issues with the old credit meters though. But at least that means if it's my meter itself at least I should see that change with the new 'old' credit meter. Is there anything I can do or ask when they install to ensure its not an issue with the new credit meter?

Engineer should come tonight. So by next week if I have the same issues it's gotta be the flat but I'm also going to ask the neighbour across what she pays to get a sense of what's "normal"

Don't forget to keep submitting meter readings to SSE when you get the new credit meter fitted. If your gas useage is still high you will still have to pay for it!
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,605 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Sounds like progress. At least you'll be changing from PAYG to credit. Presumably they'll put you on their standard tariff, which is their most expensive, but you'll be able to change that.
    Do photograph the existing meter and reading before it is removed. Also photograph the "new" one after it is installed. If it is a reconditioned old meter (which it probably will be) the reading may not start at zero. Photograph it! The installer should leave a card on the new meter saying what the old reading was (if relevant with PAYG) and what the new one started at. He should inform the supplier too, but that doesn't always happen IME, which is when the card he leaves, and your photographs, come in useful.
    The engineer will also check that the pipework in your flat after the meter holds its pressure, so you'll be reasonably confident there isn't a serious leak. He won't be able to check that the pipework doesn't also supply another flat though.

Good luck, hope it goes well!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bear in mind that all the focus in this thread is on the meter, but it could be the gas valve in the boiler that is leaking or, as stated above, there's pipework feeding another flat. As stated, photograph everything meter related and keep taking regular readings with the new meter.
  • LostCdn
    edited 5 December 2019 at 11:36PM
    Options
    Wee update - engineer said he can't come until sat so he's coming after meter installed.
    I decided to test meter again and turned the boiler off for an hour and a half. Bear in mind I had it off all day from 9 until 530. the meter index did not change. So I am going crazy as I was certain it was that.
    Then I turned boiler on, on low for about half an hour and turned it off again meter went up by two units.
    So that must mean the gas passing through must be way higher than used or it's getting caught somewhere or....so it seems less and less like it's the meter now.
    So will an engineer check things to figure out what it is in a simple safety check visit or will I need to ensure he checks other things - and if so - what?

Hell obviously check if there's some leak but he doesn't think there is from our phone conversation because he said I'd smell it.
    There is no thermostat, well there is but it's not used as there are valves on most but not all radiators. So I wonder if possibly the radiators that are not able to be turned now may be the problem?
    I spoke to my neighbour in the flat across. She said she says home bc she doesn't work, heat on always, and her electric and gas come to £60/month both. So it can't be the flat itself....
    Flat is an old Glasgow tenement so fairly sure it's not a converted flat. Definitely terribly or zero insulation but that's not just my flat that's all old tenements and why would my postcode be giving such a low estimate if everyone in the area has this kind of flat? So it can't be the flat itself. So there's something with the actual usage or the amount being used. He seems to think boiler will be fine because it's only a year old although it makes noises ALL the damn time.
    But I've heard that's normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport