Why is my gas use so high?

Options

Comments

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For what it's worth we received the gas safety certificate for the house we're renting three weeks before moving in, after paying a holding deposit but before paying the full deposit & first month's rent.

If you were not provided with an in date gas safety certificate on or before your moving in date then it looks like the landlord is breaking the law. Was a letting agent involved?
  • LostCdn
    LostCdn Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so so so much for all the advice.
    I really appreciate it and honestly you've gotten me through this week! No joke!!!

So I was empowered by you (lol) and was very stern and the gas engineer came to do the safety certificate and the landlord and his wife came by to observe.
    The engineer agreed I'm paying too much but also said he can't tell why bc the boiler is fine and there are no leaks.
    He also cut the hole in the wall at their request. They are now "prioritizing" this to ensure I'm able to get it resolved.
    Allegedly they do get gas safety done every year on 5 December they just never showed me, which I believe in itself is a crime and I advised them of that.
    So now that the boiler and the gas seems alright, I guess it's back to SSE to beg them to get in another meter fitter before freaking February so I can actually use my heat and hopefully if it's the meter itself that resolves this nightmare. Though I'm having my doubts as I just feel like flat is cursed. The meter if faulty would surely show even more incorrect figures than £4/day (though to be fair that's on very low use), as all other forums I've read seem to have people whose meters show like, £10-20/day or hifher? So I am wondering now if maybe somehow it's just this much? Though with only one boiler running only five small radiators and one shower I cannot for the life of me understand how.

Thank you again for your help. I've taken pictures and have kept a document of all the things they are illegally doing (including no safe deposit etc which I've dealt with in the past and know my rights on it, but adds to list of law breaking) and false advertisement (flat ad said double glazing but only after moving in I realized it's actually single glazing). I will update as soon as the meter is replaced, and cross fingers and toes this nightmare can end :)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have you pressed the button to check there is no debt still attached to the meter?

I know SSE are saying there isn't, but it would be worth a quick look for your own benefit as you shouldn't be getting through that much a week.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • LostCdn
    Options
    Yes, I've looked and looked and they've also said there isn't. It makes no sense.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LostCdn wrote: »
    The meter if faulty would surely show even more incorrect figures than £4/day (though to be fair that's on very low use), as all other forums I've read seem to have people whose meters show like, £10-20/day or higher?
    [School Headmaster Mode] nono.gif
    You're going to be in detention because you haven't done your homework ! See Post 81. You still seem to be thinking in £ obtained straight from a potentially misleading dodgy algorithm instead of directly reading the cubic metres used, then working out the kWh and then the £ cost based on your published tariff. That's the only way to avoid uncertainty. Of course, the results should match up (after allowing for the standing charge), and if they don't it may give a clue to your problem.
    [/ School Headmaster Mode]

Now that you can access the switch-off valve, have you considered turning the gas off overnight and when you're out? That would reduce the risk of unauthorised use by someone else's apparatus connected downstream of your meter, especially if the meter is inside your flat. BTW, does there seems to be any valid reason why the switch off valve was boarded up? Was it part of a careless redecoration or was it to cover up dodgy pipework disappearing off somewhere unknown?
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Any update?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• LostCdn
    Options
    I'm tired and in tears. I've absolutely had it.
    Yesterday was so windy I could feel the wind through the walls in my room, so cold I couldn't get out of bed because it was the only way to stay warm. I'm so fed up.
    SSE now saying they don't install heritage meters so they can only do a smart meter and the earliest is late February. I feel like I'm stuck and I'm so cold and think moving into this flat was the worst decision of my life.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2019 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Do you qualify for SSE's Priority Services Register? If so, that could speed things up. Ditto the Warm Home Discount?

In any case, making you wait until February to have a credit meter is unreasonable because it's costing you money. Tell them you're making a formal complaint and will go to the Ombudsman if necessary; ask them to send you a deadlock letter if they won't play ball. Start by making a free call to their Careline on 0800 622 838. They may well be more helpful than the previous agent.

In the meantime, what are the daily meter readings, and does the meter still clock up when you've switched the supply off at the meter? It would be good to do this anyway when you're not using heating in case there is some unauthorised usage going on. You need to establish that something irregular isn't happening, investigating and evidence is the only way to address this problem.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,414 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    LostCdn wrote: »
    I'm tired and in tears. I've absolutely had it.
    Yesterday was so windy I could feel the wind through the walls in my room, so cold I couldn't get out of bed because it was the only way to stay warm. I'm so fed up.
    SSE now saying they don't install heritage meters so they can only do a smart meter and the earliest is late February. I feel like I'm stuck and I'm so cold and think moving into this flat was the worst decision of my life.

You will find that if you have let your flat go so cold that it is going to take a lot of energy to warm it though. You will now have to warm the fabric of the flat through as well.

It is normal for gas boilers to use more gas when they first fire up as they are warming up the water in the system. Once it is to temperature it then shuts down and uses less.

You have to keep warm. Put the heating on.:(
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As said above, just looking at what a boiler uses in the first hour or two is pointless, because it's going full blast until the thermostats take over, the same with hot water if you've got a combi boiler - it goes flat out just to pull through a couple of gallons to rinse your hand in warm water.

Getting panic stricken, upset, crying and all the rest wont help you solve your problem thats assuming that you've even got one. Try doing as has been suggested in the last 100 posts and look at what's going on in a rational manner.

Unfortunately keep having a go at the landlord and energy company and getting annoyed,upset, angry, crying etc with them will have a negative effect and they'll all walk away and let you get on with it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport