PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

20 20s for 2020

Options

Comments

• radioles1408
    Options
    Thought I'd post a wee update

1. Drink 20 glasses hot water with lemon per month 9/20
    2. Do 20,000 steps per week (I know this is low, but I’m recovering from a back injury. I will increase this to 2 x 20,000 per week once I am regularly achieving the 20,000).Managed 32k this week, so 3/52. Once I have 4 weeks in a row greater than 20 k, I will increase it to 30k as my next challenge
    3. Have 20 alcohol free days per month. 19/20 so far
    4. Try 20 new fish/vegetarian recipes.1/20 slow cooker mushroom risotto
    5. Sit down together for family meals 20 times.0/20
    6. Go to 20 performances (gigs, theatre, cinema).1/20
    7. Have 20 family days out.1/20
    8. Have 20 catch ups with friends.0/20
    9. Have 20 nights out with OH.1/20 Had a great night at DH's work ceilidh and dinner dance last night, don't feel so good today
    10. Have 20 outings with Mum and Dad. 1/20
    11. Try 20 new restaurants or cafes.0/20
    12. Read 20 fiction books.Finished my second one of the year-Gifted and Talented by Wendy Holden 2/20
    13. Read 20 non-fiction or classic books.0/20
    14. Listen to 20 new albums on Spotify1/20
    15. Enter 20 competitions/weekDone 2/52Probably not hit 20 yet this week
    16. 20 minutes of activity time per week (This can be Duolingo, attending a class, joining a group or going for a walk or swim. Just not sitting on FB or playing Candy Crush or Tsum Tsums!).This is not really going well, but due to start a new beginners yoga course this week 1/52
    17. 20 donations to foodbank or other charities (this can be time, money or goods).2/20 so far 2 bags of stuff to Project Gambia
    18. Declutter 20 items per month (ties in with other challenges I’m doing).56/20 so far this month- this is going well(1/12)
    19. Donate/give away 20 books.10/20-part of the Project Gambia donation
    20. Sell 20 things on Ebay/FB.0/20

I've updated the post above. Some things are going well, others are proving a bit challenging!
    Hope you are all doing well.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    1) The hubbster and I will eat 20 veggie/vegan meals a month. 15/20
    2) Come up with and implement 20 new eco ideas.Saved a damaged chimenea that FIL was going to take to the tip. The hubbster mended the doors etc and is now in working order. Went to a present swapping event. Cut up a marked duvet cover to make rags. Started having milk delivered twice a week. Went to our local transition town event and got all our potatoes and onions instead of ordering through a big national company bonus no plastic.5/20
    3) Save 20 £20 notes. 1/20
    4) Try 20 veggie/vegan new recipes.2/20
    5) Say hello or have conversations with 20 random strangers a month.15/20
    6) Try 20 new hobbies or groups.Joined postcards of kindness facebook group, if anybody is interested in joining https://www.facebook.com/groups/PostcardsOfKindness/?ref=bookmarks 1/20
    7) All housework to cease at 20:20.26/31
    8) Visit 20 new places.
    9) Replace 20 car journeys with the bus/train/bike.2/20
    10) Lose 20lbs.starting weight 10st 8lbs I appear to be going in the opposite direction:rotfl:
    11)Declutter 20 items a month.20/20
    12) Donate 20 items a month to the food bank.20/20
    13) Use the libary 20 times for book/dvd instead of buying them.4/20
    14) Play 20 board games/games with the family.9/20 - kerplunk x2, turbo top trumps x2, mousetrap x2, cludeo, tutum lootum x2
    15) Eat in the garden 20 times.
    16) Plant 20 bee/butterfly/moth friendly plants. primroses (native), cowslips, ox-eyed daisy 8/20
    17) Wear 20 items from my wardrobe that I didn't wear in 2019 (all those not worn by the end of 2020 to be donated to charity).1/20
    18) Do 20 litter picks a month on my dog walks.15/20
    19) Donate to 20 seperate charities (money or items).Donated 20 items to local dog rescue charity/donated money to WWF koala protector. Web address if anybody is interested https://support.wwf.org.uk/koala-protector 2/20
    20) Have 20 minutes of meaningful me time per day.12/31
    Hope everyone is enjoying their 20 20's
    CRx
  • Lurker1972
    Options
    Just a quick thank you from me Lurker1972 for starting this thread. I'm not sure you intended it to take off as it has but it's a great idea. I hope you don't feel it's been hijacked and are more like the proud parent, reflecting on your baby's achievements so far! :T

Hey I’ve finally refound the quote button! I didn’t expect anyone would want to start their own mission, but am absolutely the proud parent.

Made a tweak to my 20 walks as it was going to be too easy. It’s now 20 litter picking walks. So far we are 2/20 so we’ve removed two bags (2nd bag much bigger than the other) of drink cans n bottles from the streets. Straight into the recycling bin they went.

The one I am most surprised about is the £20s, as we are now on 5/20. I really thought this would be harder. Hopefully, we’ll hit 20 early on and carry on
    I do not make mistakes, I learn lessons.
    I work to live, not live to work.
    I love to live & live to love.
    Good enough is exactly that.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    well done on the litter picking walks
    CRx
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Update after one month......

1. Lose 20 pounds (which will bring me to my own target of being a 'normal' weight...down from obese iii)...8 pounds lost this month...includes the bigger first week, mainly water!)

2. Make 20 donations to charity (1/20)

3. Write 20 letters (not eMails….handwritten...some older relatives like to get a 'real' letter) (1/20)

4. Make 20 crafted items (embroidered cards...knitted hats/bags et.c) (1/20...knitted a Christmas stocking with leftover wool...off to wool shop to buy new stash for new projects!)

5. Drink 20 glasses of water a week (not coffee/tea...not fizz...just good old, plain water....20 glasses a week is around 3 a day....coffee et.c will still be drunk, but in addition to the water, hoping to up my fluid intake)...minimum of 3 glasses a day...often more...well on track

6. Read 20 fiction books...new-to-me ones not rereading of old favourites....books and kindle will count 1/20 complete...read Refuge for the Chalet School...more than half way through Strangers on a Train, loving it!

7. Read 20 non -fiction books...including some that have been on my bookshelf for some time! (0/20 complete...but current have 3 partly read)

8. Put 20 coins a week into my piggy bank. (20 coins easily this month)

9. Tell myself 20 times that I am beautiful! (Serious body issues here!!!)(felt a bit odd, but have looked in the mirror and said 'good morning beautiful!....2/20)

10. Linked to number 9...I have been given the word 'beautiful' as my word for the year in Bible Journaling...I will journal 20 pages in my Bible on this word. 0/20....need work on this in February!)

11. Donate/Give away 20 books (limited bookshelf space...and I suspect new books will be given for Christmas...this will clear up space!...20 over a year is less than 2 a month!)... officially 0/20 BUT have a big pile ready to sort through)

12. I will write 20 thankyou letters to companies - it is so easy to complain...if people do a good job they deserve praise!...emails will count...letters are better! (0/20...but WILL do some this week!)

13.I will watch 20 'new' programmes on TV.....that are new to me...I tend to watch the same old stuff.....I will try some new things...maybe only one episode but it will give me a chance to see what the fuss is with some shows!....( 5/20...quite a few new shows on in January...watched a few...some I will NOT watch again!!!)

14. I will wear jewellery 20 times (I have a lovely little box with earrings and necklaces et.c...and I so rarely wear them...I sort of think I'll keep them for 'special' days...well, every day is special!!! 2/20....have also worn my wigs in the house!!!)

15. Earn 20 OpenLearn certificates rewrote this one...and I am LOVE LOVE LOVING this!...9/20!!!!...some of them are very short course, currently enrolled on longer ones)

16. I will accept help from people 20 times with my disabilities...I am a right little tinker about overdoing things because I want to 'do it myself'...which is commendable, but I also need to accept my limitations!...2/20

17. I will write 20 pages (minimum!) ...I would love to commit to more, but need to be realistic...and maybe getting 20 done will inspire me to do over this! ( I have 2 books I am working on...one is non-fiction...almost finished...last chapter or so, and then need to do the reworking/rewrite of a few earlier bits, this is a personal project...the other is more exciting really...I have a novel in me.....more than one...and this one is telling me it wants to be written! something tells me that once I get going I will do rather more than 20 pages of this!!!) 0/0 actually written, but the characters have been demanding I get down to some writing SOON!!!

18. I will write 20 pages with Mum...she is writing her life story...she dictates to me in German, I type it out for her on the laptop...we didn't get much done over the past few months! 0/20...lets just say there has been NO time for this..but it will get done

19. Remove all size 20 (and larger) items from my wardrobe...I am NEVER going to fit into them again!...not sure if I have 20 items in the wardrobe...but will count those already in the charity bag! (charity shop was closed over Christmas so I haven't donated them yet! 0/20 donated...but the bag is there...just need to get moving

20. "Earn" 20 Guide Badges ….12/20!!!....this does seem high for a month!...BUT it includes all the easy ones for me...Hostess....Interpreter (piece of cake for me!)...and I am St Johns Ambulance trained for various first aid tasks so that exempted me some clauses of various badges!....My Mum acts as 'tester for me...and she is STRICT...much stricter than the actual testers I used to know!...although she reminds me she used to test for the Brownies and Guides!
  • MediumDino
    Options
    MediumDino wrote: »
    I love this idea:
    1. 20 parkruns4/20 done, 2 runs and 2 volunteers
    2. knit 20 items0/20, haven't knitted anything yet
    3.20 20 minute conversations in Irish (I'm learning)1/20, had a lovely morning conversation
    4. write 20 letters (paper)2/20
    5. read 20 books I own but have never read3/20, only 3 out of the 13 books I've read were ones I own, mostly they come from the library
    6. 20 minutes of housework on 20 days per month16/20 for january
    7. 20 swims in the sea0/20 to dark after work at the moment
    8. learn 20 pieces (on piano, cello, ukelele or singing)I've started 2 but don't know any yet
    9.20 gardening sessions1/20
    10. 20 scenic walks1/20
    11. find 20 geocaches3/20 had real trouble finding any, but got 2 yesterday
    12. use 20 new recipes2/20, this is really encouraging me to use the cookbooks I borrow form the library
    13. 20 parkour sessions0/20
    14. donate 20 items0/20
    15. 20 litter picks2/20
    16. do 20 Guides badges5/20
    17. make 20 eco-decisions ( upcycle, reuse, repurpose, refuse, compost etc)2/20, mended rather than returned and got new; cycled rather than drove
    18. 20 minutes of writing a week for 20 weeks2/20
    19. 20 tech/internet/screen free evenings0/20
    20.make an album of 20 photographs
    0/20

Not doing too badly at the moment. It is a bit uneven, though I suspect some months just will be more outdoorsy/busier etc
    NST January Turtles number 25
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 January 2020 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Update after one month:

- [ ] Save 20 x £20 (for Christmas) - going to wait for the new notes to come out.
    - [ ] Save 20 x £2 coins a month (£480) (1/12)
    - [ ] Read 20 books from my bookcase (4/20)
    - [ ] Watch 20 films or box sets - (4/20)
    - [ ] Listen to 20 new albums on Spotify
    - [ ] Cook / bake 20 new recipes (1/20)
    - [ ] Declutter 20 items a month (240) (20+/240)
    - [x] Make 20 cards (Christmas cards) (20/20)
    - [ ] Make 20 birthday cards
    - [ ] 20 acts of kindness to other family / friends (2/20)
    - [ ] 20 acts of kindness to hubby (1/20)
    - [ ] 20 Date nights with Hubby (2/20)
    - [ ] 20 lazy days (3/20)
    - [ ] 20 Swims
    - [ ] Visit 20 new places of interest / experience (Holiday, theatre, castles, concerts) (2/20) (Taunton races; Royal Albert Hall - Cirque du Soleil)
    - [ ] Attend 2 yoga class for 20 weeks (instead of 1 class)
    - [ ] Walk / use public transport 20 times instead of using the car (3/20)
    - [ ] Make 20 eco changes / incl upcycle items
    - [ ] Shop 20 times local businesses / farm shops (3/20)
    - [ ] 20 healthy changes (intermittent fasting/ healthy choice / early to bed/ computer off by 10pm)
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

1) 20 extra payments into my mortgage. 3

2) Lose over 20lbs+.

3) Find 20 geocaches.

4) Read 20 books. 1

5) 20 DIY jobs round the house and garden. 2 (gutter mended plus shower hose replaced).

6) 20 days freelance, and finish the project by the deadline. 3

7) 20 Ebay sales.

8) 20 long walks.

9) 20 craft things to give instead of Christmas cards next year.

10) 20 new Christmas decorations made for us. (Not necessarily 20 completely different ones).

11) 20 cost cutting measures (e.g change suppliers) 1 (Bulb)

12) 20 new meals.

13) 20/20 eye test. done

14) 20 paintings or photos up in the house.

15) 20 mins of Duolingo Welsh 3 times a week. 30 days done in January

16) 20 new ingredients that I have never cooked with before.

17) 20 trips out with son 2. 2 (football match and cinema)

18) 20 jars of preserve.

19) 20 steps to make son 2's life easier. 1 (radar key)

20) 20 eco friendly measures. 1 (shopping bags)
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2020 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Made my 2nd seasonal soup today - this time parsnip. dry fried ginger, ground coriander and curry powder, meantime softened onion in pan, added spices, 2 chopped parsnips, 1 stock cube and 600 ml water. cooked till parsnips soft, whizzed with hand blender, added a dash of sherry. soooo good :P also 1st donation to food bank (as first big shop at mr t) and first 2 symphonies listened to (Beethoven 7th followed by Beethoven 9th). eco challenge 3, remembered to take empty lunch box to curry house and took home the left-overs, and a few more km walked :D
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2020 at 7:55PM
    Options
    Quick update for January. Plenty of scope to do better in February, but I try and remember that I have done more than I would have done if they weren't on the list.

The reason why there are so many books is that DH set me a task to read 7 books in 7 days, which boosted my total.

20 minutes of French on 20 days of the month (12/20; stopped duolingo and started on the free Michel Thomas youtube videos then bought a secondhand copy of the beginner course off ebay)
    20 minutes journalling each morning (31/31)
    Minimum 20 minutes tidying the garden on 20 days of the month (9/20)
    20 x 45 minute workouts a month (5/20)
    Lose 20lbs (1.6lbs a month) (1/20)
    Read 20 classic fiction books this year (2/20)
    Read 20 non-classic fiction books this year (8/20)
    Read 20 non-fiction books this month (3/20)
    Declutter 20 items a month (27/20)
    Identify 20 medium to long-term life goals (26/20)
    Spend 20 minutes a day working on my career in some way (10/21)
    Say yes to 20 social activities this year (2/20)
    Suggest 20 social activities this year (7/20)
    Get involved at work 20 times this year (0/20)
    Try 20 new recipes (2/20)
    Work on changing a bad habit for 20 minutes a day (every day since my last update when this changed, mostly tidying up after myself and working on a different room every day)
    Finish 20 outstanding DIY jobs in the house this year (1/20)
    See 20 performances/events this year (2/20)
    Update blog 20 times a month (5/20)
    Make unsolicited contact with others 20 times a month (22/20)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback