Online shop and given bottle of alcohol with security tag on

Options
Could anyone advise me on my rights regarding this matter please? As part of an online grocery shop, I purchased a bottle of alcohol on which it turned out the the security tag was still attached (was in a box so presumably that's why they didn't realise when picking my shop). I've emailed customer services and all the rude representative has given me the options of is either returning it with my next online shop, or taking it to a store myself to have the tag removed and ask them for compensation. My argument is that I've paid this particular online supermarket for a useable item to be delivered to my house at a certain time/date. He's point blank refusing me a voucher as a gesture of goodwill to cover petrol/inconvenience. Where do I stand with this? Any advice gratefully received :cool:

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dawnhduk wrote: »
    Could anyone advise me on my rights regarding this matter please? As part of an online grocery shop, I purchased a bottle of alcohol on which it turned out the the security tag was still attached (was in a box so presumably that's why they didn't realise when picking my shop). I've emailed customer services and all the rude representative has given me the options of is either returning it with my next online shop, or taking it to a store myself to have the tag removed and ask them for compensation. My argument is that I've paid this particular online supermarket for a useable item to be delivered to my house at a certain time/date. He's point blank refusing me a voucher as a gesture of goodwill to cover petrol/inconvenience. Where do I stand with this? Any advice gratefully received :cool:

He has suggested you ask for compensation when you return to the shop. Why would he send you vouchers when you might not take it to the shop?

Surely, compensation when you return it is sufficient.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried speaking to the store that delivered it?

They may be willing to have a driver stop by during a route to swap it over or remove the tag.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or just remove it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H1oNWcv0Cg
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    It happened to me one and I just cut it off. Didn't even occur to me to ask for compo.
  • dawnhduk
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I've sent him photographic evidence of the tag attached to the bottle. And what would I do with a £20 bottle of alcohol which is unusable in its current state? Pocket the voucher and still be £15 out of pocket?! Is the onus not on the shop to provide me with the item I ordered in a useable condition? Why should I spent more time and money rectifying a problem they caused when I may or maybe not be compensated afterwards? Not being funny with you, just genuinely interested. When this has happened before with another online shopping company, they immediately refunded the whole cost of the bottle! :eek: I'm not saying I was expecting that, but even a token £5 voucher would have sufficed 🤷🏻!♀️
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yea be honest you want a refund and the bottle, you must be really unlucky if this has happened before or lust looking for a quick 20 quid.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I occasionally order things online from supermarkets, sometimes the order has things missing. It's not a big deal.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 December 2019 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Have you considered either "returning it with your next online shop, or taking it to a store yourself to have the tag removed"?

I'm surprised the store didn't suggest these relatively simple options!

The trouble with supermarkets is that they still use humans and these imperfect creatures make errors.

Perhaps you could insist that they track down the wretched vermin who caused this torment and have him (or her) taken round the back and shot.

Life would be much simpler if everyone was more like you and never make mistakes at work.

I never get anyone coming back to complain about my work although I make loads of mistakes and I'm a cardiac surgeon!!
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • Skibunny40
    Options
    When this has happened to me (quite often!) I've always noticed at the door and the delivery guy has either done the refund on his machine or, when I really needed the item for a gift, they took it back to the store and dropped it back some time later, which I really appreciated. Never had a compo offer though
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just take it to the local store with a print out of your order or on your phone and ask if it can be removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure