Online shop and given bottle of alcohol with security tag on

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm curious, what would the criminal offence be?

And more to the point, how would the store prosecute anyone when they are unaware that the tag has even left the store, never mind where it has gone?

I've just said it on another thread but there should be a sarcasm smiley on here.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just can't believe just how petty some people are - whingeing about a security tag left on a bottle of booze, whilst there's floods, fires, bombs, storms and goodness knows what killing thousands of people every week in various parts of the world ...... perspective?
  • lewis_hardwick
    Options
    Wow! I wonder how OP copes when something really serious happens.
  • couriervanman
    Options
    Wow! I wonder how OP copes when something really serious happens.

Like a few snowflakes;)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just said it on another thread but there should be a sarcasm smiley on here.

I don't believe unholyangel was being sarcastic.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options

Nor do I.
    Whilst it's certainly true that just about all of the advice that unholyangel gives is correct, very often it's the exact law and how it should work in an ideal world but we don't live in an ideal world.

As the security tag should have been removed before the bottle was handed over, it would still be the property of the supplying retailer and as such, they do have the right to reclaim it (at their cost and the OP's convenience) and by cutting it off without permission, the OP would be destroying something that doesn't belong to them.

In reality, the store are not going to want it back and even if they somehow found out about the tag being damaged, the chances of them doing something about it and next to zero.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nor do I.
    Whilst it's certainly true that just about all of the advice that unholyangel gives is correct, very often it's the exact law and how it should work in an ideal world but we don't live in an ideal world.

As the security tag should have been removed before the bottle was handed over, it would still be the property of the supplying retailer and as such, they do have the right to reclaim it (at their cost and the OP's convenience) and by cutting it off without permission, the OP would be destroying something that doesn't belong to them.

In reality, the store are not going to want it back and even if they somehow found out about the tag being damaged, the chances of them doing something about it and next to zero.

:) Fair enough, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :) Fair enough, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Even if they happened to cause damage, I can't see there's criminal intent.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Even if they happened to cause damage, I can't see there's criminal intent.

But would they be reckless?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Perhaps the OP doesn't want to risk committing a criminal offence if they damage the tag while removing it?

can you clear it up

are you being serious :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family