2020 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Small steps but I used a free conditioner sample today, and sewed up a shopping bag instead of throwing it out and getting a new one.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello all

I hope you have all had a sunny day too - it's been gorgeous in this little bit of Devon :cool2:

The last weekday of the holidays so met up with some lovely friends for coffee out. Then we hit the charity shops! I bought an absolutely beautiful piece of embroidery for £1 - it's dated 1915 so I can't understand why they wanted so little for it. I immediately bought a frame for it so it is now pride of place on my bedroom wall. When the ex moved out he took most of the pictures so it is lovely to have something back up!

I also got lots of fabric for £1 a piece - I am teaching myself to sew hoping that I might be able to sell some of my makes.

Managed to walk everywhere (I'd normally be lazy and take the car) so am well over my 10k steps for the day - win/win. I'm hoping not to have to top up the fuel this month, which if possible means I can put the money budgeted for petrol into savings.

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of the ZipZero and Shoppix apps? Someone on one of the boost your income threads recommended them. You get rewarded for submitting photos of your shopping receipts. If you google them there are quite a lot of reviews and there don't seem to be any drawbacks to either.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend :)
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Bella19
    Bella19 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good evening all,

My utility room/ snug makeover is complete :j:j . I feel a big sense of diy achievement. It came in at £105 under budget so I have used the leftover money to buy my kitchen flooring which is £91 including delivery (bought an end of the roll piece which was 50% off) and found a discount code for a further 10% off. The best thing is it matches the other rooms so it will all have a nice flow :).
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A lovely day weather wise here today which always helps my mood. We were out for my mums birthday breakfast today, we'd bought the gift back in October when I saw just what I wanted for her and at 30% off, I also had a "mum" birthday card in my stash so no spend on that today. We were planning on buying brunch but my dad wouldn't let us so I've managed another no spend day.
    We had a lovely long walk in the sunshine before coming back to ours for a coffee & chat sat in the conservatory making the most of the nice day.
    No need for lunch after the big breakfast so just some veg, hummous cheese and crackers tonight.

Going to watch another film with dh tonight from our stash as the kids are happy playing on their computers for a couple of hours.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • ancientmum
    Options
    I had a lovely day out in our local cathedral city with a friend today. Frugal bit was using my bus pass to get there, non -frugal bit was buying lunch out, but it was a bit cold for a picnic.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Ate from stores today and cleaned and decluttered. Got some things from DD2 to put on CBS eBay etc. Also made cushion inserts by combining rubbish old flat cushions. Making covers tomorrow eek.

Biggest win was discovering some BIG cushions from my daughters old stompa bed. DOH and I are planning on making a corner sofa out of two sofas being fused together. We had an IKeaka one and then found the same model on fb for £40. The only thing missing was the additional seat and back cushions which I've solved today. Am chuffed.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Loving the sound of the frugal diy makeovers.

I spent just £2.65 on in a chazzer on some new (to me) accessories yesterday, vases, votives and candle sticks, all in colours to,match my freshly decorated lounge, dead chuffed. Need to think about cushions etc. Going to try and make cushion covers and reuse old pads, might have to add padding on some. On the hunt for fabrics now.

Still eating from stocks. Spent £5.60 from my food budget challenge of £21 for January on a basic top up of milk and veg. Hopefully that should cover me for next week. I've got £15 left but the freezer and cupboards are nice and full. I also realised I have some Sainsbury's points I can use if necessary. Thanks for reminding me about points and vouchers. I had forgotten about them.

I'm actually really enjoying this challenge and I might just manage it.

Need to book the cars MOT.:eek: fingers crossed.
  • 3secondmemory
    Options
    Morning - off to a good start! My bus pass arrived this morning. That’s going to save me a fortune. I should’ve applied for it a year ago but couldn’t even face doing the simple 2 page form!

Target for the weekend is to list at least 3 items on FB to sell - another job I meant to do last year!
  • Joining in the challenge for 2020!

I felt a bit low about money this morning, then read all these super posts and feel motivated and not alone! So many great updates.

Having our first family outing of the new year today, packing lunch, drinks and snacks to take with us. Hoping for a healthier, simpler, finally healthier year.
  • lykkelig
    lykkelig Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I went out to replace my mascara this morning but decided not to bother. No mascara means I also don't have to buy eye make up remover and cotton pads. I'm also not using plastic in choosing the half asleep look. I'm sure I will get used to it.

Secateurs have been cleaned and oiled ready for a new gardening year. They are 5 year old now and I expect them to last many more years.

One more cardboard inner from the kitchen towel saved ready for the sowing of the perennial sweet pea seeds I have. They need a longer growing area for their roots so toilet roll inners, of which is in abundance, are no good.

No more cleaning solution to be purchased as I made a dish soap and white vinegar mix. I'm liking it's cleaning capabilities.

Left over broth for lunch - wasn't a chore, infact tasted better than it did fresh.
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family