Mortgage free and finally in a forever home

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,463
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Had a we had a lovely time in Devon golf was great no one around on the course and hotel really empty. Dg loved it too which was nice as I have so many good memories down there. 

Hot air balloon didn't happen got cancelled night before due to rain which was really gutting. Need to try to book again but won't be down there as so far however our friends do want to try and book again so who knows voucher valid to Dec 2023.

Been getting hot sweats so did e- request  to gp today they are usually quick so see what they say. Hips are playing up but I did a lot of driving and lots of golf even in buggies. 

Got paid today paid off my CC but it's a bit of a mess we have overspent on the joint account as car insurance and other bits all came out this month. Also had to pay for flights to a golf trip in April. Lots of holidays next year so need to try and think of a way to budget and stick to this during the year. 

I will have saved £12k this year so some of that will be spent on holidays and golf membership for all of next year. 

We're due to have friends come down this weekend but they aren't out now this will be bliss as we've had so many. It's also expensive to host people constantly so will be nice with some peace and better for the diet.  

Still have 8 days leave left until Christmas so might need to spend one or two days. I do have all my exFIL probate stuff to send out so might do this one day. I'll see. Also want to get my new sewing cabinet sorted. 

Anyway gym tonight then chill out so tired.  
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Lovely bank holiday without visitors so played golf got a few jobs finished around the house and chilled. 

Won the team competition yesterday did play well. £25 won added to my card so won’t need to top it up for a while to pay for competitions. 

Joint finances quite broke so I’m having to put things on my credit card. It will all be paid off but it’s definitely a case of cost of living and having so many visitors. Hopefully now can get back on straight an narrow and build up a cushion before winter hits. Dog is on the cusp of earning some actual money after going self employed but I might have to contribute more for a while. 

Garden is looking really nice out the front. Cut down a big laurel made a huge difference and now have space underneath for bulbs etc which is lovely. 

Got GP app (phone call) next week. Getting more used to the hot sweats but not nice. Also feeling irritated all of the time. 

Think that’s it done all my money shuffles as I get paid 23 of the month so £12k in 12 is still on track. 

Planning on taking a day off just for me soon to book a lesson on my sewing machine and also sort my ex FILs papers out. Need a visit to town to see the banks. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Won 2x£25 on Premium Bonds very happy with that. 

Got my cheap Perennial flower order tiny but some nice ones in there. Potted them up I'll post a picture of my collection. Also took some cuttings from last years bedding plants. God knows where they will go once they are bigger but cheap indeed. 

I really love gardening and I love this house even if it's quite limited in space outside. Next door is a field (wild meadow more like it) with paths cut in the grass for people to walk on. It leads to some allotments and also up the back past out house to the next lot of houses. Our garden is a funny shape out the front as the original owners bought a small triangle which is now my front/side garden. Basically I would love to buy another slice of that field to kind of straighten up the garden and make the side much wider. This would also mean I could stick on a side extension which would let in a lot more light and obviously face the field. I've put a quick enquiry in with the council but may not come to anything. Can't really afford to do anything with the land even if I got it right now but still be cheaper to buy i5 now than say in 5 years time. 

Work is fine not too busy still having to learn lots very quickly but getting there I think. 

Should really get up dg left early for her long travel to her other place of work so I'm just chilling in bed. Anyway here are the flowers all potted up. 

Save £12k in 24 No 50

• congrats on your PB win :)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Exciting news heard back from Council they want more details size etc and will pass it on so not a no yet. Very exciting. 

Booked train to go to London Monday to be part of the atmosphere. Meeting friends too we haven’t seen in ages so we’ll worth it. 

Spending not good but still hasn’t got much money do treated here to some new gym pants as a well done for loosing weight. 

Work is fine lots of back to back meetings today so having a little break now. Raining so washing inside on heated airer does cost money but only on 4 hours. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    edited 21 September 2022 at 12:17PM
    Didn’t get anywhere near any of the funeral stuff despite being there at 9am. So busy with people everywhere. Did meet friends which was lovely in a Spoons so quite cheap. Also went to see the flowers afterwards which was very nice and quiet. Then train home at 9am with a Good to go back so only cheap day out really considering it was London. 

Coffee £6.50
    sprite £2 
    wine £24 (2 bottles)
    lunch Spoons £8
    dinner £3 

this was for two people. 

Sent off the measurement for the plot of land with pictures. Can’t wait to hear back. Mind you not really got any money allocated for that kind of spend. 

Got my retirement projections back can definitely afford to retire in 5 years would like it sooner. Need to book follow up appointment with adviser. 

Gym tonight and tomorrow then rush to Comedy Night with friends. Will be a little bit late due to gym but don’t mind less time to drink lol. 

I think that is it for now best get back to work. Here are some pictures of what I am considering re garden. Would love a straight line down between the two end points.  

Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    It was a no to buy the extra land. It's ok shame but might still consider putting a window on that side to get a bit more light into the dinning room.  

Anyway back to saving and being good. 

Gym done 4 classes this week hopefully golf tonight, Saturday and Sunday. Dg did three classes yesterday which was really good. 

Went to a comedy night last night with three friends. Really good fun only spent £27 on drinks and chips (expensive ale house) and £2.50 on a garlic bread to eat on the way home. 

Today work and then off to golf. Not long now for the weekend.  
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    All good here busy with work but played golf at weekend which was good even if we played badly. Also made a load of meals for the freezer a lot of work but super nice and easy to reheat and cook. 

Work ok won a stall at our conference this year didn't think we would get one but I credit my idea for getting it. Hopefully I get to go as well would be so much fun.  

Won £25 on premium bonds nice that it's gone up. 

Sorted all my summer clothes out yesterday now all put away for next year or until Gambia starting to fit into more winter stuff which is nice even if weight is not shifting. 

Doing the scanning of my shopping god it's tedious might not be able to stick with it but will try. 

Need to order some lawn feed for the front lawn really suffered and I want to try and make it look nice for a change.  

DGs old workmates coming down all weekend and then ex BIl and ex SIl on Sunday. Going to be hectic and would rather not have the workmates here all weekend. At least the others are not staying here just coming over and we will go to their hotel so all good and I've not seen them for two years. 

Bailed out of gym tonight as class cancelled could have done another t cannot be asked. Dg away weds night will actually be nice to have some pease to myself. 

Anyway best signed off need to cook dinner. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Busy weekend with two of DGs ex colleagues lots of drinking not from me but it from them and dg. One lost her hand bag on the train and was in tears most of the weekend. Not the most relaxing. Also saw my ex sil and bil which was nice and going down to see them for dinner at their hotel tomorrow. They didn't want to stay with us as needed a bit of peace. 

Feeling a bit lost with my MSE journey as I really need it focus on FIRE had my call with my IFA company on Friday. I can retire at 57 but I don't think at 55. I'm now 52 and dg is 57 already. 

I really want to travel and spend money on making memories and have a good time basically. My iphone will not do face recognition so I need to fix that which. I've tried. My phone is from 2018 so not new.  Dilemma is which model to get last years and do I go Pro or Pro Max as I struggle to read small screens. 

Not very money saving. Thinking of asking a few pension questions on the over 50 forum and then may start a new diary with a whole new focus instead this one which I feel have gone off track to too much. 

Will have a think but first let's survive this week. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Ok so a bit more to ponder over. Went out to dinner with bil and sil this evening. Topic of ex dh's business premises were brought up actually by me as we were talking TR1 property transfer forms. I own the premises as they were wrongly not transferred from ex dhs name to the Ltd company however they did that for tax reasons so not really a mistake. Anyway I inherited it together with 45% of the shares. They tried to sell the company several times but it's not worth anything as such was really the know how and dhs and ex fils expertise that made it worth something. Anyway the property is leasehold bought for £70k+ 30 years ago and still worth not much more. It would rent for £500 a month but pays no rent to me.  

Anyway back to the dilemma bil asked me what I wanted to do with the premises. I was actually surprised so didn't know what to say.  He did bring up the mistake and that it is not worth anything and is more of a headache to me. I agreed it was more of a headache and I didn't have any plans for it as the business in in there. He then said would you consider selling it to me. It would be a headache for him too but he would definitely be interested. 

Bil is very driven by money but I have known him 30 years and we are family however ex dh wasn't the biggest fan of him so I so not feel I owe him anything either plus he is quite well off.  If I sold to him with a small mortgage I could get a buy to let which would help towards retirement income for myself and dg. The rent could clear the mortgage alone within 10 years. Dg has the expertise to run a letting business no issues.  

I said I would think about it and I will but we're seeing them tomorrow and it made it slightly awkward to talk about and they go back on Thursday. I would also want to off load the shares but then there's tax implications and capital gains tax etc. could be very messy but should also be sorted out. 

Gone to bed early had busy day today and tomorrow is proper manic. 

Night night all. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback