Commute costs: how much does it cost you to get to work every month?

Options

Comments

• splishsplash
    Options
    £0-100
    I walk also and have always worked within walking or cycling distance of work.

Time and money spent on commuting would be among my top priorities in choosing where to live, I'm surprised to see you think people don't rate it.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    £0-100
    Brynsam wrote: »
    I think you'll find commuting costs (certainly in London and the south east) are very much something people take notice of, especially if they need to use public transport.

Also, as a regular financial commitment, mortgage lenders now have to take commuting costs into account when assessing affordability. I know a friend of my daughter struggled to borrow the amount needed when they were looking to buy their first home because they were planning to buy a bit further away from their work (where house prices were a bit cheaper) and their commuting costs would increase as a result.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    £0-100
    I walk also and have always worked within walking or cycling distance of work.

Time and money spent on commuting would be among my top priorities in choosing where to live, I'm surprised to see you think people don't rate it.

I agree. I work part time in a low paid job two minutes walk from my home and have looked at full time work in one of the bigger towns closest to me, but would be no better off financially after paying travelling costs plus I would spend about two hours a day travelling (/sitting in traffic) in addition to the extra working hours each day :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    It's a big consideration for me. I'm lucky to live in an area where employment opportunities are good so I have no reason to commute long distances.

I'm lucky that I work a 10 minute drive away and I have a small, economical car so £20 petrol lasts me nearly 3 weeks for work use only. I can get the bus as my stop is just a couple of minutes walk and the bus stops right out side my office but the bus works out more expensive with regular use so I use the bus occasionally.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £0-100
    I make the conscious decision to work close to home. That has meant I have taken lower-paid jobs but I've balanced that by cost and time savings of not having a long commute.

In my area, (North West run down town), public transport is expensive and routes/timestables are extremely limited, so driving is the only realistic option.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Circa 18,000 miles a year (mainly motorway speed) driving commute:

1. £200 a month on diesel
    2. Service every 9 months ~£150 a time
    3. Multiple tyres due to potholes (poor state of roads) ~£55 a corner
    4. Bulbs tend to last circa 10k miles ~£25 a pair, a time
    5. Insurance is quite high due to mileage ~ 30% load (estimated)
    6. Depreciation on a car, doing heavy mileage (bought a 48k mileage 7 year old diesel manual for £5.3k, now worth barely £2k on 97k miles)

Just waiting for the clutch to go (regret not buying an auto!) and need a new cambelt next summer.

I was wondering how deep to go with this.
    I’ve just purchased a new car on HP, technically this is a capital expense, but the annual dep’n will be an expense and the interest.
    I am a required car user so a reliable car is essential.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My first job and the last 8 yrs of my working life (now retired) were the same - nil as I walked. Between these , 2 commutes of approx 4 miles each way and 2 of approx 15 miles each way, all 4 by car.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    £100-200
    I went for the £100-200 but at the moment it’s actually more because I need to pay for a taxi at the end of my shift to take me to the train station which I don’t need to do in summer- as the walk to the station is along an unlit canal path at night and being a lone disabled female I don’t feel safe doing this during autumn/winter when it’s as dark as it is.
    My work is half an hour away by car, I was offered Access to Work but I was told I would need to pay for all my taxis myself and then claim back! This would come to roughly £2k a month and I only earn £900 so I had to decline :D
    I have a disabled persons railcard so I buy a ticket each day as it’s £12 cheaper over the week than a weekly season and about £50 a month cheaper than a monthly season. I have a five hour round trip commute though!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • username901
    Options
    My main clients office is 2 miles away, sometimes I work from home, sometimes I'll bike it in, unless it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, too icy, too foggy, too dark, too bright or too tired. Otherwise according to my mot certificate, I've done 7000 miles in last 36 months. I won't work for a client if I can't see their office from my house.:D
  • annetheman
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and answers in the poll! I guess having the WFH option isn't so bad. Definitely empathise with people who drive a lot for their jobs, I did a few months basically living on the m25 and it was not good on my car or my mental state!

nicechap, I have been offered 2 jobs :T, one in San Fran - same pharma company - one in London, new company. I've chosen the one in the UK. San Fran is super expensive and I wouldn't really be better off --- thanks for keeping up with my life; care to answer the question?

:j
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family