Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2018 at 12:59PM
    Options
    The Energy Club doesnt list my Energy Plan Name ( iFix 21-Month Aug18 ) Can I get this added or should I just work around it.
    I have the same problem with my Avro Energy tariff. I just found another Avro tariff with the same rates in my region for the purpose of comparisons.

Your current tariff is, anyway, of no real consequence except to provide the "savings" figure. You should always concentrate on the costs of a new tariff rather than unreliable "savings" estimates. Calculate the savings for yourself using last years bills based on your actual consumption (not estimates).

Edit
    In the past I have used BG standard variable tariff as my current tariff and totally disregarded any "savings" quoted in the comparisons. I am only interested in the costs for the new tariff. Savings I can work out for myself. You will be lucky, at the moment, to get any real savings at all next year so be wary of any promises to the contrary.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Saver240 wrote: »

My fixed tarif is due to end early October. Switching to the same supplier is my cheapest option, but my bills will be £5/ month more. Should I switch now, or wait until the last minute? I don't want to be paying more for the last month if I could just wait it out. Alternatively can I set the switch date to a month in advance?

Welcome to this forum. :)

Remaining with your existing supplier but moving to one of its other tariffs isn’t “switching”, it's called "changing tariffs" and different rules apply (most notably, you get no "cooling off" period during which you can change your mind). A "switch" is moving to a different supplier.

What you need to bear in mind is that the tariff to which currently you are minded to move may not still be available in a month’s time. It could be withdrawn from offer at any moment: even tomorrow...

If, however, it is available today directly from your existing supplier (as opposed to being available only via a Price Comparison Website) you may well have the option of choosing to delay the start of the new tariff by a month or two. E.ON, for example, will allow you a delay of up to 52 days.

The advantage of this is that you’ll still get, on the appointed date, the tariff that you want, even if it’s been withdrawn from offer in the meantime.

Your best option would be to ring your supplier and ask (if it’s one of those that actually answers the telephone).
  • Limara
    Limara Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Energy Club doesnt list my Energy Plan Name ( iFix 21-Month Aug18 ) Can I get this added or should I just work around it.

Just look at the tariff details I don't think i have ever seen a " saving" that is correct, Compare both unit prices and the daily standing charge. I have have seen one during my search this morning that came up as a saving of so many pounds a year and the unit price of the electric was an amazing close to 18p pkwh! comparing it to under 11p per kwh! Im so fed up with this compare rubbish All i want to do is to enter a postcode and see the unit prices.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Limara wrote: »
    Just look at the tariff details I don't think i have ever seen a " saving" that is correct, Compare both unit prices and the daily standing charge. I have have seen one during my search this morning that came up as a saving of so many pounds a year and the unit price of the electric was an amazing close to 18p pkwh! comparing it to under 11p per kwh! Im so fed up with this compare rubbish All i want to do is to enter a postcode and see the unit prices.

The savings on PCWs which use the Ofgem methodology are 100% correct for consumers on variable tariffs and for those on fixed tariffs with MORE than 12 months to run. The savings for consumers on fixed tariffs with LESS than 12 months to run are inflated as costs are inflated. Future Cost is based on X months left on present tariff plus 12 - X months on the SVT. It follows that consumers can end up switching to a new tariff that shows a saving but actually costs more. With 70% of consumers still on SVTs, the methodology suits Ofgem’s aims.

MSE CEC shows a much simpler ‘cost for 12 months on present tariff’ compared to ‘cost for 12 months on these tariffs’ listing.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    . . . All i want to do is to enter a postcode and see the unit prices.
    On Cheap Energy Club you can now open a "Tariff Information" pop-up for each supplier which gives exactly that.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,616 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even when you see the unit prices, they are of little use until you apply them to your expected usage.
    A low user could be more concerned about the daily standing charge, but a higher user should be more concerned about the price per kWh, as that will far exceed the daily charge over a year.

Comparison sites do that arithmetic for you, given your expected annual usage in kWh for each fuel.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Ezorqs
    Ezorqs Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I think you guys might want to look into whether separate tariffs might be a better deal.

The cheapest dual fuel for me would be Powershop (not listed on MSE) at approx £1113 (only £40 more expensive than last year with Avro). Cheapest fixed I think is EDF charging £1,284 beating Avro's next cheapest by 84p.

However if I ditch dual tariff. I can get a fixed tariff (using Zog + Enstroga) to get a fixed price of £1200 or Enstroga + Eversmart for a variable tariff that would cost me £1137 (a saving of £148!).

I'm a high end user by the way.
  • MikeS5000
    Options
    I'm disappointed by the limited content of Item 9 about Green Energy on the Gas and Electricity page. Yes, I know this is a 'money saving' web site, but I presume that most of us are good enough people that we want to use our money in ways which are ethical and just not selfishly profitable without any other considerations? So how about a bit more content and encouragement to switch to and support green energy suppliers please? Most of the 'deep' green suppliers who generate their own green electricity will at least match the big six standard tariffs, and some will do better. And some of the new 'paler' green energy brokers (they don't generate it, they just re-sell it) offer very competitive tariffs indeed. Have a look at Bulb, or ask about OVO's green energy tariffs, for example. Go on, switch and save money, and help save the planet at the same time, and feel good about the switch you made twice over.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MikeS5000 wrote: »
    I'm disappointed by the limited content of Item 9 about Green Energy on the Gas and Electricity page. Yes, I know this is a 'money saving' web site, but I presume that most of us are good enough people that we want to use our money in ways which are ethical and just not selfishly profitable without any other considerations? So how about a bit more content and encouragement to switch to and support green energy suppliers please? Most of the 'deep' green suppliers who generate their own green electricity will at least match the big six standard tariffs, and some will do better. And some of the new 'paler' green energy brokers (they don't generate it, they just re-sell it) offer very competitive tariffs indeed. Have a look at Bulb, or ask about OVO's green energy tariffs, for example. Go on, switch and save money, and help save the planet at the same time, and feel good about the switch you made twice over.
    Hi MikeS5000 and welcome to the forum.

MSE primarily presents the facts. and leaves the individual to make the moralistic choices. And hooray for that, I say.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure how ethical a ponzi scheme could ever be :huh:

The constant spamming of certain suppliers on this site is a turn off for me too.

If you are worried about profits that a company makes, then I suggest you look at the small range of not for profit energy suppliers out there ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback