Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• hazelh1
    Options
    Does anybody know of a gas supplier that doesn't charge a standing charge for card meters? we pay 20p a day at the moment
  • GUYd
    GUYd Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently with EDF on its online Saver8 tariff. This is due to raise its prices on 10th November.
    I am therefore trying to use comparison prices before the rate rise (especially as I am now not obliged to pay the early exit fees due to the price rise).

My main problem is that when I use a comparison website (I have tried them all!!), the comparison is only between the price today for the EDF online Saver8 tariff and not against the increased price that will occur after 10th November.

This means that I am unable to compare my current tariff after the price rise with other deals on the market (I was actually looking at the Scottish Power Fixed Jan 2015 NSC).

Anyone have any ideas of how to this comparison rather than plugging all the figures into excel and working it out myself?

Are comparison websites going to provide this function in future?
  • julianhodgearepants
    Options
    GUYd wrote: »
    I am currently with EDF on its online Saver8 tariff. This is due to raise its prices on 10th November.
    I am therefore trying to use comparison prices before the rate rise (especially as I am now not obliged to pay the early exit fees due to the price rise).

My main problem is that when I use a comparison website (I have tried them all!!), the comparison is only between the price today for the EDF online Saver8 tariff and not against the increased price that will occur after 10th November.

This means that I am unable to compare my current tariff after the price rise with other deals on the market (I was actually looking at the Scottish Power Fixed Jan 2015 NSC).

Anyone have any ideas of how to this comparison rather than plugging all the figures into excel and working it out myself?

Are comparison websites going to provide this function in future?

Are you sure you won't pay an exit fee? That was my understanding after reading the article in last Sunday's Times. However, this morning I have been told by EDF that since I joined Online Saver 8 prior to April this year I will still have to pay! What is your experience?
  • GUYd
    Options
    Are you sure you won't pay an exit fee? That was my understanding after reading the article in last Sunday's Times. However, this morning I have been told by EDF that since I joined Online Saver 8 prior to April this year I will still have to pay! What is your experience?

An Ofgem spokesperson has told MSE "Under Supply Licence Condition 23 (SLC 23), suppliers have to inform customers at least 30 days in advance of any change to their contract that would significantly disadvantage the customer or increase charges.
    "Even if a customer is on a fixed term deal with an early termination fee, they will not have to pay a termination fee if they notify their current supplier of their intention to switch on or before the day the change takes place."
    It is important to note that the loophole does not apply to all tariffs – only some variable rate ones.
  • GUYd
    Options

I have spoken to Customer Services at EDF twice today. All customer service personnel that I spoke to stated that early termination charges still apply despite the rate hike. I begged to differ!

I managed to finally speak to a Manager who told me that this was the first time that the department had been asked the question and that he would need to speak to the "legal team".

I await their response .....................
  • freesp1r1t
    Options
    Does anyone use or can you name the smaller energy suppliers like the Co-operative? I know there are more out there but I can't find them as I can't name them!
    I've just had a look on the Co-op site and they appear to be charging the same rate per unit/therm irrespective of how much or little you use plus £62 per annum standing charge. Haven't had chance yet to work out what if anything I'd be saving if I switched to the Co-op but I'm very interested.
    These companys don't appear to be used by the comparison sites.
    Thanks.
    Finally mortgage and debt free but still skint
  • Rocknanny63
    Options
    Need to switch fuel supplier, several comparison websites have shown Ovo to be our best supplier but had never heard of them before. Anyone have any experience with Ovo? Also finding the various comparison websites confusing. Feedback gratefully received from a newbie to the forum.
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Options
    Just did a comparison site check against my dual fuel british Gas saver 11 and I can save £12 a year by switching. With all the trouble it can take to switch then there is no possibility. Might get my loft further insulated instead as I think that is a fee offer by BG
  • frgriffin
    Options
    I currently have Scottishpower Dualfuel Online Fixed Price Energy June 2012, but I can't find it listed in the dropdowns on comparison sites. How do I go about comparing my deal with other offers?
  • Clippyjo
    Options
    Hi,

Just wondering if price comparison sites include standing charges in their price comparison? I get npower go fix 8 coming up as best for me but there is a standing charge of £100+ for this product.

Thanks

jo
    -x-
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family