Toto Energy gone bust!

Options

Comments

• smipsy
    smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ah, I see. that makes sense, thank you very much!
  • keletkezes
    Options
    Ha. I was getting emails from Toto about supplying meter readings on Monday 28th...! Shame my latest attempt to switch my electricity won't have gone through :( Gas switched ages ago (same story as many on here).

I am, apparently, in debt with Toto, but I had £160 credit on my last statement with Solarplicity. Does it matter that this statement was for May 2019? And I was switched August (in the 'notified' round)? I never had the debt stamented with Toto, only 'confirmed' on an email: all my TOTO statements are credit. Should I argue this if it comes through with EDF?
  • Muffinz89
    Options
    I wanted to add my story into the mix as I’m also a deeply frustrated Solarplicity / Toto customer.

I’ve had a complete nightmare trying to switch away from Toto. My attempts were blocked twice for ‘debt’ on my account which never existed. The gas switch finally went through last month but electricity still blocked. It appears to have gone through finally last week so I’m keeping everything crossed that it will be honoured despite them now going bust - thankfully they don’t owe me any money.

Although it’s great to try and keep getting cheap deals on energy tariffs I think people should be made more aware that these small companies offering low prices are clearly very likely to go under and it’s ended up being way more hassle than it was worth frankly! I wish I’d just stuck with British Gas from the start :(
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Muffinz89 wrote: »
    Although it’s great to try and keep getting cheap deals on energy tariffs I think people should be made more aware that these small companies offering low prices are clearly very likely to go under and it’s ended up being way more hassle than it was worth frankly! I wish I’d just stuck with British Gas from the start :(

Can the Government or regulators not see what is going on with these small energy companies?

It strikes me they start up run for a few years (with directors probably taking massive salaries) build up the losses, then just go under.

Probably phoenix'ing the next month and doing the same thing again.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,669 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    keletkezes wrote: »
    I never had the debt stamented with Toto, only 'confirmed' on an email: all my TOTO statements are credit. Should I argue this if it comes through with EDF?

You should insist on the same conditions as me - A full and clear bill stating meter readings, KWh used, and unit price. If they want paying for gas, then the bill must show units used and how the conversion from m³ (or ft³) is calculated.

I'm guessing that Toto will have provided EDF with incorrect meter details and have told them that my meter reads in cubic feet - It doesn't. It is a new meter, and reads in cubic metres. All the bills Toto have sent me have been disputed and gone unpaid. Popcorn at the ready to see if EDF can sort out the mess that has been handed to them.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • FreeBear
    Options
    Finally had notice of the tariff EDF were going to charge along with a welcome email guaranteeing that I would not be paying any more than I would have with Toto.

15.44p per KWh - up by ~0.17p
    23.78p per day standing charge.

Had only just got Toto to agree to honouring their commitment to keep me on the same zero standing charge that I was on with Solarplicity. So EDF's "promise" to ensure I won't be paying any more seems rather hollow. Suffice to say, EDF are refusing to remove the standing charge.

In addition, they seem to be reversing my switch that I had initiated before Toto went bust. Muppets ! We are surrounded by muppets.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • smipsy
    Options
    Did anyone else not get their welcome pack? I'm still waiting for mine. Like you, I had an email saying I won't be paying any more than I would have with Toto, but I never got the welcome pack...
  • FreeBear
    Options
    In the meantime, EDF have confirmed they have"given you a very competitive price for your energy for at least the next 6 months and we’ll guarantee you won’t pay any more than you would have with TOTO during this time."

I don't consider the tariff EDF have offered is "competitive" compared with other suppliers. Certainly, if I were to stick with them, I'd end up paying quite a bit more. Had a "final response" from a customer services team manager confirming that the standing charge will not be removed - If/when they get to issue an invoice, it will be referred to the Energy Ombudsman without any further delay.

• smipsy
    Options
    So,

EDF myAccount still states "Your welcome pack is on its way and we are continuing to register your supply.", but if I go into account activity I can see a copy of my new contract. Even though they said that I won't be paying more with them, that doesn't seem to be true.

My old Toto tariff:
    Electricity - 13.8500p/kWh (excluding VAT) + 12.5000p/day standing charge (excluding VAT)
    Gas - 3.3490 p/kWh (excluding VAT) + 12.5000p/day standing charge (excluding VAT)

The new, supposedly not more expensive tariff with EDF:
    Electricity - 13.90p/kWH (including VAT) + 22.42p/day standing charge (including VAT)
    Gas - 2.544p/kWH (including VAT) + 26.52p/day standing charge (including VAT)

the rates are offset by the standing charge, making it more expensive. is anyone else in a similar situation? can I already switch away from them, even though my credit from Toto hasn't been transferred over to EDF yet?

not pleased with having to pay more now after they've "guaranteed" I won't pay more than I would with Toto, so would like to switch away, but don't know whether I could already!

thanks in advance!
  • FreeBear
    Options
    smipsy wrote: »
    not pleased with having to pay more now after they've "guaranteed" I won't pay more than I would with Toto, so would like to switch away, but don't know whether I could already!

I had a pointless "chat session" with one of their customer service representatives earlier in the month on the subject of their so called "guarantee". The tariff I finally got Toto to agree to was one with a zero standing charge. EDF claimed that OGEM rules required all suppliers to levy a standing charge - Called her out on that to no avail.

In the end, sent an email headed "Formal Complaint" and have had a response basically saying they won't honour their "guarantee". If/when I finally get an invoice from them, I will be lodging a complaint with the Energy Ombudsman. Fortunately, my supply was already in the process of being switched before Toto went bust, and my new supplier took over earlier this month. Worst case is I owe EDF for about two weeks worth of energy.

My advice is to get a formal complaint in now and set the eight week clock ticking. You may well get a response within a week saying "tough" which could be regarded as a deadlock letter. With that in hand, when you finally get a bill, lodge a complaint with the EO.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure