We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

If, hypothetically, you opened up a new, let's say basic bank account, at your mum's address...

...which you've never lived at before, or ever been linked to before, and you didn't tell your new bank about any of your previous addresses (let's say you said to them you'd been living at your mum's for the past 6 years but didn't have a bank account or any credit accounts all that time because you didn't need one), would you have a fresh new credit report? (albeit with no history).



How would they link you to your existing credit report? Just asking hypothetically.


And would it be considered fraud? (If they found out).


I'm not actually considering doing this, as I don't think there is any point in my situation, but if you had a really diabolical history, with like defaults everywhere, 3 CCJs, with a fresh new one yesterday, then you might be better off starting fresh (if that is legal?).
«13

Comments

  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    The bank would need to do identity checks and would almost certainly ask for proof of address.
    If somehow you could satisfy them in this regard and get the account open and it was a savings account which did not report to CRA's then nobody would know.
    This idea is not a solution to your problems. I am not going to be judgemental and tell you to face up to and/or pay your debts but this idea simply wont get you anywhere.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    edited 4 October 2019 at 2:37AM
    ...which you've never lived at before, or ever been linked to before, and you didn't tell your new bank about any of your previous addresses (let's say you said to them you'd been living at your mum's for the past 6 years but didn't have a bank account or any credit accounts all that time because you didn't need one), would you have a fresh new credit report? (albeit with no history).



    How would they link you to your existing credit report? Just asking hypothetically.


    And would it be considered fraud? (If they found out).


    I'm not actually considering doing this, as I don't think there is any point in my situation, but if you had a really diabolical history, with like defaults everywhere, 3 CCJs, with a fresh new one yesterday, then you might be better off starting fresh (if that is legal?).

    No.

    They might not.

    And perhaps, if you were trying to obtain credit.

    But the bank will want to see ID anyway, that'll likely link you.

    I'd add that my parents address was only recently
    removed from my "linked addresses," 10 years after I moved out.
  • No you wouldn’t get a new fresh credit report.

    They would link it to your existing one.

    Stop looking for workarounds and loopholes - your post style, questions and indeed previous debt sound EXACTLY like that of another poster on here.

    Have you created separate accounts or do you suffer from some form of multiple personality syndrome!?
  • PixelPound
    PixelPound Posts: 3,246 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I do like on various threads you've commented
    I used to X but now turned over a new leaf hence the name
    but still post "what if I..." threads like this one ....

    Not completely turned a new leaf then :rotfl:
  • hobbird
    hobbird Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2019 at 9:28AM
    ...which you've never lived at before, or ever been linked to before, and you didn't tell your new bank about any of your previous addresses (let's say you said to them you'd been living at your mum's for the past 6 years but didn't have a bank account or any credit accounts all that time because you didn't need one), would you have a fresh new credit report? (albeit with no history).



    How would they link you to your existing credit report? Just asking hypothetically.


    And would it be considered fraud? (If they found out).


    I'm not actually considering doing this, as I don't think there is any point in my situation, but if you had a really diabolical history, with like defaults everywhere, 3 CCJs, with a fresh new one yesterday, then you might be better off starting fresh (if that is legal?).

    For someone who proclaims to "not actually considering doing this", you appear to have given this some considerable thought; indeed it seems it may even have been keeping you awake!

    But hopefully when you eventually review this 'hypothetical' matter in the cold light of day, you will realise that you will need to provide a bank proof of identity, including proof of address.

    If you state something in your application that you know to be false or do not believe to be true, that could "hypothetically" be construed as fraud. :cool:
  • An interesting hypothesis I'll try to keep it simple but I'll go a little in depth here

    What your trying to do is simply LIE to the bank that you lived at the address for 6 years as banks only can check the last 5 years, but if your using the same name along with DOB they can simply run a background check using either call credit or Experian and your addresses history would be displayed.

    This hypothesis does NOT work nowadays when your register to the electrol roll they ask you for your NI number say hypothetically you change your name and u have a new address brand new address with a name when you register your old names NI number will be used
    NI number does not change they can either way get back to you.

    I know of someone a very old pal of mine had attempted what your trying to attempt quite recently until they caught up with him, changed his name with the deed poll got a new address changed his licence to the new address so he has proof of ID registered at new address using his old NI number you only get 1 NI number. Setup a bank account everything looking jolly he had a few credit cards, 1 of his credit cards was a 8k card his old name history was poor in debt of 30k plus, as he was enjoying life his new profile etc the feds along with enforcement agents come knocking at the door, took him into custody now he is locked behind bars for doing fraud

    This is Clearly fraud and it simply won't work nowadays just pay your debt off as it always comes back to haunt you
    Anyways hope u found it helpful :)
  • !!! wrote: »
    No you wouldn’t get a new fresh credit report.

    They would link it to your existing one.

    Stop looking for workarounds and loopholes - your post style, questions and indeed previous debt sound EXACTLY like that of another poster on here.

    Have you created separate accounts or do you suffer from some form of multiple personality syndrome!?


    I was just asking as a matter of interest as I couldn't find the answer on google. As for the other poster who you say I sound similar to.... must be a bloody good poster then, and an asset to this community, right? But no, I promise you this is my one and only account.
  • hobbird wrote: »
    For someone who proclaims to "not actually considering doing this", you appear to have given this some considerable thought; indeed it seems it may even have been keeping you awake!


    No seriously, I'm not considering it, even if it could work. I've worked too hard on repairing my own history this year to just abandon things and start fresh, like you wouldn't believe some of the effort I've gone to get negative stuff removed.


    Just got one negative thing to get rid of now, but this is gonna be the most challenging, I've been on the financial ombudsman site reading 100s of past cases, so I've got a good idea now of what kind of cases win and what kind of cases lose (it's actually pretty interesting stuff), unfortunately though (on the face of it) I think I've got a losing case on my hands BUT I think I might be able to twist it into a winning case, but I need to get a CD Rom drive first (I don't have a working one) so that I can listen to all my historical phone calls with my bank. The bank sent them to me on a password protected CD, but I can't access them till I get a drive.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,596 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    there is all sorts of data available to the CRAs that will link you back up - have you ever registered to forward mail when you move house? All that sort of information goes into the mix.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.