buyer asks to cancel order and paypal keep the 30p transaction fee!

Options

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It isn't theft.

It is clearly pointed out in Paypal's T&C that they retain this fee. If you do not agree with the T&C do not use the service.
    I entirely agree. There are costs to trading and one of them is losing out if customers make returns.

I'm lucky that I am selling things where this rarely happens but the returns rate for things like clothing must be frightening so it needs to be factored in to your pricing.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rnem170 wrote: »
    Are you saying I should condone theft of my money? As the OP said, why should I be penalised because some clicked "buy it now" and did not read the listing. They actually agreed it was their fault for that reason, but I still have to pay for it. I'm sorry, that's just wrong.

In the case of a full refund being given with the goods even being shipped, there is no reason why paypal should not waive the fee.

If this was my fault, I would accept the charge. It wasn't and hence I am unhappy.

I haven't even moaned about the inability to relist for a month without paying the full FVF (£6) instead of the £1 as it was listed under a promotion.

On that basis shouldn't you also be demanding Rm pay you back for any outward postage that you have used when a buyer returns an item?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    It is worth noting that in the US the policy of paypal retaining *all of the fee on refunds is not due to commence from 1st November.

It strikes me that paypal have chosen an odd time to roll this out as ebay US are currently rolling out their own new payment system via Ayden 'Managed payments' , so whilst that has some glitches and issues- buyers may decide on the balance of cost to switch anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Stuart_P
    Stuart_P Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    2 requests to cancel an order in under 24hrs as both buyers have made mistakes. yawn. i'm sending this out

'good morning. if a buyer makes a mistake and wishes to cancel an order, unfortunately we don't get all our fees back from paypal. so if you are willing to pay those fees for us, we are more than happy to cancel your order'

i'll first ask the buyer to send a separate payment to paypal to cover the 30p odd loss. once that is done, i can refund the original payment in full via the ebay cancel order function and get all the correct ebay/paypal fees back
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Stuart_P wrote: »
    2 requests to cancel an order in under 24hrs as both buyers have made mistakes. yawn. i'm sending this out

'good morning. if a buyer makes a mistake and wishes to cancel an order, unfortunately we don't get all our fees back from paypal. so if you are willing to pay those fees for us, we are more than happy to cancel your order'

i'll first ask the buyer to send a separate payment to paypal to cover the 30p odd loss. once that is done, i can refund the original payment in full via the ebay cancel order function and get all the correct ebay/paypal fees back

What will you do when they refuse to send another payment?
  • Stuart_P
    Options
    simple. if they refuse to send the payment to cover my loss, i'll refuse to cancel the order
  • soolin
    Options
    simple. if they refuse to send the payment to cover my loss, i'll refuse to cancel the order

As a private seller and assuming you have no returns enabled a disgruntled buyer is going to find 'something wrong' with your item and get a refund.

Perhaps they will or perhaps they won't, but do you really want to take that risk?

EDIT: It has also just occurred to me that assuming this is not letter box sized, then buyer can just refuse delivery.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

This would be counter productive. If a buyer wants to cancel it means they don't want the item. Do you really want to go to the expense of sending it out when they could simply open a case for snad*? Further expense when you have to supply a label to return it....

If you sell on ebay you have to accept there are people on there who click and cancel, buy and return, lie and cause issues. That's just how it is and you cannot force anyone to pay a cancellation fee.

*ebay will side with them if they "find something wrong" with the item.
  • Stuart_P
    Options
    maybe you've had your own reasons to be 'disgruntled' buyers. who knows. maybe i'll get 'disgruntled' buyers, maybe i won't. and maybe there are 'disgruntled' sellers out there who recoup their losses with 'disgruntled' buyers in other unorthodox ways.

i'm ok with the risks. i'm not saying it is a perfect solution but i'm happy with it.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    maybe you've had your own reasons to be 'disgruntled' buyers. who knows. maybe i'll get 'disgruntled' buyers, maybe i won't. and maybe there are 'disgruntled' sellers out there who recoup their losses with 'disgruntled' buyers in other unorthodox ways.

i'm ok with the risks. i'm not saying it is a perfect solution but i'm happy with it.

The issue always comes though when you cannot enforce what you are doing.

Hopefully you won't get any issues charging for a cancellation...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure