Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• northender
    Options
    Really sorry if similar has been asked before. We booked flights only to Tobago through Opodo (so not covered under Section 75), on credit card. Credit card company (Nationwide) say they will not apply for chargeback until Opodo tell us they are unable to refund us. Opodo are difficult to communicate with & just say "depends what the airline say". We also have Nationwide Flexplus travel insurance which includes "End Supplier Failure Cover" provided by IPP, but cannot try this route until all other routes have been exhausted.
    I feel like we are stuck unless we can get a definitive answer from Opodo, but I'm not holding my breath. Any suggestions?
  • prm1
    prm1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a quick rebump of this!

Has anyone who put in a bogstandard claim through the CAA online form for ATOL protected holidays (ie nothing to do with Section 75 or DD payments) actually received any money back yet? Or for that matter had any form of communication from the CAA (or their agencies)?

I know it must be a hell of a task for them but we must be almost half way through the 60 days that was mentioned for claims to be processed.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    prm1 wrote: »
    Just a quick rebump of this!

Has anyone who put in a bogstandard claim through the CAA online form for ATOL protected holidays (ie nothing to do with Section 75 or DD payments) actually received any money back yet? Or for that matter had any form of communication from the CAA (or their agencies)?

I know it must be a hell of a task for them but we must be almost half way through the 60 days that was mentioned for claims to be processed.
    Nope, not me...
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • RS2OOO
    RS2OOO Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Obviously this is a tiny sample but for info....

I don't know anyone who paid by a method other than DD who has received a refund yet, either in real life (5 people inc. myself) or across various forums where this topic has been discussed.

I know 3 people who paid by DD, 1 had a refund simply appear in his account (no other communication), and the other 2 haven't heard or received anything.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RS2OOO wrote: »
    Obviously this is a tiny sample but for info....

I don't know anyone who paid by a method other than DD who has received a refund yet, either in real life (5 people inc. myself) or across various forums where this topic has been discussed.

I know 3 people who paid by DD, 1 had a refund simply appear in his account (no other communication), and the other 2 haven't heard or received anything.

Yea came in here to say does anyone know of anyone who has been refunded yet? We're coming up to the half way point in which the CAA said people would be refunded by, and ive yet to hear anyone (people i know, online etc) that has received anything yet
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Yea came in here to say does anyone know of anyone who has been refunded yet? We're coming up to the half way point in which the CAA said people would be refunded by, and ive yet to hear anyone (people i know, online etc) that has received anything yet

Nope, still waiting...
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    I know a few who got their money back from Barclays, via chargeback, very quickly:(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For those who had existing personal injury claims against Thomas Cook at the time of its failure, not claims for poor holidays or delayed flights, the government have announced this afternoon they will look at setting up a statutory scheme to pay compensation. This has never happened before, suggesting there has been significant lobbying, possibly by the solicitors acting on behalf of claimants who would have received nothing and therefore would have have been unable to recover their costs. As yet there are no details but this is an interesting precedent that the goverment appear to be creating
  • juangarcia
    juangarcia Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 November 2019 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Castmember wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm assuming that if TC do go under then so will their subsidiaries?

I've got a Disneyland Paris trip booked for my son and I leaving on January 1st. It was booked through MagicBreaks. The ATOL certificate is in the name Freedom Luggage Travel Group Ltd, which is all part of TC.
    I'm not concerned about getting my money back, ATOL will cover that. I haven't told my son about the trip yet, I was going to surprise him on his birthday at the end of December so he won't be disappointed if it does get cancelled.

Just a shame for all the staff if the worst happens.

I had the same problem.

Finally, I had finded other companies for organizated my trip.

Good luck
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Got my money back today, plus interest.Roll on Goa :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories