Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Steameh
    Steameh Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So I submitted my ATOL claim for our Thomas Cook holiday a few weeks back, I never received any sort of confirmation that my application had been submitted.

Has anyone else?
    EMERGENCY FUND CHALLENGE - £2,292.05 / £6000

DEBT FREE DATE - 16/02/2021
    Pay Debt by Xmas 2021 - No.134 - £2,871.64 / £2,871.64 - 100% Paid
    Pay Debt by Xmas 2020 - No.134 - Target: £7,985 / Achieved: £5,113.36
    Pay Debt by Xmas 2019 - No.134 - Target: £15,985.00 / Achieved: £8,000
  • sco22y
    Options
    I booked flights (only) direct with Thomas Cook with debit card. As soon as they went into administration I claimed a refund via cashback and my bank ((Bank of Scotland) gave me a time frame of 60 days, like many others. I should expect to hear back around the end of November. The bank haven't asked for a reference number or anything like that, do I have to get an official ref number from Thomas Cook, or an alternate admin page? And has anyone who is in a similar predicament had any success. Flights came to just under £1000.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sco22y wrote: »
    I booked flights (only) direct with Thomas Cook with debit card. As soon as they went into administration I claimed a refund via cashback and my bank ((Bank of Scotland) gave me a time frame of 60 days, like many others. I should expect to hear back around the end of November. The bank haven't asked for a reference number or anything like that, do I have to get an official ref number from Thomas Cook, or an alternate admin page? And has anyone who is in a similar predicament had any success. Flights came to just under £1000.

Your bank will be doing a chargeback. If they have not asked for any info then you will be fine. All we ask for is booking details.
    Visa regs state 45 days for the retailer to reject the chargeback. Many banks add a few days on to allow for processing after the 45 days.
    Most would also have refunded you once the process was started.

If you are unsure then ring the disputes team at RBS
    Life in the slow lane
  • sco22y
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    Your bank will be doing a chargeback. If they have not asked for any info then you will be fine. All we ask for is booking details.
    Visa regs state 45 days for the retailer to reject the chargeback. Many banks add a few days on to allow for processing after the 45 days.
    Most would also have refunded you once the process was started.

If you are unsure then ring the disputes team at RBS

Thank you for your reply. My wife has said her friends from work and others in her social group, who are with other banks, have had their money back after also paying by debit card. We have no idea if this has any bearing on our case as we both haven't heard of anyone who has had a successful refund, via charge back, who are with BoS. However, I do understand that everyone else will no doubt have to wait the 45 working days. A waiting game it is...
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Steameh wrote: »
    So I submitted my ATOL claim for our Thomas Cook holiday a few weeks back, I never received any sort of confirmation that my application had been submitted.

Has anyone else?

You never get one
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • stemano
    stemano Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2019 at 5:30PM
    Options
    Steameh wrote: »

Has anyone else?
    Only thing i got back was a Claim Reference number on completion of the form. No email
  • stoothefirst
    Options
    I had a package holiday booked with Thomas Cook and have applied for ATOL refund but also had an additional 2 day hotel booking through travelbag, I contacted them for help and they refused to refund under their T&Cs. I then went to Tesco Bank Credit Card who I made the payment with who are saying I should go to the company I made payment with for the holiday as they have no grounds to make a claim. Is this correct?
  • SparkyToo
    Options
    If you were abroad at the time of the Thomas Cook collapse on flight only trip and CAA repatriated you the next day. Does Section 75 apply for a claim from the credit card company that you paid for the flights with? Bank of Scotland are saying if CAA brought you back they won't refund you.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a package holiday booked with Thomas Cook and have applied for ATOL refund but also had an additional 2 day hotel booking through travelbag, I contacted them for help and they refused to refund under their T&Cs. I then went to Tesco Bank Credit Card who I made the payment with who are saying I should go to the company I made payment with for the holiday as they have no grounds to make a claim. Is this correct?

Yes this is correct.The hotel booked through Travelbag is there and available. Travelbag or the hotel have not breached their contract so your bank has no grounds to process a chargeback or section 75 claim.

Your travel insurance might cover you.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone got money back, with a chargeback from MBNA ? Flight only not ATOL protected? :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family