I think I'm being conned by Allay (PPI)

Options

Comments

• Shar_13
    Options
    I'm so glad I've seen this!
    I'm in the same situation.
    Allay did a free check. I never signed or sanctioned any go ahead papers.
    I decided after seeing 24% fee that if I got any money back it was MY money no one else's.
    I sent a letter off to my back myself. I received a letter from my bank this Monday just gone saying I was due a refund of almost 5k! Which I've received.
    Wednesday I received a letter or should I say invoice for just over 1,200 from Allay!
    Will be contacting FOS in the morning for advice. Or is there anyone else I should contact?
    Can anyone let me know how they've got on with disputing charges from Allay even though they didn't agree to them going ahead...
    TIA😊x
  • welshgranny
    Options
    I have also just received letters from Allay with invoice for over £1000. Wondered if there was any update from previous posters about Allay please
    may your path be sprinkled with sunshine :A
  • Saffy123
    Options
    Wow, it appears I'm not the one one having problems with this company. As some have done I obviously clicked on the free PPI check. Although I have always successfully dealt with my own PPI claims previously I thought it would be interesting to see if they came up with anything else. They certainly did - numerous phone calls and texts which I did not reply to. A couple of questionnaires in the post relating to Santander and HBOS which I did not complete. On the last phone call a few months ago which I happened to answer I was told if I cancelled I would be charged. Ended up having a huge row with them and put the phone down. Anyway - I digress - I received a few letters from RBS staying they were looking into my claim - I was surprised as I had previously won two fairly large PPI claims with them, so didn't really think much more about it - until yesterday another letter saying my PPI wasn't being upheld due to lack of information but I was owed commission which had been charged and would receive this in 28 days! When I checked the account number to which this referred it was different to the other two accounts I was successful with. However I cannot actually find a record of this particular account number - very strange.

Now I am expecting an invoice from Allay I guess ? However, I have never signed any contract either digitally or otherwise that I know about. The letter from RBS has Allay prefixed to the clay reference.

I'm just trying to get ahead of the situation here wondering what to do when the invoice arrives which I'm sure it will! Also I believe there has been a cap on the amount of fees they can charge since 10/7/18 at 20% + VAT - hmm this is still a large amount !

Apologies for the rambling any help appreciated and have a great Christmas and New Year everyone.

Saffy.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Saffy123 wrote: »
    until yesterday another letter saying my PPI wasn't being upheld due to lack of information but I was owed commission which had been charged and would receive this in 28 days! When I checked the account number to which this referred it was different to the other two accounts I was successful with.
    Now I am expecting an invoice from Allay I guess ? However, I have never signed any contract either digitally or otherwise that I know about. The letter from RBS has Allay prefixed to the clay reference.
    If the Bank have received a signed letter of authority for you to be represented by Allay in this complaint, then they will certainly copy any correspondence with you also to the Claim Company.
    To be fair, and just for a change, you really would not have received this refund if you hadn't employed the Claim Company to "check".

So it's really up to you whether you think it's worth the effort of contesting any bill you might now receive....
  • Saffy123
    Options
    Hi many thanks for the speedy reply. Yes I do actually agree with what you are saying mostly, I'm just concerned that I'm pretty sure I hadn't signed anything with Allay and wondering how they got the information. Also I have a form they sent me re: Santander. Again I had a successful claim with them and again this shows a totally different a/c number again one which I do not recognise - I've spent the whole day going back through paperwork on both and can't find either, so just a bit confused. I actually know I never had a credit card with Santander and this is what this particular form refers to. My PPI payouts were on loans.

Anyway I guess I will wait and see, like you say, I may not have ever received this so hey ho......just a bit annoying as had I know I could and would have dealt with it myself.

I will keep a close eye on what they are charging me due to the Capped fee.

Saffy
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Saffy123 wrote: »
    I will keep a close eye on what they are charging me due to the Capped fee.
    If they attempt to charge you more for some reason, you have the full weight of the Ombudsman Service behind you as Claim Companies are now fully regulated....even Allay :)
  • Saffy123
    Options
    Hi, yes it will be interesting for you, I will let you know what happens and again, thank you for the speedy response, much appreciated.

Saffy
  • Saffy123
    Saffy123 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 December 2019 at 2:10PM
    Options
    Hi, well just a quick update - Allay certainly don't hang about. I have in this mornings post received their invoice. It states 24% inclusive of VAT on the overall amount. Having done the calculations this actually works out the same as 20% plus VAT on the overall amount. The covering letter also states they will refer the case to the FOS on my behalf as I may be due more money and I may receive another questionnaire in the post. I can't see this being the case as I don't believe you can receive both PPI and commission thought I could be wrong. It's probably just standard wording they use.

Still a bit miffed as I'm certain I signed nothing with them but as said, it's something I wasn't expecting anyway

I am wondering where I stand if I haven't signed anything with them or given letters of authority to them with HBOS which I'm pretty sure I haven't ?? Also wondering whether to call HBOS to inquire whether they have any signed letters of authority signed by me ??

Again any assistance or advice from you most appreciated...

Saffy
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The covering letter also states they will refer the case to the FOS on my behalf as I may be due more money

Does the calculation look wrong then?

As the redress calculation is defined by the FCA, the only way you are entitled to more is if the input is incorrect or there is evidence of further payments of PPI that are not included. The FOS has been critical of CMCs referring cases to them with no evidence or justifiable reason.
    . I can't see this being the case as I don't believe you can receive both PPI and commission thought I could be wrong. It's probably just standard wording they use.

The PPI commission is paid out of the PPI premium. So, if you get a 100% refund of premiums (the standard on an upheld complaint) then there is no commission to reclaim as a 100% refund is the maximum.
  • Saffy123
    Options
    Hi, the letter from HBOS states....they have not found a reason to uphold the PPI mis selling complaint. The next paragraph states....however we did not inform you that we would receive a commission and share of any related profits from the insurance company and therefore the non disclosure of this created an Unfair Relationship.

So in effect the payment I've got relates to this....i.e., the Unfair Relationship commission. I understand if I had received the PPI this would have included this...

My query now relates to the invoice from Allay as said above and what I should do if I haven't signed any letters of authority with them as I'm pretty sure I haven't. Hope this helps.

Saffy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure