Urgent Assistance - Is It Possible to Stop a Parcel Force Special Delivery

Options
carltonp
carltonp Posts: 39 Forumite
Hello Community,

I have within the last 24 hours come to terms that I am a victim of phishing fraud.

I placed a Dell Laptop on ebay for sale at a buy now price of £850. I received an email from ebay letting me know that a person called Kelley wishes to purchase the laptop at the Buy Now price.

I sent the invoice to Kelley via ebay, but I then received the following email from supposed paypal.
Dear admin@keylooplabs.com

You received a payment of 930.00 GBP from Kelley Wyckoff (alwaysbepositive01@hotmail.com)
Thanks for using PayPal®. This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" But pending to be cleared, until the Shipping reference/Tracking number is being sent to us for verification as directed by eBay.

Note: Due to the recent fraudulent activities we have experienced in regards to payment made by buyer's to fraudulent sellers on eBay. Therefore shipping reference/Tracking number is needed for this payment to be activated into your account. The sum of 930.00 GBP has been deducted from the buyers account.

You may now ship the item to the verified address below as we have your fund with us in your PayPal escrow account. The fund may take some time to reflect in your account due to our new policy.
Transaction ID: 97T59133YD753953Y

Seller Protection - Eligible
Note to seller
I will appreciate if you can help me send the item to the address i have provided to PayPal as shown here.I will email you the address from my email as well.
Shipping address - verified

Daniel Kelley

Suite #B0222
17224 S. Figueroa Street
Gardena, CA (California) 90248
United States of America
Postage details
Parcel force global priority retails
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Dell XPS 13 InfinityEdge Display 9360 i7-7560U 2.40GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD FHD

Item Number: 174027887557 850.00 1 850.00 GBP

Postage and packing 80.00 GBP
Insurance - not offered ----
Total 930.00 GBP
Payment 930.00 GBP

Payment sent to admin@keylooplabs.com

Questions? contact the Help Center by replying to this message

Please reply to this email. This mailbox is monitored and you will receive a response. For assistance,send us an email and we will answer all your query.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile to update your settings.

PayPal (Europe) S. r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Socit en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

Embarrasingly, I fell for this email and sent the laptop to the address yesterday, by express post.

I have been in touch with eBay and they have basically washed they're hands off with it, as no financial transaction occured on their platform. All they would do is close the persons account.

I don't believe the laptop has arrived at its destination as yet.

My question is, can someone let me know if its possible prevent the package from being delivered?

Unfortunately, Royal Mail are closed today so I won't know for sure until tomorrow, but if you have any thoughts I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Carlton

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2019 at 1:28PM
    Options
    No, I don't believe you can intercept a parcel. You say special delivery, which is Royal Mail not Parcelforce, if it's RM then you definitely can't intercept it.

I take it, the email came to your email address and you assumed it to be from Paypal? It is a common scam.

Have you logged into your Paypal account?
  • carltonp
    Options
    It's actually Parcel Force.

I have checked my PayPal account and no money has been credited to the account.
  • carltonp
    Options
    'I take it, the email came to your email address and you assumed it to be from Paypal? It is a common scam.'

Correct
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would also suggest changing your passwords for the sake of safety.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    Options
    Did you post it to the address in California?

If so (and it's a very long shot!), it might be worth contacting the local law enforcement there to see if they can assist in intercepting the parcel before the fraudster gets it.

Also may be worth having a quick look at that address on Google Maps in case it shows anything useful.
    Philip
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Did you post it to a UK address (I think the California address is the one the scammer used to pretend it was an email from PayPal?)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have not seen this scam for a long time, in fact one of the highest ranked google warnings dates back to 2016

https://thetechieguy.com/5-paypal-scams-you-should-be-aware-of/

OP it is unlikely that parcelforce can stop a parcel, however there is no harm in phoning them as soon as they open tomorrow . I also agree with the above suggestion of getting hold of the local law enforcement , I had great success with that a good few years back. The local Sherrif actually knew the family and had 'words' with them.

The one thing that might work in your favour is that as this is (I assume) a U.K. To US parcel it will be stopped at customs to be charged - is there anyway at all I wonder of intercepting it there?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Incidentally, the scumbag scammer has either chosen an unfortunate name to have it sent to 'Daniel Kelley' or were giving a big hint this was fraud. Daniel Kelley is an infamous hacker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48587207
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2019 at 2:06PM
    Options
    It's going to forwarding/shipping company.

Contact details here

https://planetexpress.com/about-us/

and

https://planetexpress.com/reporting-fraud/

"If you are a seller and you got a chargeback from somebody who used our address, please contact us as soon as possible. We will do our best to handle the package and return it to seller."
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    It's going to forwarding/shipping company.

Contact details here

https://planetexpress.com/about-us/

and

https://planetexpress.com/reporting-fraud/

"If you are a seller and you got a chargeback from somebody who used our address, please contact us as soon as possible. We will do our best to handle the package and return it to seller."

This could be helpful, albeit technically not a chargeback - it is worth the OP contacting them. Although, the laptop has to arrive with them first presumably....it may be worth contacting Parcel Force tomorrow (or via social media today) to see if they can help first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure