Countdown from £28k...

Options
1888990919294»

Comments

• efes_shareholder
    Options
    lovely to read your update but did you buy the sonos?
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    lovely to read your update but did you buy the sonos?
    I didn’t in the end as decided I don’t need it. Plus after throwing money away on crypto I couldn’t justify it even more ha.

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

<br>

• alt80
    alt80 Posts: 4,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 August 2021 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Glad to hear you are still debt free mate I had wondered how you were getting on especially now things have started to really open up and some degree of normality back - hope for us all ha. Seriously, well done mate it's not easy in London I'm sure. Hope you're still enjoying your flat in that !!!!!! super location. Half expecting to read you're back on here for some motivation to save for a wedding haha.

Great news about the masters - how long will it take to complete? Not sure why you've changed jobs again from what you've said and not surprised to hear they are still messing you about with salaries etc. 

Had to laugh re the £500 you invested in doge coin ha that's !!!!!! hilarious mate. Didn't believe for a second that was going to seriously catch on ok if in early let it hype and get out quickly lol but I don't think it was ever going to last the journey. 

Re keeping car - good to have a car definitely. I assume you have to pay congestion charge everyday though which can't be cheap - you need an EQC mate, don't laugh until you try it I did and I !!!!!! love the thing now lol.
  • ryanm8655
    Options
    alt80 said:
    Glad to hear you are still debt free mate I had wondered how you were getting on especially now things have started to really open up and some degree of normality back - hope for us all ha. Seriously, well done mate it's not easy in London I'm sure. Hope you're still enjoying your flat in that !!!!!! super location. Half expecting to read you're back on here for some motivation to save for a wedding haha.

Great news about the masters - how long will it take to complete? Not sure why you've changed jobs again from what you've said and not surprised to hear they are still messing you about with salaries etc. 

Had to laugh re the £500 you invested in doge coin ha that's !!!!!! hilarious mate. Didn't believe for a second that was going to seriously catch on ok if in early let it hype and get out quickly lol but I don't think it was ever going to last the journey. 

Re keeping car - good to have a car definitely. I assume you have to pay congestion charge everyday though which can't be cheap - you need an EQC mate, don't laugh until you try it I did and I !!!!!! love the thing now lol.
    Haha, no weddings on the horizon here, dated a couple of people but nothing that promising so far ha. All the apps you need to pay for now and at the moment I’m just too busy. No free weekends until October :-/ So will probably push the dating a bit harder then.

Masters will take two years. Every Friday I’ll be at uni and then need to find a day a week in my own time if I want to do well (which I do ha).

The job change was just part of the internal managed moves. Someone returned from maternity so the job I was doing wasn’t available anymore.

It wasn’t doge coin, it was something far earlier. Mate who’s an actuary tipped me off but it was always a punt. Gas fees were really high so was either put a reasonable sum in or don’t bother…clubbed together with a bunch of mates. We set a target when we’d sell but it got nowhere near ha. Bad idea in hindsight ha. Lesson learned.

I’d love an EQC ha. I have nothing against electric cars. Especially when their purpose is to be luxurious rather than something fun and brutish. Far out of my price range though ha. Glad you’ve come around as made so much sense financially. Have toyed with getting something newer but while I’m driving a lot at the moment, usually I only drive once or twice a month. May revisit selling the car once all these weddings are done.

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

<br>

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just catching up on a few diaries here and delighted to see how much progress you've made since you've been on here - well done! Going forward now, just remember how grim being in debt felt, and remind yourself of that if you feel the financial grip starting to slip a little more than is perhaps healthy... 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ryanm8655
    edited 23 August 2021 at 10:02PM
    Options
    Thanks for checking in.

The financial grip has certainly slipped this month, though not to the extent of getting in debt, so probably something in my subconscious that brought me back ha.

Just had more financial bad news in that from April I’ll be paying £180/month more to the tax man. Annoying. They insisted their calculation was correct when I changed jobs back in September 2020 so was unexpected. Have some time to prepare but still a blow! Some will be offset by my modest pay rise…but that’s less than £50 a month after tax... Wish I had a side hustle!

• ryanm8655
    Options
    Longtime no post from me...have just come back from a night out - gig with mates in St Albans and a night out afterwards plus late night train back to London.

Things aren't going to badly money wise. I've been enjoying myself a lot since everything has pretty much got back to normal.

Had a couple of long weekends...one in Amsterdam where I freerode off of mate's work trip so that was nice and cheap. Though got back from Paris on Sunday and that wasn't so cheap. Went with best mate who I was best man for recently. He likes the high life and it was a bit of a blowout - lots of fancy restaurants and drinking. Enjoyed it but do sort of feel guilty for how much I spent - not worked it out but eaten a good chunk out of my savings. Reckon I probably spent about £500. Probably why I've decided to come back ha.

Despite going out a lot and eating ubereats probably 5 times a week I managed to build my general cash back up to about a grand without even trying. That was pleasing given I wasn't trying but was a bit reckless in Paris - I knew I had the money so it's fine but would like to get a grip of things again as, despite dating and going out a lot, it probably is the first time I've not been at all conscious of expenditure, just glad I'm not in debt.

Haven't put much more in LISA, which is the only consequence of lifestyle but it is nice to know I can live comfortably on what I earn and live life.

Started a new role within the same organisation, which I'm not enjoying as much to be honest. Doing business cases, which was something I hadn't done for a longtime but they're quite dull and longer term so slow paced. Has probably contributed to the eating crap and going out more as I'm not happy. Also started masters in September but not enjoying that either to be honest ha. Will soldier on and crack on with it but it's a lot more work than I expected and not as interesting as expected either. Realised I don't really enjoy academia ha. So kind of back to feeling a bit lost career wise but will sort it out and pull my finger out with the Masters soon...

Dating has been tough - just not meeting anyone who is my cup of tea ha. Sure it'll come...have put on a fair bit of weight with the drinking and eating crap so need to sort that out as I feel like a bit of a catfish at the moment haha.

Have also been screwed over in the new pay deal - not received any backdated payrise despite working 11 months of the year at current department. Likewise as I'm relatively highly paid for civil service my payrise for the coming year is only about 2%, analysts have been screwed basically. Also I haven't been compensated for a change in hours from 36-37 so missed out on another couple of grand I was expecting (turns out I moved to modernised terms when I changed roles, which is sneaky imo). So overall I'm feeling disillusioned but struggling to see a way out (probably why I'm back to partying though at least can afford it now...).

Anyway, should probably head to bed now ha...rant over...will revisit when sober...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback