Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

What's in your Slow Cooker 2019 - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

What's in your Slow Cooker 2019

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
226 replies 43.6K views

Replies

• janb5janb5 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Good oh marionmgcars, you did good gal. In a mo I will put beef etc into SC for tonight and prob some for tomorrow. I like to cook in bags (wash and re-use serveral times) so if I want to do small dinners I can cook 2 different ones at same time.

Do you put a plastic bag in the SC...sorry if I`m being thick?
  • cheerfulness4cheerfulness4 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Janb- you can buy slowcooker bags in most supermarkets that line the cooker. They are quite similar to roasting bags in appearance.
    Wondering if roasting bags would work the same. Cant see why not.
  • You can buy the bags at supermarkets, Oven bags, but if you buy the powdered SC cooking sauces eg garlic chicken they have a bag at the top of the pack. Again, they can be washed and reused. Not ordinary plastic bags. x
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beef stew in slowcooker today after being tempted with another rice pud yesterday. Loving this laid back way of cooking. :)
  • downshifteddownshifted Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1758666/chinese-braised-beef-with-ginger

I did this in my slow cookervfor friends at the weekend and it was fab. I used a silverside joint from Asda and sliced it when cooked. I followed the recipe reducing the star anise and sugar as recommended in the comments. It was really lovely. I served it with jasmine rice and stir fried beans with ginger and sesame
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beef joint was in mine today which was had as roast beef and yorkies. The gravy made with the juices was beautiful and was only granules added to the slow cooker.

It gets a rest tomorrow as simply having cauli cheese in jackets. Friday it gets another outing with bbq pulled pork.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today in my SC are some Ys pork steaks with a pouch of Bbq pulled pork sauce. (was on offer for £1 from Morrisons and I needed easy food today).

Will be serving that with a pouch of Egg Fried rice from Poundstretchers for 50p.

Today is a planning day which I shall thoroughly enjoy as my bones arent up to anything very physical. :o Tomorrow will be better and if not, I'll just flick thro the cupboards for more pouches and do a jigsaw or something. Always a silver lining.
  • MrsCDMrsCD Forumite
    913 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    Bingbunny wrote: »
    Loving this thread.

Can anyone put a simple leek and potato soup recipe on here? I usually make this on the hob but I have bought a slow cooker and want to try it in there.

I'm looking for simple receipes to start with guys.

Thanks for this thread xx

I usually make leek and potato soup in a pan, too, Bingbunny, but I'm just going to give it a try in the sc.
    I chop 4 leeks and 4 large potatoes, then cover with water and add 2 vegetable stock cubes. Cook until soft, then either whizz or don't, whatever you like. This usually makes about 3 - 4 portions.
    #59 Saving for Christmas 2020
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today I popped meatballs, which i'd reworked from some Ys burgers we'd bought from morrisons and spiced them up and thrown a jar of pasta sauce over. They cooked really well and served on a pouch of microwave rice.

Even with stiff bones flaring the slowcooker is making scratch meals easy with a little bit of help from stocks of cheap rice and sauce. Not dialed for the dreaded takeaway yet!
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday was another YSticker beef joint, done to perfection in the SC. Half is left so that has gone in the freezer.

I'll spin up a Yorkie pud mix in the mini blender one day and pour it over the beef chopped into big chunks and bake that. Mum used to make that alternative 'toad in hole' midweek when we were kids and we loved it with thick gravy and mash.

That'll make another easy meal with little effort if DH does the mashing for me. :)