Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Santander blocked account- help! - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Santander blocked account- help!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
109 replies 6K views

Replies

• dreamingdreaming Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comments.

Between the gullible idiot brigade regularly allowing themselves to be scammed and the banks' paranoia about money laundering, moving largish sums of money around between accounts is becoming a real chore.

As Lloyds seem to want to prevent money transfers at the slightest provocation, I now ring them should I want to move any large amounts of money, inform them what I intend to do and tell them that I don't expect to have any problem with it.

This does seem to work and also saves time.

I'm not sure that I would consider this to be too much of a "chore", and is exactly what I do if I plan a large transfer. Much easier than when the only way to transfer cash was to either draw a cheque on one bank, walk to the other bank/recipient (unless you want to trust the mail) then waiting several days for the cheque to be cleared, or having to give notice to bank A that you wanted to do a CHAPS transfer to bank B (which used to be 3-4 days notice if I recall correctly where I worked) and pay the fee for the privilege.

There has been a lot of criticism lately on MSE about the extra layers of security the banks have to bring in under new guidelines (card-readers/phone verification etc.) as some to think that banks are stopping them from doing what they want with their money. Equally there are just as many claiming bank imcompetence when they do "allow" fraudulent/unwise transactions to complete despite asking for the extra verification.

Perhaps a bucket of cash under the bed is the answer? Or do what some of my friends do - spend it all each month.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mozart33 wrote: »
    Hi there, looking for advice from people with similar experiences or knowledge. My husband took out a loan £30k for house related expenses. This was paid from M&S Bank to his Santander current account. We had agreed we’ll keep the money in my Barclays account. The day after he tried to transfer the sum and got stopped, he called them and they told him he needed to go to the branch with ID to do transfer there. Which he did today. The transfer did not go through and they told him the account’s been blocked due to ML suspicion. They scanned his passport, took his signature to verify with the one they have on file from when he opened the account. He also gave them the copy of the loan contract which they scanned. The Barclays account is in my name and I also have a Santander account and we have a joint mortgage with them- so they can easily see my details being the same, I mean clearly that he’s sending the money to my account not just random person’s. I am concerned because I’m going to be out of work in 2 weeks time so won’t have any income and we were meant to transfer all DDs to his account. Can we still do that? And what about DDs that are already set up on his account, or his wages- will all that be allowed in and out? Apparently they told him he can’t make transfers but can still go to the bank to take money out with ID and that he can use his card to pay. He did in fact go shopping and his card payment went through fine. Surely this isn’t too complicated to resolve with all the facts black on white? I’m just very concerned as I myself will be without income in 2 weeks time.

No wonder alarm bells are ringing...

30K for household expenses because you will be out of work in 2 weeks.

Loan from M&S to Santander, then on to a 3rd party account at barclays. Yet you have accounts with Santander.

I wonder just what state your accounts with Santander are?

As to tipping off, that is one employee who is going to be out of work and possibly facing charges & up to 5 years in jail.
    On my way to retirement. Thanks to Covid 19. 
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    How on earth does that sound like money laundering? do you even know what money laundering is? I can transfer money to many different accounts as i want as many times as i want. I do hate it when people just offer opinions on matters they do not know anything about.

IVe never heard of anyone trying to launder money through online transfers bank transfers.Fraud yes, but not money laundering.

The reason your account is suspended is due to the large amount. It happens from time to time especially on accounts in which big transfers are not a normal occurrence. That must of flagged it up for security checks. Nothing to worry about

Money Laundering... Goodness Sake.

IDIOT!
    This is the perfect scenario for money laundering - money in money out before they are caught,
    If you have never heard of anyone laundering money through online bank transfers you really need to get out more and read the thousands of posts on here about it.
    Have a nice day.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh yes... another expert who doesnt know what money laundering is. Watching too many movies i fear....

'money in money out before they are caught;

LOL. No response needed....

Oh and yes the thousands of posts that show online bank transfers as money laundering...... so everyone keeps alluding too... yet no-one can produce a single one... strange that

or perhaps because it does not exist...

just a thought
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh xlnc99, you do make me smile when I read some of your posts. You are just so certain that you are correct...

Anyway, take a look at the Wikipedia entry for money laundering as defined by the United Kingdom legal system.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering#United_Kingdom
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    i only post on things i no about it otherwise i dont post on threads i dont know anything about

As for wikipedia - i think that sums up this forum. If people are relying on wiki to get their information then its a sad state of affairs. Ive not read that page, i dont need too, i no what i am talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    i only post on things i no about it otherwise i dont post on threads i dont know anything about

If you KNOW (not NO) so much and only post about things you KNOW about, then maybe I would suggest looking at your own posts and subjects you’ve started before judging others.

All you ever do is berate and ignore any advice given by seasoned and expert posters.

And if you’re going to belittle posts on here suggesting they get their information from supposed unreliable resources then I suggest you stop posting here and don’t ask for any future help.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh here comes Gary. The forum police. I berate others when they give poor people on here the wrong advice. I am not a mr know it all, there are plenty of subjects i dont no much about hence why i come on here for advice. But the subjects i do no about i will voice my opinion and will not people give false information about subjects that no nothing about. Its not fair on the people who are coming for advice

You are one of these posters who seem to pop up on everythread giving completely wrong information on about 90% of them.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As for wikipedia - i think that sums up this forum. If people are relying on wiki to get their information then its a sad state of affairs. Ive not read that page, i dont need too, i no what i am talking about.

If you had a proper education you would know it is 'know about' not 'no about'.
    Just ask anybody working in financial services about the training they receive and the scenarios they are shown as to what is and is not money laundering.
    Money in and money straight out is top of the list.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    oh and as for 'season experts'

lol