Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Santander blocked account- help! - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Santander blocked account- help!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
109 replies 6K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Something doesn't add up here, I thought banks aren't allowed by law to tell their customers that? :huh:

Correct - usually they don't advise the the reason why
  • stevenhp1987stevenhp1987 Forumite
    907 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Something doesn't add up here, I thought banks aren't allowed by law to tell their customers that? :huh:

They are not.

Most providers, including M&S also only loan up to £25k.

It's still the school holidays...
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Santander can only see that it is a bank transfer in of 30K folowed by a 30K bank transfer out

however this should not trigger money laundering alarms I do it all the time - we all do...

you have a fixed rate bond mature and you decide to move it to a different institution for a better interest rate so the money comes into your current account and immediately sent it off to a new provider

as I said Santander need to sort themselves out

this is all a course assuming it's not a school holiday prank
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    18cc wrote: »
    Yes Santander can only see that it is a bank transfer in of 30K folowed by a 30K bank transfer out

however this should not trigger money laundering alarms I do it all the time - we all do...

You & I do it all the time & our accounts don't get frozen, it's when it is a rarity that it arouses suspicion.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • sassy-onesassy-one Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I smell a rat... you would NOT of been told that the account was blocked due to ML. No. Never. Nope.

More like you know that, maybe because you took a loan out in a ex partners name / ex husband, still had access to an old account of his and thought, I transfer the lot into my own account.

If you are genuine, then the question that screams is why did you not use his account to use the money, transferring what was needed and when, in smaller amounts when required.

There is all too much more to the story you type.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mozart33 wrote: »
    Hi there, looking for advice from people with similar experiences or knowledge.....

Unlikely you will get any responses from people with similar experiences - they all posted once, got asked awkward questions and then disappeared because they couldn't devise suitable answers!

Could you let me know why you chose to call yourself Mozart33? Was it because the other 32 were already taken?
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    From M&S to Santander and then on again to Barclays - it looks like money laundering (I know from reading on here it is not) but your bank does not have access to here to read what you are doing.

Why not send it in the first place from M&S to Barclays?

You will have to wait until they are satisfied the monies are legit.

How on earth does that sound like money laundering? do you even know what money laundering is? I can transfer money to many different accounts as i want as many times as i want. I do hate it when people just offer opinions on matters they do not know anything about.

IVe never heard of anyone trying to launder money through online transfers bank transfers.Fraud yes, but not money laundering.

The reason your account is suspended is due to the large amount. It happens from time to time especially on accounts in which big transfers are not a normal occurrence. That must of flagged it up for security checks. Nothing to worry about

Money Laundering... Goodness Sake.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Here is what i think has happened.
    Scammer transferred some dodgy money into a legitimate persons account. Legitimate person was promised 2 or 3k to transfer the money to another account. Legitimate person did transfer minus his 2 or 3k and the bank have clocked or its been reported and now alarm bells ringing.

Something similar like that...

If that is true then no way out for the legitimate person. CIFAS marker guaranteed and maybe police involved but doubtful, they dont do anything nowdays

However still not money laundering, just fraud
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Yes - money laundering.

A scammer “transferring dodgy money” to a legitimate persons account is money laundering.
  • BoGoFBoGoF Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    Here is what i think has happened.
    Scammer transferred some dodgy money into a legitimate persons account. Legitimate person was promised 2 or 3k to transfer the money to another account. Legitimate person did transfer minus his 2 or 3k and the bank have clocked or its been reported and now alarm bells ringing.

Something similar like that...

If that is true then no way out for the legitimate person. CIFAS marker guaranteed and maybe police involved but doubtful, they dont do anything nowdays

However still not money laundering, just fraud

So the whole point of the transfers is to turn dirty money into clean money. If only they had a name for that......