Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Santander blocked account- help! - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Santander blocked account- help!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
109 replies 6K views

Replies

• meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    Here is what i think has happened.
    Scammer transferred some dodgy money into a legitimate persons account. Legitimate person was promised 2 or 3k to transfer the money to another account. Legitimate person did transfer minus his 2 or 3k and the bank have clocked or its been reported and now alarm bells ringing.

Something similar like that...

If that is true then no way out for the legitimate person. CIFAS marker guaranteed and maybe police involved but doubtful, they dont do anything nowdays

However still not money laundering, just fraud

What are you talking about ?

Of course money is laundered using online transfers, what the OP did would trigger AML checks.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear oh dear.... that is fraud.

When i mean dodgy mean i mean the scammer is transferring funds probably from someones real account they paid to do so or stole details for the account or got hacked. Various different scenarios...

You have been told a few times by many different people on the forum to refrain from offering opinions on matters which you have little knowledge. It confuses people
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    BoGoF wrote: »
    So the whole point of the transfers is to turn dirty money into clean money. If only they had a name for that......

Nope that was not dirty money. IT was clearn money used fraudulently. Big difference i.e account has been hacked or details stolen or the person whos bank account it was, was in on it. Its called Fraud
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    meer53 wrote: »
    What are you talking about ?

Of course money is laundered using online transfers, what the OP did would trigger AML checks.

Absolute nonsense. What he did is nothing do with money laundering. Its standard fraud checks because of the amount. Ive done about 10 transfers back and forth to various accounts one after the other on small amounts no problems. Ive even done bigger ones for about 5k and its been fine.

Would love to no how money is laundered online ? Any one example would do. I dont think you know what money laundering actually means
  • BoGoFBoGoF Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only one person talking nonsence on here. Good job nobody listens to you.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Nice deflection... in other words what you were trying to say was..

'your right and i have no explanation but i dont want to make myself look like i dont know what i am talking about so ile just deflect the conversation away'
  • dreamingdreaming Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth does that sound like money laundering? do you even know what money laundering is? I can transfer money to many different accounts as i want as many times as i want. I do hate it when people just offer opinions on matters they do not know anything about.

IVe never heard of anyone trying to launder money through online transfers bank transfers.Fraud yes, but not money laundering.

The reason your account is suspended is due to the large amount. It happens from time to time especially on accounts in which big transfers are not a normal occurrence. That must of flagged it up for security checks. Nothing to worry about

Money Laundering... Goodness Sake.

Having worked in finance for many years and sat through countless presentations of money laundering and having to regularly sign to say I had undertaken the training and understood the rules then I think I can safely say that yes, I do know what money laundering is, and online transfers are definitely involved in many cases.
    I too regularly transfer monies to my various accounts to satisfy the monthly deposit T's&C's but as these are regular amounts each month and for relatively small amount (up to £1500) I too have had no problems. However if I "suddenly" had a deposit of £20-30k and attempted to transfer that almost immediately then I'm pretty sure the bank's system would flag something up and it would be investigated. If I could produce legitimate loan documentation then I am confident that the funds would be released, although this could of course take several days. I am also confident that no member of the bank's staff would tell me, or even hint, that it was on suspicion of money laundering as this could result in a criminal prosecution if ML was the case, or disciplinary action (possibly dismissal) even if it were not the case.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    dreaming wrote: »
    Having worked in finance for many years and sat through countless presentations of money laundering and having to regularly sign to say I had undertaken the training and understood the rules then I think I can safely say that yes, I do know what money laundering is, and online transfers are definitely involved in many cases.
    I too regularly transfer monies to my various accounts to satisfy the monthly deposit T's&C's but as these are regular amounts each month and for relatively small amount (up to £1500) I too have had no problems. However if I "suddenly" had a deposit of £20-30k and attempted to transfer that almost immediately then I'm pretty sure the bank's system would flag something up and it would be investigated. If I could produce legitimate loan documentation then I am confident that the funds would be released, although this could of course take several days. I am also confident that no member of the bank's staff would tell me, or even hint, that it was on suspicion of money laundering as this could result in a criminal prosecution if ML was the case, or disciplinary action (possibly dismissal) even if it were not the case.

Thanks for the explanation, you have just repeated exactly what i have just said earlier on. I agree with everything you have said in the post regarding deposits, bank checks etc. The only difference is everyone seems to think the transaction was flagged for money laundering. That is totally incorrect, it was flagged for a security check for due to the large amount which is pretty standard. Nothing to do with money laundering.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    15K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolute nonsense. What he did is nothing do with money laundering. Its standard fraud checks because of the amount. Ive done about 10 transfers back and forth to various accounts one after the other on small amounts no problems. Ive even done bigger ones for about 5k and its been fine.
    It's not nonsense. What the OP describes is exactly how money can get laundered (although nobody is suggesting that the OP was actually part of a money-laundering scheme). The fact that your transfers, between accounts in your own name and for much smaller amounts, went through without a hitch is neither here nor there, and is no proof for anything. A little research will inform you that, under Money Laundering Regulations, banks are legally obliged to carry out due diligence on transactions of the kind the OP describes. 'Due diligence' involves a variety of checks, which will invariably take some time to complete. Being checked under Money Laundering Regulations doesn't mean you are involved in money laundering, just as being checked at airports for weapons and explosives doesn't mean you are a terrorist.
    Would love to no how money is laundered online ? Any one example would do.
    as above. You have already been given one perfect example.
    I dont think you know what money laundering actually means
    Just because this case doesn't follow your definition of money laundering does not mean the transactions on the OP's account haven't automatically triggered AML checks.
  • msallenmsallen Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Would love to no how money is laundered online ? Any one example would do. I dont think you know what money laundering actually means

Another addition to the ignore club.