Saving for..?

Options

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Belated birthday wishes!

Hope the GP solves your health mystery, but if you do not feel right then contact NH24 again or go to the minor ailments thing at the hospital!!

I saw the ride at the markets, took some photos of it too. Must have been fun based on all the screaming I heard :D

Hope your cold clears up soon, there's a lot of bugs around at the moment :(
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!

BF and I went out for some food (ribs, onion rings and fries loaded with bacon, onion and cheese!) and then a whole bunch of cocktails and shots. Sat at the pub just the two of us but had great fun then went up to see the fireworks at 12. For 15 minutes everyone of all different ages and races were celebrating - it was nice :). The trams were free but unfortunately didn't go our way so had to spend £5, when it's usually £1.70, to get the bus but oh well we got home safely. I was ill the next day even though we were only out a few hours and didn't go clubbing, I have no idea how I used to knock back the shots until 3am just a few years ago!!

I am now home catching up with my soaps then back to work tomorrow. Gosh it's so confusing this time of year isn't it? I know everything is mostly back tomorrow but I'm getting so confused wondering if the stores will be open etc! I think BF & I are both glad it's back to normalcy though and back to saving. Time to check the spending damage..

Groceries: £5.40/£25
    Entertainment: £112.93/£60 :eek:

BF bought our NYE food and our first drink then I spent £26.73 on our drinks which isn't bad tbf! But I think it will be a month or two before we treat ourselves out. I'm totally full up! 13 days till pay day. £200 to H2B ISA and £250 to savings too so it's not all bad :)
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year Jenny, I hope you are feeling better. Well done on being brave enough to go out and on enjoying yourself and bulding memories.

Drinks were also expensive at our Christmas Party. Still the pubs have to make a living I suppose. We are lucky we don't drink that often I wonder how regular partygoers afford it? lol. I do sound like an old person!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    I am very ashamed to admit this but it wasn't unheard of for me to spend up to £200 on a night out. Obviously not every weekend but maybe a few times a year. I used to be a very big people pleaser and I'd buy everyone drinks just to make sure they were having fun... nice friends to take advantage of that! I drink only a few times a year and generally buy a bottle for pre-drinks which can last me a few nights out then I take it slow when out. No shots (NYE reminded me why..) and I drink water between drinks and stop drinking after around midnight.

I'm so sad, I went to pick up groceries and my gnocchi went from 65p to £1.19. It was 65p for BF when he bought it yesterday, same store different town so, weird. Oh well its worth it tbh and I get a few meals out of it. I add garlic, onions, tomatoes, smoked sausage and spinach, topped with cheese then into the oven. Absolutely yummy!

On checking my HR portal for work, our annual leave was refreshed as our holidays run Jan-Dec, they have only given me holidays until 22nd October which marks a year since I started this job. I was aware the contract was "temporary subject to funding" but just reminds me that it's definitely just a project. There is still time for it to be extended but tbh I'm struggling with getting it up and running. There are big changes in January so really hoping it will pick up. If not, then it seems I at least have until October, not July like I thought, to worry about what to do.

Shopping will tide me over until next week so this weekend is housework and making the best of my NowTV film pass.

Groceries: £16.67/£25
    Entertainment: £112.93/£60
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    You are talking to the idiot who used to buy designer clothes so don't apologise. After my wages fell I stopped going out as I couldn't afford to so I gave them away over the last few years to charity and a ebay sales.

Yuk to your food price rise. I hope they will extend your contract but do keep looking to be on the safe side. My job is permanent but that doesn't mean anything any more.

Make the most of today and chill as you work hard.
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Work has picked up again today which I'm happy about. Rather be complaining about how busy I am rather than how bored I am. Is that normal? I like to earn my keep. Soon I'll be complaining I need a break!! Looking at booking some holidays in March to finally see my newest nephew.

Now that my cold has kinda disappeared I'm feeling disgusted at how messy the house is. You know I'm feeling better when I want to work hard and clean lol!!

£5.23 cashed out on prolific and £12.31 spent on groceries. I'm due my first month of interest on my marcus account at the end of today - I have no idea how interest works but hopefully it'll be something...

Also received a statement from a pension I haven't put into since 2015.. I'm trying to consolidate all my pensions, again I'm not sure if that's the smartest thing to do but being fair I don't have very much in pensions anyway...Something for me to look at further in the year when I know where my job is going.

9 days till payday...

Groceries: £12.31/£25
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Gosh I've been busy... I said I wouldn't complain! I do have much more energy right now and feel more confident and happy now I'm busy but the fact I'm busy is also bad because it means people are suffering out there. Without going too much into detail about my job (privacy reasons) I spent quite a bit of money to look after a young gentleman today. I will some of it back in expenses and I'm not too bothered but it's just so sad to see how everyone else treats people like him, they just want to be treated like everyone else. It breaks my heart.

I also treated myself to hot chocolate as was busy all day. I'm not dreading going back to work I'm looking forward to it because I want to make sure people are ok and things are being done right. Does mean my housework has taken a step back and I really need to get a move on with that, especially if bf is coming over this weekend but not sure the plans yet.

Anyhoo £3 on the hot chocolate plus £1.50 getting milk and garlic, just need juice, olive oil and some chicken I think then probably treat myself to pizza at the weekend too. Hopefully remain in budget.

I also saw on my HMRC I apparently owe £600 tax this year then on another page it says it's £200? My tax code has been changed to start taking it back over 4 months :( I did receive a £142 tax rebate in my last pay from my old job but I was earning so little there's no way I owe more than that. I need my manager to send away my p45 again but not sure it will be fixed before I get paid. Tax is just so confusing. But after the work I do, I'm just glad I have a house, food, warmth and some savings at the end of the month and am feeling blessed.

Groceries: £16.81/£25
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I would chat to your HR dept and or manager and ask their advice. Fingers crossed that you wont pay any extra.

Sometimes you need a treat at work so it's good you treated yourself. When I first started this job I used to pay for things and not claim them back now I do it but not as often as in the public and charity sector they rely on this.
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Well I'm happy I had a busy week and I think next week will be too. Still sort of winging my way through the job but hey I'll get there. My manager visited and said I'm doing a great job which is reassuring but time will only tell if the contract gets more funding.

Also been a really expensive month. 3 more days to pay day - I gave my manager my P45 and hoping that solves the tax code but it probably won't resolve itself until the end of the tax year. Should still be enough money to see me through and once I get paid I'll be back to budgeting and managing my money properly.

So I had to spend £7.11 on groceries, then £4.30 on lunch then £7.52 on more food for bf and I over the weekend as some of the food I intended to use sort of went off? So yeah, my food budget was pretty crazy this week. Tomorrow I need to buy lunch too as yet again I have nothing in and I'm too tired to go to the store let alone cook. Can't wait to get back into routine next week.

I also had to lend bf some money, his dad sent him but apparently there's a problem with international transfers for his bank so there's been delays. I'll get this back and I'm awaiting some expenses to be approved.

Looking at going back home for a few days to see my newest nephew in Feb then to Ireland for a family celebration in March. Will book some holidays this week. Also have a night out in Feb so looking forward to that. Really need things to look forward to otherwise I get quite depressed. Let's make this a good year guys :j

Right now I'm doing laundry, watching TV, making do with the spiciest crisps we thought we could handle but couldn't because I'm super hungry...

Back to normalcy tomorrow.. oh my head is spinning!

Groceries: £35.74/£25
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Fingers crossed the pay will be ok.

I think you have done really well working full time and only buying lunch a few times. You have also helped boyfriend out. My (very rich) brother in law lives abroad and pays for my niece at uni the currency conversions cause delays all the time so I sympathise.

Wow so you are planning to do some travelling that is wonderful. It is really something to look forward to. We like a bit of travel on this thread. Hurrah.

Have a good Sunday and Monday.:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport