Saving for..?

Options

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    New jobs are always nerve racking, having to get to know new people, suss out where everything is, adjust to new systems and the way everyone works, but after a few days it all starts coming together, after a few months you wonder why you never changed roles sooner :D

If you do go over budget this week, try and go under budget a quid or two for the next month or so. You know it happens occasionally.

Your new life has started, it's just warming up and soon it will be endless days of sunshine!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Yes I got my contract today which was really long and scary. Everything seems to be in order though but like every other charity it's dependent on funding, so my job could end July next year (or even earlier!) I hope I get treated well and respected and not just flung to the side. It's so difficult being on your own not having the security of someone else's job! More reason to save, save, save and network and do well.

Well I don't know where my head is lately but it really needs to sort itself out soon! Today I drove 15 miles to my training just to then read my emails (after wondering why no-one was there!) and realising I was 6 days early!!! How!!! I had to cancel my attendance next week as I have something else in now... I couldn't find my cold meat in my fridge so thought I had left it at work - nope, turns out I had left it in my car from the previous day!!! So I had to then go and get cold meat from the shop for my lunch. Great, I'll pick up the creme fraiche that I forgot as I need it for tea tonight. Well.. guess what.. I forgot that at work when I went home so had to buy more! My manager checked and the expiry date is the 20th so I can pick it up when next in the office and hopefully use it next week. Doh!

So that was another £4.80!!! added to my grocery budget. I had to also pick up some carpet freshener as my car carpet got wet and really stinks.

Groceries: £24.98/£25
    Petrol: £40.01/£55
    Entertainment: £30.13/£60

So yep, I wasted petrol travelling to a non-existent training then had to spend almost the rest of my grocery budget because I keep forgetting things lately!! I don't know whats going on with me.

Definitely going to be over my grocery budget this week unless BF gets in there and shoves money to the cashier which is likely. He has his bank card but hasn't deposited money yet and doesn't have his pin number yet. We really need to sort something out regarding how we split our money when buying groceries or going out together. I would like to maybe go for lunch on Sunday with bf, a small cafe or something so at least I have some in my entertainment budget. BF and I also occasionally smoke so I have to admit (it's the only way I'll be held accountable for my money!!) that will be going into entertainment budget this week too... We split a packet and generally once its smoked that's us for another few months. We only really drink for special occasions and neither of us have expensive hobbies, we just like to eat out sometimes, go to the cinema and cook together.

I did cash out a £7 from prolific so that softens the blow a little :o Also found out that there is more people than I thought coming to my leaving lunch next Friday, even travelling for it so that does make me feel a little better as I am, as always, the quiet one at work so didn't think anyone would want to come as it will probably be a bit boring but... they all love food so probably won't miss the chance :D There was the choice of a lunch time work lunch or an after-work get together but the latter would result in me getting home at 4am again wearing a princess crown and £60 lighter so saving some money doing it at lunch time as we all have to go back to work so no drinks. Though who knows, some of them can be very convincing and I might be back out after work for a few... :o:o
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bless you for having the mix ups. It's easily done when you are doing so much and the moving jobs, being so busy it is understandable. Lol. It happens to all of us.

Hurrah for your contract- that gives you some certainty which is great. The food bill is fine as you are eating nice food.
    I think your spending will sort itself out but it's great you are still earning from Prolific. In the summer I will try some of these things!

Glad lots of people are going to your leaving do, you have obviously had a big impact on them.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    At least you were 6 days early rather than 6 days late?? That's what I tell myself when I've done that (embarrassingly, I've had to tell myself that more than once :eek:) I've also had to stop picking up yellow sticker foods on my lunch break as I invariably leave them at work and then they're gone off by the time I'm next in, which isn't very MSE :rotfl:

Sounds like you'll have a fab leaving do, with lots of people wanting to celebrate your new job with you!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Oh goodness, hello

Recovering from a naughty naughty weekend. Bf and I had a minor tiff and in my typical I-can't-deal-with-emotions fashion, I messaged my longest known friend to hang out so I could get drunk and forget it. Bf and I made up and decided we'd still go out and meet her and her bf.

I'm v happy with how it went, they got on well with bf so v pleased and her bf seemed really nice too :)

I did check my bank to make sure I had enough for next week for petrol, food and my spotify bill. Old me would have transferred a 3-figure sum from my savings just for that one night but I made sure to have fun but keep enough for bills and no touching savings.. :money:. We had a great night but can't believe I used to do this every weekend! A couple quiet weekends now I think. It should definitely calm down when I start my next job (one more week to go!) and have to work some weekends (boo). So here goes...

Groceries: £28.13/£25
    Petrol: £40.01/£55
    Entertainment: £92.78/£60

:o:o:o:o

Just checking though, I have saved £324.09 this payday and haven't taken any out so a girl can have a little fun right :D
    I will! get that car service booked in probably the following weekend, it is due at the end of this month so I will get that booked asap and say goodbye to this months savings most likely :p
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Jenny, I'm biased as you are our friend. You are perfectly entitled to enjoy yourself so well done that you met up with friends.

You are going to be spending on the car which I think is an investment. I am sure you will make up your savings the month afterwards.

Wishing you good luck with the new job. :beer::beer: have a good week.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Yeay, I'm so glad your friends love bf as much as you do! Very well done on having a good time without wiping out your monthly savings :) I'm actually doing the opposite of you and really trying to make more of an effort to meet up with friends, whilst keeping it as cheap as possible. I have friends scattered all over the country (as a result of having moved away from parents and uni) and actually don't have many friends locally. I definitely think spending time with friends and loved ones is super important, it's just keeping a lid on the costs that's the problem :D
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    pinknsparkly I live 200 miles from my friends and family after having moved here for an ex bf and deciding to stay so I know the feeling of not being able to see friends. This friend lives in the capital city where bf also stays which is about an hour on the bus but still closer than seeing my family and other friends who I only see once or twice a year. Next stop will be taking bf there in January hopefully to meet all my family. So yes getting a pay rise but then it will be BF's birthday november.. 3/4 nephews birthdays nov-december, christmas, taking bf to family... has to be done though and once it's done it's done.. then it'll be my turn to meet his at some point :eek:
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Groceries: £12.19/£25
    Petrol: £54.97/£55
    Entertainment: £92.78/£60

I think I can get away with no more groceries until I get paid on Friday. Then I will be spending my money on a lunch meal with work!! Next week I have to travel (train or bus, whatevers cheapest) for my training induction. So it's going to be tight next month too but this is why I got a new job in the first place.

Oh and I got that service booked for payday too! Goodbye money!!
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Well that was my last day of work today!
    Went for a nice lunch where they presented me gifts of disaronno, a diary, a mug, a big box of ferrero rocher and a gift card voucher! Really wasn't expecting all of that at all but it was super nice.
    I also got my car serviced and wasn't too bad - got a new windscreen wiper, new registration plate bulb and a brake pipe which I knew needed done so £189.90 in all and everything else seems to be in pretty good working order!
    I also bought train tickets as it will be a nightmare to park for the place I am going to do my training on Monday so £15.75 for those but he said I will be reimbured and then will be the same for Tuesday then afterwards I think I am just working in my home town.
    Then £13.40 spent in Asda on food for this weekend. Didn't even get much and yes whilst Asda is relatively cheap I could get so much from Aldi on that!

So:
    Groceries: £25.59/£25
    Petrol: £0/£55
    Entertainment: £10.95

I also put £17.48 leftover money from last wage into savings plus the difference between my expenses and my petrol money which was £11.56 just to get something into savings though might need to take back out.

Now to pick up bf. We are having a quiet weekend as he has work to do and we spent a lot last weekend. I believe his friends want to go for a few drinks soon so I at least have a gift voucher I can use for bf and I to get a meal and then alcohol to share for pre-drinks!!

I didn't really feel sad until I left my work today, feels like I'm just going there on Monday but I'm not!! I did really like my colleagues and I just hope my new job have great people too because although it's a lot more money my colleagues really made it worth going to work as I felt so supported not just at work but in my personal life too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure