New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Saving for..?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
237 replies 16.8K views

Replies

• JennyJukesJennyJukes Forumite
    314 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭
    Haha thanks guys!

I really enjoyed the interview today, we worked in a group, did one to one interviews and one to one presentations. Wasn't as scary as it sounds and the other candidates were absolutely lovely! It would be a confidence boost if they chose me over any of them but I also wouldn't be upset if I didn't because they were all great. I didn't find out if I got it or not but I have a plan if I do.

Savingswannabe, boyfriend and I have realized the times we have been together they have all been very last minute and not set in stone until the flights are booked, so we knew it wouldn't be easy but once he is here that's him for 2 years at least! And with either of these jobs I could officially sponsor him as a spouse if required, though I'm not sure how long the post I'm offered will last as it is due to funding but the current job I am in doesn't meet the financial requirement anyway so. Also he has just been told a decision has been made and he needs to pick up his passport so that doesn't mean it's 100% been accepted, he will only find out when he picks it up in Sunday (which is the beginning of the working week over there!) I won't see him until next weekend but I'll just be happy knowing he is here and he can settle in before we see each other again.

Paid today!!
    £20 on petrol, £3.68 on lunch because I missed lunch AGAIN!! Next week will be less hectic though hopefully. Need to top up groceries tomorrow but won't be much. Not sure what this month brings financially but at least soon I'll be making enough to worry a little less.

I had £154.96 leftover from last month put into savings.
    Added the difference of my petrol used and expenses paid into savings too which was £68.66!!
    Will likely need to take savings out but for now they're staying there.

That means last month I added:
    Savings in: £455.24 into savings (I miscalculated earlier) from my wage and cashback and prolific!! I did have some bills that were less or not needed paid this month. Next month will not be anywhere near this amount!
    Savings out: 0!!

Emergency Fund: £2121.38
    H2B: £6934.95
    = £9056.33 :j

Groceries: £8.75/£25
    Petrol: £20/£55
    Entertainment: £3.68/£60
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: Complete :j
    House Deposit: On-Going
    Second-Hand Replacement Car: On-Going
    And whatever else the future brings... :)
    314 posts
    ✭✭
    Absolutely wonderful day.

I walked into town and treated myself to some unstoppables - those in-scent freshness boosters - as the cheaper laundry detergent I've been using doesn't leave much of a lingering smell which I like. Bought air freshner for my car too as it probably smells too much like Mcds right now :rotfl:

Then popped to Aldi for some more groceries.

Will find out tomorrow what's happening with my boyfriends visa and what flight he's getting and so on. Next week I'll find out for sure what job I'm going to - need to get that sorted asap as I'm already spending the extra money :o

£4.48 in B&M and £6.88 in Aldi for groceries added to the grocery budget:

Groceries: £20.11/£25

Added leftover grocery budget to savings :

Emergency Fund: £2126.27
    = £9061.22

House has been cleaned and time to catch up with all my competitions!
    Saving for:
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love those Unstoppables. I have asked my parents to get me some when they are on offer. They feel like a luxury and make us feel rich!!!!

Superb savings Jenny, extremely well done on both interviews, hurrah for boyfriend. I hope he is here vvv quickly. It sounds like you are having a great weekend. Well done and enjoy it.
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • pinknsparklypinknsparkly Forumite
    500 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Amazing news on the job Jenny, and the visa for your boyfriend!! You must be bouncing off the walls right now (I know I wold be, anyway :rotfl:)

About your energy provider increasing your direct debit - write down your arguments clearly and coherently and then give them a call to tell them NOT to increase your direct debit and why. It sounds like you have solid reasons for them not to increase it. I did exactly the same thing when EON decided they were going to increase my DD by about £70 :eek: It was based entirely on estimated readings as they had my meter set up incorrectly on their system and so wouldn't allow me to supply them with any meter readings. They left it as it was :beer:
    MFW2020 challenge #99: £4,822.33 / £3,600
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: £17,252.41 / £30,000
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Mar 2051
    Last updated: 30/09/2020
    314 posts
    ✭✭
    I love those Unstoppables. I have asked my parents to get me some when they are on offer. They feel like a luxury and make us feel rich!!!!

Superb savings Jenny, extremely well done on both interviews, hurrah for boyfriend. I hope he is here vvv quickly. It sounds like you are having a great weekend. Well done and enjoy it.
    I got the smaller one for £1.99 from B&Ms, there were bigger bottles on offer (obviously more expensive) but I wanted to try it out first. From the instructions, I'd probably only get around 3 washes with that one bottle!! I'm going to try it out in next washing but probably just half a capful. I absolutely love smelly things, it is very comforting to me as I have sensory processing disorder. I received lavender oil in the mail too and even just touching the bottle leaves my clothes smelling of it! So that's always a cheap option if this doesn't work out.
    Amazing news on the job Jenny, and the visa for your boyfriend!! You must be bouncing off the walls right now (I know I wold be, anyway :rotfl:)

About your energy provider increasing your direct debit - write down your arguments clearly and coherently and then give them a call to tell them NOT to increase your direct debit and why. It sounds like you have solid reasons for them not to increase it. I did exactly the same thing when EON decided they were going to increase my DD by about £70 :eek: It was based entirely on estimated readings as they had my meter set up incorrectly on their system and so wouldn't allow me to supply them with any meter readings. They left it as it was :beer:
    Haha I am both excited and nervous! I keep going from "I can do this" to "I can't do this!!!" with this new job. I'm sure it won't be as scary as I expect.

The energy company took my usual direct debit so hopefully stays that way, will keep updating my meter readings online regularly. Yes they sent it as "estimated" meter readings even though I've given them every month since I moved in July? They gave no explanation for this and said they would check out my smart meter? Shrug.

Well, I didn't get the job I went for on Friday so that made my decision for me. I have officially handed in my notice yesterday but it doesn't feel real yet!! Boyfriend has also officially landed and has met with friends to get things ready for his apartment. We will see each other this weekend :j:j I'm excited but also nervous because previously we have just spent a week at a time with each other and now we're going to see each other most weekends so it'll be a big change. I think it's hard as well because we're so close but we both have things we need to focus on!!

Will hopefully go to the cinema this weekend together, hopefully the weather won't be so bad :) Maybe now boyfriend is here my diary can be a little more exciting :p but probably not with him being a student we do still have to be frugal! It will be fun figuring it out together though :)

The new job pretty much came on perfect timing as I won't need to worry too much about paying bills and seeing boyfriend but even with the pay rise I'm going to be careful and make sure I save for whatever the future brings :) Will update my SOA after first full pay to see what I can do.

Aldi trip - £9.32

Groceries: £9.32/£25

Added £6.99 from prolific into savings

Emergency Fund: £2134.79/£3000
    = £9069.74
    Saving for:
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    314 posts
    ✭✭
    Well I tried the unstoppables... sort of. I forgot about it once I had already loaded the washing machine so I tried to tuck the balls under all the clothes then forgot they weren't supposed to be in the dosing ball just in the machine, facepalms. I'm very tired recently. I used half a cup.

It came out ok. I mean it's a subtle smell but not as nice as when I was using more expensive laundry detergent. I'll finish the bottle but it's probably cheaper to just buy nicer laundry detergent next time.

Anyway, got some salad and fruit for £1.70 today then bought cinema tickets from groupon 2 for £10!! It would cost us £23.50 or thereabouts for an adult and student ticket so saving £13.50!! It's for Odeon cinema and I think they're still being sold on Groupon if anyone is interested! We are planning to go on Sunday. Boyfriend is notoriously last minute (I'm a planner) so I won't be redeeming them until I know for sure he's coming here

Groceries: £11.02/£25
    Entertainment: £13.68/£60

Made some spag bol today, enough for 3 extra portions and I'm going to make some chicken stir fry tomorrow. So I have plenty food to last me this week though will probably make another batch of something this weekend for boyfriend and I to eat together. Cannot wait :)
    Saving for:
    314 posts
    ✭✭
    Well smelling my clothes now and they are just very subtly nice smelling and some of them don't have any smell at all. I think it helps if you 1) put in a full capful and 2) use a tumble dryer as the clothes that dried in my electric heater have more of a smell than the other clothes. I think I'm just going to get better detergent next time.

Another £5.30 into my emergency fund thanks to prolific so signature will be updated.

The rubber seal around the window that was smashed is falling down because whoever broke in bent the window frame out of shape. It's fine day to day but when I'm driving above 60 it starts to fall down and it's incredibly embarrassing. I'm also worried it will start to let ice in when the colder weather comes in and I don't want to be driving clients when it's like that. But I really, really get such bad anxiety going to car garages, I have no idea what I'm saying and I feel like they look at me like I'm stupid. I'm going to ask bf to come with me when I find somewhere. It's also definitely not worth paying for a new door frame completely if it comes to that so not sure what I'm going to do.

Picking boyfriend up tomorrow!!! it's been over 3 months since we saw each other which is actually the shorter we've went without seeing each other!!
    Saving for:
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could always go to a car scrap yard to see if they have the make / model / year of your car, buy the complete door.

Replacing the door is fairly straightforward, a few bolts, check strap and it's off, then fitting the replacement one. Change the lock from your current door to the replacement and it's problem solved.

You may need to get the replacement door resprayed to match your car colour, or if a popular car you may get the same colour!

As a temp fix to your current one, silicone the window up :D not ideal if it's a warm day, but a fix is a fix.
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad boyfriend is here! I hope you can see a nice film and well done on bargain prices, food bargains and cooking.

We both like scented washing. lol. I use lovely flavoured ironing water when ordinary water would do!!!!

I hope the car can be sorted cheaply and that you have a great weekend.
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • Hope you're having a great weekend, JennyJukes :)