VelvetFreak is saving up to buy a house!

Comments

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I pretty much agree with what the others have said.  Your boss sounds like a real pr*ck by the way.... pity he can't be the one laid off.
    Don't knock yourself out trying to do everyone elses work either.  You won't get any thanks for it from him, it will just reinforce his belief that he was correct to get rid of staff, and might make him think that he can leave it that way when things return to 'normal'.

Take care of yourself.  ((hugs))X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Happy Saturday everyone!
    I'm still alive (and employed!). More work shenanigans have occurred. The Somewhat Decent Coworker will most likely be made redundant as she won't agree to our bosses' ridiculous terms. I am now looking at getting a payrise (:astonished:) to take over her work and continue to do my own as well. My boss is being really irrational and totally weird and trying to play us all off each other. He's twisting words and being manipulative. Needless to say, my brain feels like a scrambled egg right now. None of this is official so we'll see what happens on Monday. Send help. And chocolate.

I am feeling guilty that my coworker is getting screwed over and I will probably "benefit" from her being made redundant. She told me the other day that no matter what happens between her and our boss, we will always be friends and she will give me a reference to get a new job if I need it, her problem is with our boss and not me. I could have cried. This situation is just awful for everyone involved.

In more positive news: This week I have been on two "dates" with a guy (as much as it can be called a date when nothing is open and there's nothing to do). Don't worry, we have not broken any official social distancing rules. He is very nice and I think we will have another date at some point. We went for a long walk last night as there is nothing else to do. I live in fear that the government will bring in a rule that people won't be allowed to visit each other :anguished: At this stage, people who live alone are still allowed to have one visitor, so him and I can visit each other and I can still visit my best friend and she can visit me. I'm not feeling too isolated at all except for the part where I can't go to the shops. We're still allowed to go for walks as long as you don't go near other people, so that's a positive. 

Anyway, I don't know what I will do today. I have doors that need one more coat of paint but it's currently raining so not great weather for painting. For now I will sit here and drink my coffee and feel strange about everything going on in the world. I hope you are all feeling okay. Stay safe and eat chocolate xx

• South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm starting to wonder whether your boss and the annoying coworker are having a secret relationship and that's why he always overlooks her mistakes and favours her over the decent coworker....

Hopefully that suggestion is outrageous enough to put a smile on your face - best I can do, as I can't go to the shops or post office to despatch chocolate 😂!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry to hear about your work issues. It's awful when you're stuck in the middle of things, especially when you have problems with one!

• VelvetFreak
    Well. The Somewhat Decent Coworker was made redundant today, she has packed her desk and left. Wild times. :open_mouth:
    Not much else to report. It was a boring day with just me and the boss. He needs to brush up on his acting skills. He was pretending to be disappointed about having to get rid of my coworker. Not convincing at all. 
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sorry to hear about the somewhat decent coworker being made redundant. Your boss just sounds more and more delightful. 👀 😡 Just make sure you're not busting a gut for him because it doesn't sound like he would appreciate it.

Glad to hear about your "dates" with the nice guy. Hope it continues to go well. I think the hardest thing to deal with in a lockdown is not being able to visit your family and friends, I really hate not seeing my mum (and ditching the kids with her 😂) and my brother & sister, nieces and nephews etc. 
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,993 Forumite
    I'm sorry for your colleague: I hope when the worst of this is past she will find a job that appreciates her and where she's happy. I'm sure you'd be able to give her a reference!
    So are you stuck with the rubbish co-worker?
    Hope your day goes well. :smile:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Hi everyone :smile:

Just checking in to say hello. There's not a whole lot to report financially. I hope you've all had a good Easter. 
    The Annoying Coworker now works only 4 days a week. It will be nice to have that one day a week of not having to deal with her. Still haven't had a proper conversation with my boss about my role/pay although he keeps assuring me that my job is safe.

I have been hanging out with my new "friend" (guy that I met on the internet :innocent:) and things are going well. In Australia you are still allowed to have two visitors which I am thankful for as I think I would become quite mentally ill if I couldn't see one or two people each week. He is currently stood down from his job and only leaves the house to get groceries and to visit me so I think we are pretty safe as far as the v!rus goes. We have been watching the Tiger King tv show (trashy but highly entertaining) and doing a puzzle. Wholesome, boring times. I did not see my family over Easter, not just because of social distancing but because they are still dysfunctional as all hell.

Hoping I will have something to report over the weekend if my boss finally tells me what my "increased" pay will be. Am not feeling optimistic about this one.

Hope you're all coping well in this madness :heart:
    Thankfully there is still ample supplies of chocolate here. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,993 Forumite
    Ample supplies of chocolate are very important!
    We are holding our own and feeling like hermits. :smile:  It's probably hardest for those who are totally alone or in overcrowded homes. There's just Dh and me here but we are allowed out for essential shopping and exercise and I also have to be out to work so I see colleagues too - well, sort of see them as we all have masks now. I am resorting to setting nice hoiday photos as my background on Zoom. :smiley:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • VelvetFreak
    So I'm supposed to be talking to my boss today about my role/"payrise" (haha) and whether or not he will still pay for the rest of my diploma study. Fingers crossed! I'll be cranky if he doesn't. It's the least he could do, really.

I spent 4 hours on hold to the bank yesterday (where's the EEK emoji!?) to try and get them to lower my mortgage rate. The wait didn't bother me too much as I was at work and multi tasking while on hold. Ended up getting my rate lowered from 3.25% to 3.09%. Not a huge discount but am feeling smug nonetheless. My payment will be recalculated but I will continue to pay the higher amount each month anyway :innocent:.

I ended up putting some of my savings into investing in shares. I wasn't going to but then I just decided to do it anyway because I felt like it. I've put $1500 in so far and am waiting for my talk with my boss today to decide whether I will put another $1000 in or not. I'm feeling weirdly guilty about it but I still have my big Emergency Fund of $10,000 if I were to lose my job (which at this stage I really don't think I will).

Anyway, that's my thoughts for today. I am off to do a bit of cleaning before work as I have woken up early and I actually have time to do it. :smile:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback