PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting a Room when you are gay

Options

Comments

• Dorothy60
    Dorothy60 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I think the big question is whether you plan to bring your partner back to your room? The owners are renting the room to you, they'll have met you, and they'll have decided that they are happy enough having you in their home. If suddenly they discover a complete stranger in the house one morning, because you've brought your partner back for the night, that's a potential problem.

It's clear that you need to establish the ground rules very clearly before moving in, but I really don't think you need to start the conversation with a statement about your sexuality. It's a bit OTT to do that. The ground rules would cover lots of things, such as cooking very fragrant foods, and visitors generally, not just overnight.

I'm not sure how people renting out a room handle this, generally? Do they rent out the room with a single bed, in which case I guess they are giving a message that overnight visitors are unwelcome? Or do they have a double bed, but rent the room to couples, in which case they'll want to meet both partners before signing the lodger agreement?

I have a couple of flats I rent out, but that's completely different, and I don't care about sexual orientation. In my own house, I personally would not care, but I can see that others might. Curiously, I abhor tattoos and piercings, so I would have difficulty renting a room to someone with lots of those on display!

This exactly re tattoos and piercings!! I have adult children all left home now and would welcome a gay person into my home. Stereotypes I know but my younger self knew lots of gay singles and couples and they were lovely. Very respectful and didn’t flaunt their sexuality. I know there will be some equally lovely individuals with tattoos and piercings but I just Can’t understand why someone would deface their body in this way and don’t like to see it
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?
    As sure as I can be for this time on a Sunday.

s.38(9) brings in the exceptions from Schedule 5.

Para 3(2) of Schedule 5 says "Sections 33(1), 34(1) and 35(1) [i.e. the general prohibition against discriminating in the disposal and management of the premises] apply only in so far as they relate to race". So the other protected characteristics are fair game (assuming the premises meet the Sch. 5 definition of small premises with resident landlord).
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In practice, the landlord doesn't need to give a reason for not tAking someone. So, it doesn't matter whether it's illegal discrimination. It's impossible to prove.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • robinwales
    robinwales Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am looking to rent a room within the next few months
    Did you mean LET a room? It's your house, yes?
  • Alan2020
    Alan2020 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I feel for you and to be honest very hard.
    I for the record am straight but people have and do discriminate me for what I look like. Been called names, been egged by about 20eggs recently on the tube station (everyone acts as they don’t see). Been removed from positions at work with made up rules to prevent my progression.

So my advice to you is the law will barely protect you if a homophobic person kills or seriously injures you. Just see how they react and see if they do offer or not. I think it’s easy for those who are not discriminated to rabbit on about equality and the law but for the vast majority of discriminated groups the reality is far different.

Good luck and do remember lots of ethical and fair people are there as well
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alan2020 wrote: »
    ...but people have and do discriminate me for what I look like
    Can I ask what it is about your appearance that causes such reactions?
  • Littleonesunshine
    Options
    I hate questions like this, because it’s annoying that a sexual preference should be an issue.

Having said that, if you are sharing a house with someone it’s a personal arrangement (unless it’s a HMO or landlord doesn’t live there) so just drop a hint like - “my long term bf would be visiting for X weekend. Do you allow him to stay or would we have to make alternative arrangements”.
  • Ngozi
    Ngozi Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As stated, when you do your advert for the room, make it obvious and subtle;

"Hi, i'm Dave and looking to rent out room etc... sometimes on weekends my partner Bob might visit."

If anything, you might have an advantage renting out your room, some woman might feel more comfortable renting from someone who is gay.
  • robinwales
    robinwales Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ngozi wrote: »
    As stated, when you do your advert for the room, make it obvious and subtle;

"Hi, i'm Dave and looking to rent out room etc... sometimes on weekends my partner Bob might visit."

'Bob' could be a hypocorism of Roberta (female) as well as Robert (male)?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    robinwales wrote: »
    'Bob' could be a hypocorism of Roberta (female) as well as Robert (male)?

Bob from Blackadder springs to mind...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport