santander changes

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you don't like the options available at your current bank, there are plenty of others to choose from, many (but certainly not all) offering a wider range of access routes than Santander - I've been collating the published info from all the main players in a dedicated thread, at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6021774
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So it looks as if Santander are the only one who can't actually help us. They are about to lose 2 very valuable customers.
    When you told them this, what was their response?
  • Radnorsaver
    Radnorsaver Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No response yet. I only sent the threat it this evening.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    As an aside, does anyone else find with the Santander app that it drains the battery very quickly on an iPhone? Even if I’m in it for just a few minutes transferring money or making a payment then the battery life decreases quickly by at least 10% or so. Not had this for any of my other apps.
    Yes, the Santander app is obviously a battery hog as I get a warning on my Android phone that it is using up the battery and it gives me the option of killing it off (this is always ages after I have "closed" the app), which I always do. Strange that Apple don't have a similar warning in their system.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    If you don't like the options available at your current bank, there are plenty of others to choose from, many (but certainly not all) offering a wider range of access routes than Santander - I've been collating the published info from all the main players in a dedicated thread, at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6021774
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

I currently have an 80-year old mother in a panic about all this as she is not comfortable using mobiles and therefore any alternative methods that she may be more comfortable with would be a godsend.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just received an email from Santander telling me that they are changing their internet banking website and to log on I will need to download their app.
    Still no sign of such an email here.
    Stompa
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just received an email from Santander telling me that they are changing their internet banking website and to log on I will need to download their app. Slight problem for those of us who don't have (or want) a smart phone...

For those who have used this new method do you have to do everything via their app or is it just used to send a one time code, in the same way as HSBC do as an alternative to their physical key? Can you still do internet banking via a desktop (the app is Android/iphone only).

I have an old savings account there which nowadays is giving me peanuts interest so I am tempted just to withdraw it and forget Santander.

I have the Santander app on my phone which I like to check balances, do quick transfers or make payments to existing payees. I also use my laptop and on occasion have had to use the OTP as the extra layer of security. There are obviously some people who do not use smart phones who will find this problematic so I guess the only option is to move to a bank which does not make it compulsory. Usually though where one bank leads, the others follow.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Still no sign of such an email here.

Or here!............
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Options
    Nationwide are also pushing an app everytime I log in.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    to answer peoples questions about app's being battery hogs, (any app).

this is down to poor coding at the app developers level. nothing more.

the warnings you see pop up telling you your phone has spotted a battery / resource hungry app is a good thing, its warning you so you can kill the app process and thus save battery. its been on most android phones in some form for years.. getting better with each - my s10+ (new in march 19). has android 8.1."pie" and this takes it to next level it monitors what i use and actively deletes temp data for apps i havent used in a while, thus saving battery and storage space.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure