santander changes

Options
Just received an email from Santander telling me that they are changing their internet banking website and to log on I will need to download their app. Slight problem for those of us who don't have (or want) a smart phone...

For those who have used this new method do you have to do everything via their app or is it just used to send a one time code, in the same way as HSBC do as an alternative to their physical key? Can you still do internet banking via a desktop (the app is Android/iphone only).

I have an old savings account there which nowadays is giving me peanuts interest so I am tempted just to withdraw it and forget Santander.

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just received an email from Santander telling me that they are changing their internet banking website and to log on I will need to download their app. Slight problem for those of us who don't have (or want) a smart phone...

For those who have used this new method do you have to do everything via their app or is it just used to send a one time code, in the same way as HSBC do as an alternative to their physical key? Can you still do internet banking via a desktop (the app is Android/iphone only).

I have an old savings account there which nowadays is giving me peanuts interest so I am tempted just to withdraw it and forget Santander.

I haven't had the email but already use their app on my phone so it won't be a problem for me.

Husband has the email; he uses online banking on an iPad so can download the app. His smartphone is too old to support it.

However, email says if you can't download app, they can still send OTP to registered mobile, which doesn't have to be a smartphone.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,537 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Never believe any emails supposedly from a bank. Always get info from their secure website.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Never believe any emails supposedly from a bank. Always get info from their secure website.

Though this example IS actually from the bank - and is describing the changes outlined here (I assume):

https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/ways-to-bank/changes-to-how-you-log-on-to-online-banking

Which, as Badger has pointed out, don't say you must use the app, as an OTP to a phone will still suffice.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »

Which, as Badger has pointed out, don't say you must use the app, as an OTP to a phone will still suffice.

"For now".
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed - 'for now' implies the app will soon be mandatory.
    I had hoped my Tesco Hudl 1 would work but it seems it needs Android Lollipop 5 (the Hudl is Jellybean 4.1).
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 766 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I setup a new payee a few days ago and, instead of sending an OTP as I expected, it said "Login to the app on your phone to authorise".

As soon as I logged-in to the app, the new payee was created.
    So, it's already in use.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would I use the smartphone app to log on to online banking when I can just as easily do my banking on the app?

What can I do on OLB that I couldn't do on the app?

Will this lead to the end of OLB?
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As an aside, does anyone else find with the Santander app that it drains the battery very quickly on an iPhone? Even if I’m in it for just a few minutes transferring money or making a payment then the battery life decreases quickly by at least 10% or so. Not had this for any of my other apps.
  • Space_Orbit
    Options
    I think this a backward step and if it becomes mandatory I'd have to close my Santander account.

I have a smartphone but don't use their app - I have limited phone memory available to download it and as am PAYG with no free data allowance then unless using wifi at home it would cost money.

Surely the current system of texting a OTP is easier and secure.

If people want the app then fine but limiting your on-line service in this way will make your products less appealing and cause some people to go elsewhere.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    alanwsg wrote: »
    I setup a new payee a few days ago and, instead of sending an OTP as I expected, it said "Login to the app on your phone to authorise".

As soon as I logged-in to the app, the new payee was created.
    So, it's already in use.

I had this happen to me earlier this week too. Not sure quite how I feel about it yet...OTP codes worked fine, but then again my app is fingerprint authorised, so is more secure than OTP (if phone were hacked by sim swap etc)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure