santander changes

Options

Comments

• spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh, that document is written in EU Geek lingo, I suspected they might have been involved.
    I see HSBC are pushing me yet again to move over to their app based dongle. I replaced the physical dongle earlier in the year when its battery failed so hopefully in a few more years time when its battery goes flat they will still supply physical keys. That method suits me, kept at home out of sight, unlike a mobile phone that as you say can easily be lost or picked up by those with intent.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 June 2019 at 8:56AM
    Options
    Gosh, that document is written in EU Geek lingo, I suspected they might have been involved.

The EU were 'involved' because this sort of legislation does, mostly, originate from the EU and is implemented within member states. Rather than every country writing its own version and then having to make sure they are all compatible..

The legislation is, of course, fairly sensible - and is trying to protect us all from fraud - I don't think anyone can argue with the concept.. The problems arising from it (being discussed in this thread) are to do with how to implement it - but that's not a criticism of the concept.

Of course it is exactly the sort of legislation that we, when outside the EU, will have to form ourselves, instead of relying on the EU to form it. It would (almost certainly) have happened here whether in the EU or not, not least as we will still need to match EU business systems.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    As an aside, does anyone else find with the Santander app that it drains the battery very quickly on an iPhone? Even if I’m in it for just a few minutes transferring money or making a payment then the battery life decreases quickly by at least 10% or so. Not had this for any of my other apps.

I haven't noticed that. I'll pay closer attention next time.
  • Skippy13
    Skippy13 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    As an aside, does anyone else find with the Santander app that it drains the battery very quickly on an iPhone? Even if I’m in it for just a few minutes transferring money or making a payment then the battery life decreases quickly by at least 10% or so. Not had this for any of my other apps.

Yes, I noticed that this week. My salary goes into Santander and is then moved around and my iPhone battery dropped very quickly this month on payday
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Though this example IS actually from the bank - and is describing the changes outlined here (I assume):

https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/ways-to-bank/changes-to-how-you-log-on-to-online-banking

Which, as Badger has pointed out, don't say you must use the app, as an OTP to a phone will still suffice.
    EssexExile wrote: »
    "For now".

Santander have amended their webpage about the upcoming changes to online banking, and the reference to OTPs only being available "for now" has been removed. :)
  • billn
    billn Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Smartphones really ARE safer for banking than PCs.

Can you please explain this to me?
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
  • Radnorsaver
    Radnorsaver Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live where there is no phone signal from any company. My credit card company will send an OTP to my landline. Why can't Santander offer this too for those of us in not=spots?
  • Radnorsaver
    Options
    Some investigation shows that Nationwide require a mobile, but TSB will use a landline or mobile.
  • Radnorsaver
    Options
    Nationwide have replied to a query:
    "When applying to open a Current Account with us there isn't any requirement to put in your mobile number. You can put in your landline instead, but it would be best to enter your mobile number as well. We're unable to send messages to a landline I'm afraid.

We can send you an email instead of a text message so you will need to make sure that your email is entered on the application."

Other banks use a physical device "Secure key" - Barclays, HSBC, First Direct and M&S.

So it looks as if Santander are the only one who can't actually help us. They are about to lose 2 very valuable customers.
  • Radnorsaver
    Options
    Santander have now replied to my request for alternatives to mobile phones:

"Thank you for your email.
    The banking industry as a whole are making changes to payments, including the way they are authorised by customers online.
    As part of Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) we are introducing another layer of security when logging on to Online Banking and for some transactions. In some situations, you may need to use the OTP service or the Mobile Banking App to verify your identity. You may wish to download this app to continue using Online Banking. This is known as 2-factor authentication.
    This means you must have use the OTP service or the mobile banking app to continue using online banking.
    For information on the mobile banking app, please visit our website Santander.co.uk > Support> Ways to Bank> Banking on your mobile.
    These changes will begin to be phased in from mid-June and should be live for all customers by the end of September 2019."

Since other banks don't take this stupid unhelpful attitude we will be moving our accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure