Howdens/Wren Kitchen advice...

Options

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Luke1066 wrote: »
    Its more durable surely?

Our DIY kitchen is arriving either today or tomorrow, been waiting 10 weeks.
    I just hope everything is there and none of it is damaged. I was reading the reviews yesterday from the last few's months and I have got very nervous now. It seems they've had some manufacturing/supply issues as of recent.

They are about the same to be honest. Each has it's +'s and -'s.

An acrylic faced door is actually cheaper to produce than a vinyl wrapped door, but retailers tend to put a bigger markup on the acrylic doors because they can!
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• MarcTJTD
    Options
    ashnojutsu wrote: »
    I have just placed an order with Howdens, (it's via my kitchen fitter's account, so his name on invocie, but I paid fro it on my card, the fitter never stepped into the Howden's branch with me, just told me to contact the Howdens sales rep directly). I know I'm being ripped off, but I'd like to see just how much the difference in my quote and the fitter's quote there is.

Link to quote here:

https://imgur.com/FIPibeZ

Total: £2,330

I've got a feeling I'm being overcharged by around £1000 :mad:

Any chance I can cancel this order, or at least get them to price match a cheaper quote? It will be delivered in around 2 weeks if that has any bearing in the matter.

Oof. You're getting hosed there mate.

That 600mm base cabinet with a plastic wrap and ABS edged door that they're quoting £187.20 ex vat for? Their -full- RRP on that product is £191.66 ex VAT!

I flog comparable quality for £99.53 ex VAT and that's with a healthy margin.

They're asking £51.80 ex VAT for a tall clad on wall panel; that's £18.29 ex VAT.

I dread to think what their profit margin is on that price; they're basically charging you full RRP with no discount, I would 100% complain/cancel and go to a local competitor.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Luke1066 wrote: »
    Its more durable surely?

Our DIY kitchen is arriving either today or tomorrow, been waiting 10 weeks.
    I just hope everything is there and none of it is damaged. I was reading the reviews yesterday from the last few's months and I have got very nervous now. It seems they've had some manufacturing/supply issues as of recent.

How did it go?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ashnojutsu
    Options
    MarcTJTD wrote: »
    Oof. You're getting hosed there mate.

That 600mm base cabinet with a plastic wrap and ABS edged door that they're quoting £187.20 ex vat for? Their -full- RRP on that product is £191.66 ex VAT!

I flog comparable quality for £99.53 ex VAT and that's with a healthy margin.

They're asking £51.80 ex VAT for a tall clad on wall panel; that's £18.29 ex VAT.

I dread to think what their profit margin is on that price; they're basically charging you full RRP with no discount, I would 100% complain/cancel and go to a local competitor.

Okay mate, thanks for the honest pricing. As I am going to complain tomorrow, could you give me the total for a comparable spec?
  • MarcTJTD
    Options
    Okay mate, thanks for the honest pricing. As I am going to complain tomorrow, could you give me the total for a comparable spec?

Aye, no bother. I'll sort it out once I get to the office.

If you like, I'll PM you an official letter-headed quote that you can take in to them for comparison purposes.
  • MarcTJTD
    Options

1 x Cutlery Tray Insert - £4.87 ex VAT
    Delivery: Free
    2 x 600 H/L Base Cabinet - £199.07 ex VAT
    1 x 600 3-Drawer Base Cabinet - £212.31 ex VAT
    2 x 2.4m Cornice/Pelmet - £39.96 ex VAT
    3 x 2.7m Plinth - £71.88 ex VAT
    4 x Base End Panel - £95.82 ex VAT
    2 x Tall End Panel - £118.79 ex VAT
    1 x 600 H/L Door - £67.00 ex VAT
    1 x 450 H/L D/W Door - £47.72 ex VAT
    1 x 600 Wall Cabinet - £94.08 ex VAT
    2 x 600 Tall Wall Cabinet - £206.40 ex VAT
    1 x 600 Tall Microwave Housing - £124.02 ex VAT
    1 x 450 Tall Wall Cabinet - £90.80 ex VAT
    4 x Tall Wall End Panel - £73.17 ex VAT

Total is £1445.88 ex VAT

Looks like you have 1 x 600 wall cabinet on there at 720 height and the rest of your wall cabinets are 900mm; was that intentional to fit around a roof obstacle?
  • ashnojutsu
    Options
    MarcTJTD wrote: »
    1 x Cutlery Tray Insert - £4.87 ex VAT
    Delivery: Free
    2 x 600 H/L Base Cabinet - £199.07 ex VAT
    1 x 600 3-Drawer Base Cabinet - £212.31 ex VAT
    2 x 2.4m Cornice/Pelmet - £39.96 ex VAT
    3 x 2.7m Plinth - £71.88 ex VAT
    4 x Base End Panel - £95.82 ex VAT
    2 x Tall End Panel - £118.79 ex VAT
    1 x 600 H/L Door - £67.00 ex VAT
    1 x 450 H/L D/W Door - £47.72 ex VAT
    1 x 600 Wall Cabinet - £94.08 ex VAT
    2 x 600 Tall Wall Cabinet - £206.40 ex VAT
    1 x 600 Tall Microwave Housing - £124.02 ex VAT
    1 x 450 Tall Wall Cabinet - £90.80 ex VAT
    4 x Tall Wall End Panel - £73.17 ex VAT

Total is £1445.88 ex VAT

Looks like you have 1 x 600 wall cabinet on there at 720 height and the rest of your wall cabinets are 900mm; was that intentional to fit around a roof obstacle?

Yes, that's correct there's an obstacle on the ceiling where the stairs are, so that cabinet has to be shorter than the rest.

Are those cost prices, or do they include a markup, if you don't mind me asking?

I accept Howdens & the fitter need to make some money, so to me a markup of 20% is reasonable. But if this is close to RRP, then to me they are taking liberties.
  • MarcTJTD
    Options
    Yes, that's correct there's an obstacle on the ceiling where the stairs are, so that cabinet has to be shorter than the rest.

Are those cost prices, or do they include a markup, if you don't mind me asking?

I accept Howdens & the fitter need to make some money, so to me a markup of 20% is reasonable. But if this is close to RRP, then to me they are taking liberties.

The above prices are with the markup that we offer to retail customers, trade price is ~10% cheaper.
  • Luke1066
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    How did it go?

It arrived this morning at 10:30 the delivery guys were nice enough.

I had to get it in the house then shoot off to work. Initial inspections are good however one tall end panel was missing. I phoned customer service in the car on the way to work, they opened a missing item ticket, apparently someone will let me know when a replacement will be sent.
    I will check the condition of the rest of it this evening I am back home.
  • robin248
    Options
    So had a meeting with Howdens today and have confirmed a few things.

1. 4 x base ends include 3 either side and in the middle of current free standing washing machine and dryer, quote "to secure the worktop to". Is this really necessary??The other end panels look necessary.
    2. They quoted for 2 x 3M worktops as I need one long run of around 2500 and then a short piece approx. 750mm, so have now identified a different worktop which they do in 3.6m lengths at a saving of £120!
    3. According to rep I am getting some products already at 70% discount others at 80%, before their Oct sale price.
    4. Greenwich gloss doors are 16mm
    5. They will price match like for like quotes - Marc are you able to provide something please??

Cheers for your help much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport