Free TV licences to be scrapped for millions of over-75s - MSE News

in TV MoneySaving
126 replies 13.5K views

Replies

• Autumn86Autumn86 Forumite
    275 Posts
    pphillips wrote: »
    Only legal if you're telling the truth. If you're lying to get round paying for a tv license then that is illegal. Saying that "Only fools and/or naive-dimwits actually pay for a TV license anyways though!" is clearly an attempt to goad people into making a deceitful declaration to TV Licensing, which is illegal

Ok well ofcourse I haven't watched any TV/Sky boxsets/or iPlayer during the past 10+ years,
    Simply have used my TV + skybox for 'listening to the radio'... ;)

But so as a result I've not wasted/paid-out over £2,000 cash that I otherwise would've done if I'd had a direct-debit to TVlicensing. :D
  • boomer69boomer69
    843 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn86 wrote: »
    Ok well ofcourse I haven't watched any TV/Sky boxsets/or iPlayer during the past 10+ years,
    Simply have used my TV + skybox for 'listening to the radio'... ;)

But so as a result I've not wasted/paid-out over £2,000 cash that I otherwise would've done if I'd had a direct-debit to TVlicensing. :D
    Saving £2000 makes you sound clever
    Buying TV Sky iPlayer equipment to listen to the radio - not so much.
  • eliotnpteliotnpt Forumite
    7 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This has been on the cards for a while and I guess there was unsufficient "noise" made to prevent it going ahead. Let us look at this more closely - if a person in the household is in receipt of pension credit then the TV licence will continue to be free. That is easy enough to understand.

However, pension credit is not some magic benefit. As most will know, it is to ensure the pensioner is receiving at least the minimum the government says a person/couple need to live on each week.

What many might not realise is, the difference between pension credit for a single pensioner and the full state pension for a single pensioner is pennies (I believe it is less than 50 pence a week more for the full state pension). 50p a week over 52 weeks = £26 a year (give or take a few pennies because I didn't check the exact amounts before writing this).

As you can see, there is a vast difference between £26 and the annual cost of a tv licence that will be free for someone receiving pension credit.

Of course, there are pensioners who do not qualify for pension credit, they might have an occupational pension and/or their full state pension is higher (by that approx 50p a week) than the pension credit threshold. This means that a person receiving only state pension will be worse off than a person who receives some or all pension credit.

This is not just a TV licencing issue either. Last year I "lost" my few pounds of pension credit because the pensions department had discovered I really did have the full credits for state pension. No problem, I gained the few pennies a week extra. But, I looked like losing the home warm scheme allowance because SWALEC would only give it to pensioners receiving pension credit (amongst other qualifying groups), so I immediately switched, went with British Gas, and not only received the home warm allowance last winter but I actually ended up paying less than I did with SWALEC.
    That is not the only example because my free optical and dental charges ended the instant I received state pension. I had to obtain forms (which was not easy to do and took numerous telephone calls), complete them, return them, wait - and then receive a certificate allowing me to claim free optical and dental charges. All that extra work, not just for me but also for government departments, simply because I had received a few pence a week extra.

Pension credit is invaluable, it is vital that all pensioners check to see if they might qualify and if you have older relatives, do it for them, you can easily check online without filling all the forms in first. Even so, pension credit should not be used as some mystical cut-off point, with the assumption that those receiving a full state pension are much better off financially. Either all should be means tested, or none.

As an aside, the free TV licence will not affect me, I am not quite that old yet but look forward to reaching that age and beyond. Reason is simple - I dislike television and have not watched it for many years and so do not even need a licence. But that does not mean I am not seeing the absolute injustice of this useless introduction by the BBC when there are numerous other ways of them funding themselves.
  • MiswkdMiswkd Forumite
    1 Post
    Hi, my dad gets pension credit I noticed on the most recent email I have received that he can get a tv licence - how do I go about this for him? He’s not quite 75 yet, however he does as I said before get state pension.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miswkd wrote: »
    Hi, my dad gets pension credit I noticed on the most recent email I have received that he can get a tv licence - how do I go about this for him? He’s not quite 75 yet, however he does as I said before get state pension.

You can approach TV Licensing as soon as the elderly person reaches the age of 74. They can issue a TV Licence for a part-year and then issue a free Licence when the person reaches the age of 75.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/aged-74-and-over-aud3
    ex Board Guide

• RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you to the few here who have defended Seniors.

But I get so sick of the unending attacks upon my generation in this and other forums in MSE. A very large percentage of people my age worked hard for little money, in jobs that many younger people would turn up their noses at. We were not the generation from which Benefits Cheats came: in fact we looked upon that as 'charity' and many elderly still do.

For the record: I saved in the several jobs that I did and I have two very small private pensions. I served 12 years in HMF and I have an MOD pension as well. I also have the basic State pension, but the fact is that the sum total of this does not give me enough to make me a taxpayer. However, it does help to give us a small annual holiday, because our history of saving has given us the principle of buying what we need first, with what we have. Anything we want, is bought with what we save. And we are still saving now, a small portion of our income is saved each month.

Because I can afford to do so, I don't mind continuing to pay for a TV licence when I reach the qualifying age next year. But I would like the snipers who target their elders to realise two things: one, you will be old yourself some day. Hopefully you will not suffer the years of ill health (including cancer) that I have suffered, but it may come with age. two, there are people on basic state pension who have to make choices between eating enough and heating their homes. I know of several OAP's who had to and still have to, make those choices. I sincerely hope you are all spared that.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • SeeMeSeeMe Forumite
    343 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Robisere wrote: »

But I get so sick of the unending attacks upon my generation in this and other forums in MSE. A very large percentage of people my age worked hard for little money, in jobs that many younger people would turn up their noses at. We were not the generation from which Benefits Cheats came: in fact we looked upon that as 'charity' and many elderly still do.

For the record: I saved in the several jobs that I did and I have two very small private pensions. I served 12 years in HMF and I have an MOD pension as well. I also have the basic State pension, but the fact is that the sum total of this does not give me enough to make me a taxpayer. However, it does help to give us a small annual holiday, because our history of saving has given us the principle of buying what we need first, with what we have. Anything we want, is bought with what we save. And we are still saving now, a small portion of our income is saved each month.

Because I can afford to do so, I don't mind continuing to pay for a TV licence when I reach the qualifying age next year. But I would like the snipers who target their elders to realise two things: one, you will be old yourself some day. Hopefully you will not suffer the years of ill health (including cancer) that I have suffered, but it may come with age. two, there are people on basic state pension who have to make choices between eating enough and heating their homes. I know of several OAP's who had to and still have to, make those choices. I sincerely hope you are all spared that.

I support your post 100%, others not so, there will always be have and have not's and some who have no idea how some people still struggle as sumed up in this thread by someone who said they have never met a poor pensioner
  • Wee_jockWee_jock Forumite
    10 Posts
    If you receive only yhe savings element of pension credit do you qualify for free licence????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    SeeMe wrote: »
    I support your post 100%, others not so, there will always be have and have not's and some who have no idea how some people still struggle as sumed up in this thread by someone who said they have never met a poor pensioner

It's amazing how many trolls were pulled out of the woodwork by this thread. Just put the likes of @Autumn86 on ignore.

For clarity, I'm not a pensioner.
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Robisere wrote: »

People of all ages struggle with money and struggle to budget properly to make sure they have enough for their basic needs (people of all ages visit food banks for example). So it's not just OAP's who struggle but they are the only ones who can currently get a free TV licence.
    To make it fair either everyone should have to pay or nobody should. So it's not about targeting OAP's it's about making it fair for everyone.

What does make OAP's different to younger people is that they have had their entire lives to plan for retirement which gives them a good financial advantage. If they chose not to do this then they can't really blame anyone else. I am very aware of this at my age and that's why i have been paying into a pension since i was 20 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides