Free TV licences to be scrapped for millions of over-75s - MSE News

in TV MoneySaving
126 replies 13.5K views

Replies

• Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Benight wrote: »
    it'll go to give tax breaks to our already high earners.Under this new tax regime, someone earning £60,000 a year would benefit by £1,000 a year, while someone on £80,000 would gain £3,000 per year.

.... and your point is????

HMRC will take over £25,000 in tax from somebody earning £80000. Somebody on minimum wage would pay around £1250.

Public services would look VERY different if we had no high earners.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autumn86 wrote: »
    Only fools and/or naive-dimwits actually pay for a TV license anyways though! :rotfl:

All you need to do is tick the box on the TV-license website stating that "you only use your TV for listening to the radio",
    and that's job-done for 2-3 years (before you get an email simply requesting you pop back onto the site and tick that box again).

This site can't recommend or condone people breaking the law.
    ex Board Guide

• minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    the idea was so the bbc could be more self funding and cut back on wages.
    not scrap benefits to people who've probably paid over and over again for all the naff repeats the bbc churns out. especially over 75's who watch mostly daytime tv!:rotfl:

its time the public where given the choice of opting out of the bbc channels and scrapping the licence fee.

i very rarely watch anything on there. wouldn't miss what i do watch.
    and would prefer not paying for ludicrous salary's for Gary Lineker and Graham Norton!
  • Autumn86Autumn86 Forumite
    275 Posts
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This site can't recommend or condone people breaking the law.

I haven't recommended that anyone "breaks the law" though... ;)

Have simply made people aware of the various options available regarding TV-licensing, Including an option which is fully & completely legal. :money:
  • JonahJJonahJ Forumite
    11 Posts
    saperstein wrote: »
    best news yet

Best news yet would be for it to be totally scrapped.

If there was a vote to keep BBC in its current form and how it is funded, I suspect it would be an overwhelming get rid.

It is so wrong that we do not have a choice

Until then let's hope this reaches 100,000 votes to be debated.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/234627
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So much confusion about issues here. The argument as to whether we raise money via a TV Licence is IMO for another thread.

Given we do have a licence then the next issue is who pays it. I don't get a free licence but it isn't all that many years before I would have qualified. Do I resent it being removed? Not at all. I am content that those in receipt of pension credit continue to get it free and if there are those who don't know about credit then a campaign to make it better known and easier to apply is a smart move. There is no good reason to give many pensioners a free licence and having worked for 40 or 50 years makes no difference except to those who want to play the sympathy card.
  • edited 11 June 2019 at 2:32PM
    pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11 June 2019 at 2:32PM
    Autumn86 wrote: »
    I haven't recommended that anyone "breaks the law" though... ;)

Have simply made people aware of the various options available regarding TV-licensing, Including an option which is fully & completely legal. :money:

Only legal if you're telling the truth. If you're lying to get round paying for a tv license then that is illegal. Saying that "Only fools and/or naive-dimwits actually pay for a TV license anyways though!" is clearly an attempt to goad people into making a deceitful declaration to TV Licensing, which is illegal
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pphillips wrote: »
    Only legal if you're telling the truth. If you're lying to get round paying for a tv license then that is illegal. Saying that
    "Only fools and/or naive-dimwits actually pay for a TV license anyways though!" is clearly an attempt to goad people into making a deceitful declaration to TV Licensing, which is illegal.

Only the actual evasion offence is against the law. There is no legal requirement to give TV Licensing any information, and providing false information is not an offence, although it can make the Courts more likely to impose a larger fine in the event of a prosecution.
    ex Board Guide

• pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Only the actual evasion offence is against the law. There is no legal requirement to give TV Licensing any information, and providing false information is not an offence, although it can make the Courts more likely to impose a larger fine in the event of a prosecution.

Put simply, it is illegal to watch or record live TV or watching BBC iPlayer without a tv licence.
  • boomer69boomer69
    843 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    SPOWER wrote: »
    Good. They shouldn't be getting free TV licence anyway. The state looks after them enough. I have yet to meet a poor pensioner. And before any you lot start your rubbish, I worked at International Pension Centre. I know about pensioners.

The bigger issue is how the BBC is funded. I hope this is the first step towards the TVL system, like that discount needs scrapped.
    If by the state you mean the tax payer, its not just pensioners, there are millions of people with their bank being swelled on a regular basis.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides