We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Keeping on the Straight and Narrow...

1…162163164166168

Comments

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks folks we had another battle with DS2 last night, was after 10 before he settled & he was in a full on grump when I woke him up this morning.

    It took every fibre of my being to keep calm but I could have happily thrown him across the threshold when we got to school 😂

    Then got a phone call from school at 2pm asking me to pick him up as he felt unwell. I can say with certainty he was NOT unwell, his new teacher has fallen for his puppy dog sad eye routine 🤬

    However I played the game, encouraged him to have a quick shower and get into his PJs, gave him a dose of Ca!pol and said that obviously there'd be no after school treats to eat or gaming to be had as we must do everything we can to get him better and made him lie down on the sofa for an hour 😂

    He stayed home with DH while I took DS1 swimming & for a post swim Maccies. DS2 was furious when he realised we'd been there so I innocently said "but you came home from school poorly so you couldn't possible want to go there" 🤭 DH also refused him treats and made him do quiet/ more boring to DS2 activities so he's had a long afternoon/evening!

    Hopefully lesson learned and we'll have a better night tonight. I'm leaving bedtime to DH and am going to have a soak in the bath and put a face mask on.

    In money news, took Mum shopping this morning and got the items on our list, had to include washing powder as the one we're currently using is making us all itchy 😐 so back to basics and I've bought one for sensitive skin. £45 spent today, already started preparing a list for less urgent supplies in readiness for the next round of shopping to be delivered on Sunday.

    Sold an item on V overnight so got that packed and posted. Decided to list 4 more things and got another sale at lunchtime so that's also been sent. The item I sent earlier in the week has been delivered and accepted but V haven't released the funds yet so that will go on tomorrow's PAD 🤞

    Today's PAD £2

    Debt Total £3396 (BCard £696)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,295 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Love how you dealt with DS2. Hopefully he has got the message!

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • I’ve done similar with mine, make it so boring that they’re not tempted to do it again 😂 Hope you have a better evening tonight

    DFD March 2025 (£35000 paid off)
    FFEF £20000 saved
    Currently treading water while having cancer treatment and trying not to dip into FFEF too much!
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 3,680 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    if mine wasn’t at school he wasn’t allowed any electronics at all, iPads etc. TV wasn’t allowed on, he could read and depending how he was could play with Lego for a little bit. After 3.30 he was allowed usual stuff. Surprisingly he’s wasn’t ‘ill’ often 🤣🤣

    Sealed pot challenge 822

    Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Thanks all, it's good to get a bit of (im)moral support 😉 It's a good thing we love these little people isn't it as they have the power to drive us crazy?!

    DS2 still took a while to settle last night, was about 930, but he wasn't as grumpy when he woke up this morning. Maybe tonight is the night he'll get a quality sleep 🤞

    For all I left bed time to DH, it was still me who ended up settling DS2. He knows that when I literally sit in the dark on his bedroom floor with some relaxing music playing quietly that I mean business and he stops all his procrastinating about sleep and is usually fast asleep in about 15 minutes.

    I am anticipating doing this again tonight so instead of sitting on the floor and struggling to get back up again, I've moved a dining chair upstairs so that I'm ready for action.

    I've had a really productive day sorting out my V!nted listings today, I have removed some items and bagged them up ready to take to the charity shop. I then relisted several items as bundles. I have had another raid on the kids wardrobes and found another few items to list there. Also cashed out the £4 I was waiting for yesterday.

    I also popped into B&M this morning for a browse after dropping the kids at school (dangerous I know 😂) I was quite well behaved but did spot something that DS2 would love so bought that to put it away for Xmas so that was a £12.99 spend there.

    Currently psyching myself up for the school run as it's bucketing down here so traffic will be awful, already looking forward to a cuppa on our return home 😂

    Today's PAD £6

    Debt Total £3390 (BCard £690) 

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • Extra update to say we've taken the plunge and started switching out joint bills account to Nati0nwide.

    We've avoided ever switching the joint account as we've both had solo accounts that we've switched several times but we've exhausted all options for these now so, as the perks are decent, we've decided to be brave and go for it. Won't go through until next month as we've chosen a week where nothing is due to leave the account but at least it's in progress.

    (Typing this while sat on a chair in the corner of DS2's room 🤫)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • DS2 was asleep before 9pm last night and is on the brink of sleep now so hopefully he's back on track. He's certainly been a much happier boy today.

    Another day off today, I stayed at home and deep cleaned DS1's bedroom and rearrange some furniture that he'd asked me to do a while ago but I'd been lacking in motivation to sort. He's over the moon with the changes and I've managed to free up some space to be able to fit a corner desk as he wants a homework space for secondary school next year (he's been getting inspiration/advice from his older cousins).

    Unlike DS2, DS1 practically begged to go to bed so he can chill in his lovely smelling super clean room with lined dried bedding 😂 I've promised DS2 I'll do the same for him tomorrow, although this may also roll into Sunday as he has the bigger bedroom and more toys in there so will be more of a task.

    I've added a desk to one of my many lists on Ama3on but, as there's no rush, I'm going to see if we can pick one up 2nd hand first.

    The 2 V!nted parcels I sent on Wednesday have pending collection from the buyers but no further activity other than a couple of cheeky offers I've declined.

    Today's PAD £2

    Debt Total £3388 (BCard £688) 

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 September at 8:09PM

    DS2 now has a much tidier room! I need to sit with him (or sneak in while he's at school) and get his toy storage better organised, or better still, donate/sell some items and then he'll have a more manageable space. One step at a time though as he gets very attached to random bits of plastic tat he didn't know he had until he sees them again 😂

    DH has a gig this evening, the boys and I have been to my brother's housewarming party. I think they managed to sneak their body weight in buffet and treats while I was talking to some of the other guests, at least I won't need to feed them today so I suppose that's MSE if not healthy? 😂

    We crept away before anyone started having too much to drink so was a pleasant evening.

    Still waiting on 2 buyers collecting their V!nted parcels so today's PAD is the standard £2

    Debt Total £3386 (BCard £686)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 September at 8:09PM

    Well the V!nted parcels have been collected but they still haven't confirmed everything is okay 🤨so nothing other than the standard PAD to add to the CC.

    I've moved money from savings to pay the general spends CC for DH's MOT bill and also for renewing our XBox Game Pass for another 12 months. Although this is not an essential, DH and both boys get the benefit of this so for the equivalent of £2.53 per week we feel this is good value for what the entertainment value they get out of it. I may or may not join in on the occasional multi-player games too 😂

    The weather was glorious here today so I stripped mine & DH's bed and got that out on the line early this morning, it dried beautifully and has just gone back on the bed, can't wait to go to sleep to enjoy the benefits!

    We then made a pack up and headed out to a coastal town about 15 miles from us, enjoyed a walk around the harbour and then had a walk around the museum there. It had a good mix of its maritime history, an exhibition about the town's coal mining past and a retro toy exhibition. Lots of interactive activities to keep us entertained for a solid 3 hours before hunger got the better of us. DH and I may or may not have got quite competitive playing Pacman 😂

    We then found a bench with a view of the sea and enjoyed our food and drinks before I used some of my personal spends to buy a coffee from a local cafe, money well spent as it was delicious ☺️

    We had a walk along the local high street and spent a grand total of £5 on some items that will be good for packed lunches before heading home.

    All in all a lovely family day ahead of a busy work week for myself and more so for DH as he has a busy travel week this week, including an overnight stay Tuesday, unusual for him but necessary for his work commitments this week.

    Today's PAD £2

    Debt Total £3384 (BCard £684)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 838 Forumite
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    That sounds like a gorgeous day!

    PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.