We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Keeping on the Straight and Narrow...

1…162164166167168

Comments

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,282 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Well done.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • Amazing! Those PADs really add up!

    DFD March 2025 (£35000 paid off)
    FFEF £20000 saved
    Currently treading water while having cancer treatment and trying not to dip into FFEF too much!
  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks both, we're so pleased with how the numbers are dropping, just hope DH and I can maintain consistency and get to debt free again, it's been too long!

    Just got back from my hair/facial appointment so am feeling suitably shiny haired and dewy skinned. My brother has been thanked as it was his gift that paid for this morning.

    The boys were a little nervous about returning to school, we did a lot of prep last night to make this morning run as smoothly as possible and, in the end, they both went into school happy and smiling.

    My brain hasn't quite realised they're back at school, I haven't quite decompressed from hearing 'Muu-uuum' being shouted every 5 minutes to the point where I still feel like I can hear them😂

    Have got a bit of life admin done - renewed DH's car insurance for £270 with cashback tracked so hopefully £27 to come back there, also paid on the CC for points but have paid off from savings. I also fixed Mum's energy contract, after doing ours last week I thought it would be prudent to do hers too so that's another thing off the list.

    Then, feeling inspired by @Dakota_Rose 4 daily shopping, I have paid for an A$da delivery pass so that we can follow suit. We're really struggling to get in a consistent shopping routine with me not working set days and increasing my contract hours plus some days DH is WFH and others he's out so I'm hoping this will help. We're both trying to eat more healthily so we're hoping that buying every 4 days will stop any potential fresh food waste too.

    Requested £11.41 from JDonut & £1.27 from TCB so hopefully they'll be available to add to the PAD tomorrow.

    Today's PAD £2

    Debt Total £3440 (BCard £740)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 833 Forumite
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I hope it works out for you 🤞 we’ve definitely noticed a reduction in food and money waste!

    PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 September at 8:25PM

    Thanks DR, first small delivery (£45) coming today, looking forward to seeing how it works for us.

    Enjoying the sweet sound of silence while the boys are at school and DH at work 😂. First day back at school went well, must have been exhausting as both boys volunteered to go to bed early and were both asleep by 8pm, which is unheard of in our house!

    It's currently dry here so I'm getting on top of washing ahead of my return to work for 4 days tomorrow. Constantly checking the weather though as it's very overcast.

    Planning on mopping/hoovering the downstairs floors while everyone is out and A$da is due between 1230 & 130. Have got a beef stew in the slow cooker ready for our evening feel so I'm feeling very organised and I'm going to give myself permission to have a lazy couple of hours before heading out again to pick the boys up from school.

    After dropping the boys at school this morning I picked Mum up and we went for a coffee and a walk along the local high street, she treated us today and I didn't buy anything while in the shops so a nice free catch up with her today too.

    In money news, the payouts from JDonut and TCB have arrived and we are on a free month for my Pre-payment certificate so have added money from those 3 to today's PAD.

    Today's PAD £27

    Debt Total £3413 (BCard £713)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 308 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    we also pay for a pass with Sainsbury’s and allowing the wife to deal with the shopping means we have less wastage and less unexpected trips to shop for things needed.


    I took charge of doing the shop for a week or two in July and managed to spent £20 more in the weekly shop than my wife usually does and then managed to also spent an extra £30 by nipping to butchers or local shop to get this or get that!

    So I don’t get to do the shop anymore 😂

  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Look how quick that Barclay Card is coming down, the PAD is really working so well for you.

  • I shop at @sda and have a delivery pass, I’m liking the 4 day shopping idea. Might think of doing that too. I meal plan and shop for a week, but it is tricky keeping things fresh! And it’s hard to know what 7 of us will eat for breakfasts and lunches too..

    DFD March 2025 (£35000 paid off)
    FFEF £20000 saved
    Currently treading water while having cancer treatment and trying not to dip into FFEF too much!
  • Haha @abaka my DH is the same, hence I largely take control of shopping (although I have lots of room for improvement 😂), if we shop in store together the bill at the checkout can be quite a shock to my system!

    Thanks @FootyFanDan I can't wait until there's only 1 card to pay down!

    Yes @ohdearhowdidthathappen it's keeping things fresh I struggle with over the week too, not helped by the fact our freezer is rammed at the moment, really need to get a list of what's in there! But yes, I can imagine planning for 7 is really difficult, I find it hard enough for 4 of us, especially as the boys are very fussy eaters. The 4 day pattern could work really well for you.

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Hello

    Busy couple of days with work and DH gigging last night and this evening. I got the opportunity to see him play last night which was fab, as was the company of a friend I hadn't seen for a wee while. The combination of getting home at 130 then starting work at 9am was less fun 😏

    I'll definitely be in bed early tonight as I'm shattered and back in work tomorrow, the boys are planning a sleepover in DS1's bedroom, let's hope they remember to actually sleep!

    Not a lot else happening although I did have a bit of a surreal moment earlier, a while ago some of you may remember that someone bought a pair of slippers from me on V!nted then returned them at their cost (postage was more than they paid for the slippers) as they didn't fit? Well, I relisted the slippers and the exact same person has today sent me an under asking price offer 😲 I've just ignored it but it made me chuckle

    Daily PADs continue

    Debt Total £3409 (BCard £709)

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.