Stoke to Nantwich avoiding dual carriageways

Options
124»

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure we're helping the OP talking about single track roads in places like Wester Ross and Sutherland.

They only want to go from Stoke to Nantwich. Mind you, if they can't read a map...

Helps the argument about not going via minor roads and sticking to the major roads, dual carriageways lol
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Helps the argument about not going via minor roads and sticking to the major roads, dual carriageways lol

One of my points exactly.

My wife was doing a regular journey on the A47 when it was closed due to an accident. She was diverted onto a warren of Norfolk single carriageway roads and got completely lost - less than 20 miles from home.

On a dual carriageway you are less likely to get lost between A and B, and also less likely to meet running pedestrians in the middle of the road. They're much safer (especially without nervous drivers).
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    One of my points exactly.

My wife was doing a regular journey on the A47 when it was closed due to an accident. She was diverted onto a warren of Norfolk single carriageway roads and got completely lost - less than 20 miles from home.

On a dual carriageway you are less likely to get lost between A and B, and also less likely to meet running pedestrians in the middle of the road. They're much safer (especially without nervous drivers).

This situation is also one of the reasons I always keep a road atlas in the car. I have inbuilt satnav, but there are rare occasions where it hinders rather than helps you.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    edited 31 May 2019 at 5:58PM
    Options
    This situation is also one of the reasons I always keep a road atlas in the car. I have inbuilt satnav, but there are rare occasions where it hinders rather than helps you.

On behalf of my wife I was too embarrassed to say that she had both a road atlas and GPS available to her. When hillwalking I was at first amused (then terrified) at her complete lack of awareness as to where she was - apart from that we were in north-west Scotland. If I'd broken my leg or was knocked unconscious she'd never get back to the car on her own.

EDIT: To be fair, she's partially ambidextrous and gets really confused between right and left. When she's driving and I'm navigating I have to describe turns as "Your side" or "My side". She used to think that the car's nearside was the side nearest to her when driving!
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps one too many 0s at the end, so perhaps a typo. I did 900 miles in 23 days from John O'Groats to Land's End some years ago and that was hard enough!
    In that case, impressive, and well done!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    In that case, impressive, and well done!

I missed that feet by mercdriver. Very impressive.

Going wildly off topic, there's a long distance walk in the Isle of Man called The Parish Walk, where participants have to check in at each parish church on the island. It's about 84(?) miles long and you need to average about 4 mph not to be kicked out. (The fastest competitors who are racing as opposed to just taking part probably average between 6 and 7mph. Don't let anyone tell you Manx people are mad!).

Most female walkers only cover about 40 miles on the leg from Douglas to Peel, circumnavigating the southern half of the island. Some years ago one woman covered the full distance...but didn't stop at the finish. She continued and completed a second lap - over 160 miles in about 50 hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish_Walk

But I'm not suggesting the OP walks from Stoke to Nantwich either on a single or dual carriageway.

(PS - Hi Dave. Since a particular comment on another thread your username reminds me of one of the Tory leadership contenders. :)).
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I missed that feet by mercdriver. Very impressive.

His feet had probably gone missing by the end of that walk! :)

But I agree, it is indeed a very impressive feat.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't know that book, or him, but I have a couple of others that recount continuous treks, Martin Moran's The Munros in Winter and Mike Cawthorne's Hell of a Journey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Munros-Winter-Martin-Moran/dp/1905207697

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Journey-Through-Scottish-Highlands/dp/1780270356[/QUOTE]

You mentioned Martin Moran. Apparently he's missing in the Himalayas. My wife said she'd heard the party he was leading was caught in an avalanche.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

You mentioned Martin Moran. Apparently he's missing in the Himalayas. My wife said she'd heard the party he was leading was caught in an avalanche.

Yes, just heard it on the news myself, not looking great at the moment unfortunately.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure we're helping the OP talking about single track roads in places like Wester Ross and Sutherland.

Doesn't really matter, the OP is probably never coming back after the tone of some of the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure