pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A500 and go at half four. It will be crawl pace all the way ��
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks! :o

I was "old" when I passed my test and we had a walking holiday in the Scottish Highlands planned (c. 2500 miles in two weeks).

180 miles of walking a day for fourteen days in a row, in the Highlands?

There are some tall tales on the internet, but I’m calling you on this one. No-one can run 180 miles in a day even once, let alone walk it day after day.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

There are some tall tales on the internet, but I’m calling you on this one. No-one can run 180 miles in a day even once, let alone walk it day after day.

I agree but found the claim funny. That’s like walking from Scotland to the South of France in a week then turning round and walking back home for week 2 :rotfl:

That’s mainly motorways as well, not mountains :D
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 May 2019 at 2:24PM
    Options

Perhaps one too many 0s at the end, so perhaps a typo. I did 900 miles in 23 days from John O'Groats to Land's End some years ago and that was hard enough!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - it was not intended to be a claim! I meant to say (c. 2500 miles driving).

I still maintain that we would not have come close to running over Hugh Symonds if we had been on a dual carriageway and not on some narrow single carriageway (not single track) in the depths of the Highlands where he was running down the middle of the road.

Dual carriageways are safer for everyone! :)
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    Sorry - it was not intended to be a claim! I meant to say (c. 2500 miles driving).

I still maintain that we would not have come close to running over Hugh Symonds if we had been on a dual carriageway and not on some narrow single carriageway (not single track) in the depths of the Highlands where he was running down the middle of the road.

Dual carriageways are safer for everyone! :)

In parts of N Scotland, many of the primary are single track with passing places...
  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone too nervous to drive on a dual carriageway that they want others to plan a route for them should not be driving full stop. If you drive its possible you take a wrong turn and end up on a dual carriageway - what then? You can't just panic and stop.

I'd suggest that person gets over their fear and drives on what are in reality very easy roads to drive on.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    In parts of N Scotland, many of the primary are single track with passing places...

Tell me about it!

Over a period of about 12 years pointlessly Munro bagging we must have spent half our lives travelling very slowly behind gawping tourists incapable of understanding passing place etiquette, when all we wanted to do was get to a hill (or pub)! We reserved special derision for those in front of us who pulled over into passing places on the right instead of just stopping opposite them. Though to be fair, they were at least doing their best to get out of the way.

On one occasion we'd been following a hire car for miles and they wouldn't stop at passing places. When we got to a dual track and my wife tried to pass them (this was before I learned to drive) they kept drifting over to block her! She eventually got past and immediately stopped and blocked them! She got out and gave them a lesson in no uncertain terms as to how to use passing places. They were two American blokes and they were terrified (my wife can be quite scary).

Not an incident I'm proud of in retrospect. Not sure about the missus.

(As americans they probably thought they were about to be shot).
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    The ones that get me are the ones that won't reverse back 5m and force you to reverse back uphill even though they have only just passed a passing place and weren't looking further than 5ft in front of them
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Not sure we're helping the OP talking about single track roads in places like Wester Ross and Sutherland.

They only want to go from Stoke to Nantwich. Mind you, if they can't read a map...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure