Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    trainline.,com

Or buy from any train operating company that doesn't charge the fee that The Trainline does.
  • woolythoughts
    woolythoughts Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hand your drivers licence back as you shouldn't be behind the wheel
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry, but I'm going to jump on the "tough love" bandwagon here.

Stoke to Nantwich is less than 18 miles.
    There is an obvious route going straight from A to B.
    Sure, there are back routes, but most of them will inevitably involve going through Newcastle.

If somebody has passed their test, yet their confidence is so low as to make them unwilling to take such a basic route, and is incapable of looking at a roadmap to figure out their own alternative, then I do question whether they are suited to holding a driving licence.

We've all known their kind... people who refuse to ever drive anywhere except to and from work and the supermarket, and will go some bizarre route to avoid turning right or avoid roundabouts... I even worked with one person who, when the company moved the office about two miles, actually resigned because they didn't know their new commute - and they were gutted at "having to", because they professed to loving their job.

The correct solution is more driving lessons, with a sympathetic instructor who can help to instil confidence and get over these mental blindspots.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    More lessons
    Take a train
    Take a bus
    Take a taxi
    Get someone else to drive you there.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    Options
    SirMixAlot wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know the best route from Stoke to Nantwich for someone who is a nervous driver and wants to avoid dual carriageways?

Thanks

If you avoid dealing with something it will become an even bigger fear / issue. Also, I would voice the opinion that, if you are not sufficiently competent to use dual carriage ways without anxiety then you should not hold a driving license.

Consider some additional driving lessons aimed at correcting those areas of driving that are causing you issues.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Indeed. The default limit is 70.

Thanks! :o

I was "old" when I passed my test and we had a walking holiday in the Scottish Highlands planned (c. 2500 miles in two weeks).

I was a bit apprehensive at having to do my share of the driving (hadn't been on a DC) so booked a whole day's session with an instructor as a "refresher". Worked wonders and I had no problems doing my share on the A1. That one holiday (and extended lesson) did wonders for my driving. My wife couldn't get me out of the car afterwards!

When I was learning, a work colleague told me cautious driving was good, but nervous driving was potentially dangerous.

I don't know how "nervous" the OP is, but if the roads are unfamiliar to them, I'd take a DC over a SC any day - I think they're much safer.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...we had a walking holiday in the Scottish Highlands planned (c. 2500 miles in two weeks).

Crikey, that's some pace! :rotfl:
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Crikey, that's some pace! :rotfl:

It was nearly 19 years ago and we were much fitter! It wasn't so much the running up and down Munros and Corbett's that was the problem, as running between them. :rotfl:

Funnily enough, on one of our walking holidays we nearly ran over Hugh Symonds. If it had been a DC he wouldn't have been there!

http://www.hayloft.eu/running%20high.html

We hadn't caught the Munro bug then, so didn't know what this loonie was doing!
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know that book, or him, but I have a couple of others that recount continuous treks, Martin Moran's The Munros in Winter and Mike Cawthorne's Hell of a Journey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Munros-Winter-Martin-Moran/dp/1905207697

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Journey-Through-Scottish-Highlands/dp/1780270356
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't know that book, or him, but I have a couple of others that recount continuous treks, Martin Moran's The Munros in Winter and Mike Cawthorne's Hell of a Journey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Munros-Winter-Martin-Moran/dp/1905207697

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Journey-Through-Scottish-Highlands/dp/1780270356[/QUOTE]

Symonds' book is a really good read. I didn't realise but the link I gave suggests that the book had become really difficult to find. There was also a really good TV documentary about his run as well.

Martin Moran's book is also excellent. My wife went on a walking course run by him (or actually his wife - he was climbing in the Alps at the time) in the early 1990s. She loved it.

We both couldn't believe it when he was reported to have fallen off the roof of his house in Lochcarron while doing some repairs!

Sorry - going a bit too far off topic now...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure