June 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 May 2019 at 7:58AM in Old Style MoneySaving
155 replies 13.8K views

Replies

• thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooooops! Realised I'd forgotten the £10 spent stocking up on steak mince whilst dropping a friend back to her home in the next town. Their butcher usually has good offers on & inexpensive-but-good mince was needed. Two-thirds now in the freezer for future reference...
    Angie ;)

GC June 20 - oh dear, plot lost!
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ScrimpsScrimps Forumite
    310 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    £19.40 at aldi and £8.15 at tesco for our week aheads meal plan. Im hoping to make it through the week without needing a top up but we will see if I can make the milk last, there should just about be enough fruit and bread to last until friday.

so that is 151.80/200

Our ailing cat is really struggling to keep weight on, I had subbed some of my own 'social' budget to get him some raw food as that would take the load off his kidneys compared to the junk food he usually likes. If I need to I will buy some more and just have to up the budget but he is off and on as to if he will eat it. he has already eaten through half the food for the month and I suspect a neiborhood cat is coming in and 'stealing' food too so this may blow our budget.
  • pamsdishpamsdish Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    6.50 in Asda, still trying to understand my receipt I thought shelf marked 43p, charged 50p for one item, got my months supply of tonic water 6 lemon, 6 lime trying to work out which was 37p and which was 40p, rang store checked on line, lemon is 3p a bottle more, don`t know why.
    2018 £2285/£2149, 2019 £2000, 2020 £2000, £166.66 SPEND PER MONTH CARRY OVER ADDED TO BULK FUND. £291.88
    JAN £153.45 FEB £100.14 MARCH £138.87 APRIL £53.87 MAY £67.02 JUNE £122.21
    JULY £166.66-£12.48=£154-18
  • thrifty-hayleythrifty-hayley Forumite
    120 posts
    Spent another £8.95 today on bread, milk, veg etc. That takes me up to £53.28/£100 but I've done my "big shop" for the month so hoping I can make it!
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • edited 9 June 2019 at 8:18AM
    SoworriedSoworried Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 June 2019 at 8:18AM
    Soworried wrote: »
    A spend of £32.94 so far but I'm doing a big shop today which will include a joint of beef and 2kg of chicken breasts and 24 loo rolls.

My budget will take a hammering but next weeks shop will be just fresh stuff in the main.

Bought everything except the toilet roll as they had ran out so will need to spend at least £5 today. We buy the 24 roll luxury Aldi one as we find it lasts ages and is great quality for the price.

I wasn't wrong that my budget would take a hammering but I should need very little next week and I have meal planned the following.

S=Spicy slow cooker Mediterranean beef with new potatoes
    M=Steak with mushrooms and sweet potato fries
    T= Slow cooker chilli with HM flatbread
    W=Chicken fajitas with HM wraps
    T=Slow cooker chilli with HM flatbread
    F=Smoked river cobbler with cous cous and veg
    S=Chicken and potato curry

I'll make the wraps and flatbreads today while I slice the joint of beef in to steaks and dice some for the freezer in 150g servings. I tend to get 4 steaks and enough diced for 4 servings from a 1.5kg joint.
    The tougher bits will go in the slow cooker to cook for hours for tonights dinner. This makes another 2 servings.

I'll throw in spices, onions, spring onions, mushrooms, a stir fry pack, loads of peppers and a dash of soy sauce and balsamic.

My budget needs to last until the 5th of July.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • ceb1995ceb1995 Forumite
    343 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Spent £10.87 today as we ran out of oil and other bits so got 5 meals worth of reduced mince and a cheap flatbread pizza whilst we were there so now on £95.86/£190.
    Started on a meal plan for after friday and come up with 9 meals with what we have in at the moment so should hopefully won't need to be buying much meat for the next couple of weeks.
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    £5 spent at the market this lunchtime, on onions, parsnips, chillis, and two (more) punnets of the loveliest fresh strawberries... one punnet has already been turned into ice-cream, which is really rather good. I've also made a big batch of kimchi, which is what the chillis were for, a last batch of elderflower champagne, and am about to start the leaven for a sourdough loaf tomorrow, on top of cooking the Sunday roast & sorting out the washing, so am feeling a little tiny bit virtuous!
    Angie ;)

GC June 20 - oh dear, plot lost!
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.3K posts
    A few spends to update on.

£30.47 on 20 litres of cat litter, 10 days of cat food and a treat for the dog.

£14.55 on dog food (will last the rest of the month).

£36.01 weekly shop on bag of salad (YS), Quorn steak pie (YS), trifle (YS), pack of ribs (YS), basil, 2 bananas, 1 onion, 2 fishcakes, 7 jelly pots, 4.5 litres of Pepsi Max, 2 litres of lemonade, chocolate rice cakes, washing machine cleaner, 500g dried pasta, feta, 4 pints of milk, creme fraiche, 500g Greek yoghurt, 2 Quorn fish fillets, meat free hot dogs, peas, cat treats, 2 sweet potato rostis, ready made mash, bubble bath and a pack of sweet peppers.

Meal plan:
    1. "Burgers" (ribs for OH, halloumi for me) in brioche with fries.
    2. Greek pasta salad
    3. Pizza
    4. Creamy onion and tomato pasta
    5. Fish (Fishcakes for OH, Quorn for me) with sweet potato rostis and feta mashed peas
    6. Hot dogs with mash and beans

Breakfasts will be yoghurt or overnight oats with fruit.

Lunches will be soup and salad as usual.

For snacks we have fibre bars, breakfast biscuits, jelly, crisps, rice cakes, crisps, pistachios, babybel and more yoghurt.

£175.41 left.
  • t14cy_tt14cy_t Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    spends of £24 today. big ys reductions in morrisons today so freezer now full and purse firmly shut until Thursday hopefully!!xx
  • t14cy_tt14cy_t Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    £37 spent so far this month. xx