PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

can you put clingfilm in the oven?

Options

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quack, quack!!
  • originator
    Options
    I saw this done on the food channel last week(diners and dives programme).they covered a roasting tin with a joint of meat firstly with clingfilm(?) and topped with foil.Couldn't believe me eyes!
    mortgage free 3/10/12:)
  • robinia22
    Options
    I too came here after a Google search.
    And found Oilspill's post helpful. So if that's bad netiquette, then perhaps the netiquette book needs updating.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    robinia22 wrote: »
    I too came here after a Google search.
    And found Oilspill's post helpful. So if that's bad netiquette, then perhaps the netiquette book needs updating.

Good luck with that. :rotfl:
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    'smart gîte' or not, how is your 'web search to find the answer' to a question asked almost 9 years ago going to help the OP - who was going to bake flapjacks on 18/11/2007?
    An OP who hasn't logged on to MSE since 11/10/2011 at that!

If anybody had wanted an answer to the question, they'd have asked - either on the end of this thread or a new thread (which you'd have found with your 'web search').

On most public fora, necro-posting is considered bad etiquette.

So it's a 'hello' from me. :hello:

It cant be bad etiquette seen as new threads are added to old ones, surely?
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've started liberally spraying the inside of my tins with one-cal spray oil which works beautifully and you can't taste it at all.

For very sticky things like flapjacks, I think I'd spray the baking sheet, then line with greaseproof paper, then spray the greaseproof paper then spread out the mixture.

I know I've seen cling used on hot things on cookery shows but it always looks really wrong to me. I don't think I could enjoy the food, I would keep thinking it was tainted in some way:(.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The real answer to the clingfilm question is wealth.

Most common or garden cling film cannot be used in an oven.

The stuff that Paul Hollywood uses would not be of this poundland variety, the basics range, the market stall. Paul will have no idea that "your average Joe" doesn't have exactly what he's got/used to.

Posh stuff can be oven-safe.

So, if you're buying clingfilm on the cheap, it's not oven-safe.

If you're posh and "only ever buy the best" then it's probably oven-safe.

In short ... the box will tell you. If the box doesn't mention it it'll probably melt. If the box tells you it's OK then you're wealthier than me and it'll be OK :)
  • Oilspill
    Oilspill Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    The real answer to the clingfilm question is wealth.

Most common or garden cling film cannot be used in an oven.

The stuff that Paul Hollywood uses would not be of this poundland variety, the basics range, the market stall. Paul will have no idea that "your average Joe" doesn't have exactly what he's got/used to.

Posh stuff can be oven-safe.

So, if you're buying clingfilm on the cheap, it's not oven-safe.

If you're posh and "only ever buy the best" then it's probably oven-safe.

In short ... the box will tell you. If the box doesn't mention it it'll probably melt. If the box tells you it's OK then you're wealthier than me and it'll be OK :)

At the risk of saying that's a load of bollox and getting flamed… I used Lidl bog standard the other week and had no problems. I also shop in Waitrose where the difference in price between microwave-safe and otherwise is a matter of a few pence. Just try wrapping a spud in film and baking at 180C. If it crisps but stays wrapped, it's fine. If it goes gunky, you have your answer.
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 May 2016 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Oilspill wrote: »
    At the risk of saying that's a load of bollox and getting flamed… I used Lidl bog standard the other week and had no problems. I also shop in Waitrose where the difference in price between microwave-safe and otherwise is a matter of a few pence. Just try wrapping a spud in film and baking at 180C. If it crisps but stays wrapped, it's fine. If it goes gunky, you have your answer.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is it the spud that crisps or the clingfilm? And what exactly is the clingfilm supposed to do ?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oilspill wrote: »
    At the risk of saying that's a load of bollox and getting flamed…
    OK .... tell these people it's bollox then. "Proper people wut shud no bestest": https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/cling_film_safety.html
    Can cling film be used in an oven?

In general, cling film should not be used in an oven as it can melt and could contaminate the food. However, there may be cling film available which can be used in an oven, so it is advisable to check the manufacturer’s instructions on the cling film before use.

Maybe you got lucky ... that time. :)
    Can ... and could. You were lucky, but next time, different oven, different dish, different temperature, different cooking time ...

But it's back to my post that said "check the box".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport