PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Character property but very few viewings recently

Options
Property has been on the market since March 14th and despite a flood of viewings initially, there hasn't been one for 3 weeks now - we purchased it for 355k last March but broke up in January and so need to sell up. We did the outbuilding up which could make a great air Bnb or other business, added a fence, and changed the 70 year old Aga to a large Smeg range cooker which will stay with the house too. Would the large price jump be putting would be buyers off I wonder? It is a character full property with planning permission to extend into the 2 storey outbuilding included plus parking outside and in the property. I would be interested to know thoughts. Link below (just add the www.)-

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60917109.html

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Suspect people may struggle to see £30k's worth of improvements to a year ago, especially as those photos, to my mind, are better than yours.

But what it sold at in the past is largely irrelevant as you can't go back in time and buy it at last year's price. So it really depends on how it's priced compared to other 3 bed period terraces with outbuildings etc that are also on sale nearby?
  • SmashedAvacado
    SmashedAvacado Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like it

If you have priced is right, it will sell. Whether you have priced it right - will depend on the feedback of your viewers and also the local agents - they want you to sell so be guided by them. Its a slow market in some places so perhaps an offer is only around the corner.

I also think what you paid for it and when you paid it is entirely irrelevant. That's not to say some idiots will be comparing the price now to what you paid, but what does it matter what you paid for it.
  • dinverro
    dinverro Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately there are not any buildings like it around.... Feedback has generally been very positive but that the main house is a little small.... But then there is planning permission to extend and the general plot is a good size, especially compared the houses on the street in general.
  • Simby
    Simby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 15 May 2019 at 4:21PM
    Options
    If I saw the second set of pics I would view. The current set would not entice me to view.

The older set made the design look fresh , the current pictures make it look very old fashioned and a little run down.

The older set also had some lovely rear garden shots which would overcome my concerns re the font being close to the road.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why is it now worth £30k more when prices have generally been static or dropping?

tbh the previous photos when you bought look clearer as to what's on offer, and the garden looks lovely in those pics. Yours isn't so flattering. Your pics make the bedrooms look much smaller too.

Lack of parking would definitely put me off.

Presuming that brick building with the door and three windows is included (the old post office). It's not entirely clear - I would get a clear photo of that with the word 'included in sale' printed across it. People don't always read descriptions and it looks like it's a house at the back overlooking you.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to agree that the pictures last year were far better...why do you not have a lovely looking garden shot?

You say youve done something to the outbuilding...is that the picture with a loo peeping out of doorway and a rack of guitars?
    You think it might make a nice studio flat...then make the photo think that too....

de clutter and style it a little bit more...get the photos redone and hopefully now the weather is warming up the buyers will be out...that garden looked like the perfect enclosed spot for a glass of wine in the summer...make sure everyone sees what you have to its full potential rather than the shell that looks a little unloved and unthought about at the moment
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • dinverro
    dinverro Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the pic of the loo/shower is of the top floor of the outbuilding. It would make a lovely studio space or office or air bnb rental for example....

I am not sure why they did not include the garden fully as it was looking quite good when pics were taken.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ripping out the Aga has probably knocked £30k off the value, not added to it, 70 years old or not. That Smeg sadly looks like an inferior replacement, and the previous photos highlight it.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The photos don't attract me:

Looks like it might be on a main road.
    The ivy on the wall looks like a maintenance issue.
    Coping missing on the brick wall.
    Are the gates wriggly tin? They look in poor condition.

And that's just the first photo, which really needs to be attractive and eye-catching.

Dining table looks cramped up against the radiator wall.
    No tiling or splashback behind the range cooker.

Bathroom boxing-in looks poorly done.
    Can't see a shower over the bath in the photo or the plan, and it's not mentioned.

There appears to be air-con in the annexe but it's not mentioned in the description.

There's only one photo of the lounge, and that doesn't show what space there is for seating.

The previous photos aren't great either, but they are more useful.

If you have got planning permission then put the planning permission floorplan in as well titled "potential for extension" so people can imagine what they might be able to do with the house.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure