No buying unnecessary toiletries May 2019

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    uu

Lee Stafford Shampoo 200ml - I'm not sure what the name of this is but it is a growth shampoo. WNBA, it smells amazing but how would you really know if it made your hair grow unless it really, really made your hair grow? As was typical of me I bought 2 of these, plus 2 conditioners and 2 treatments so I have put the other bottle of shampoo out to use.

TA

Vaseline Pink Bubbly - not sure what has happened to this, it has been in DH's car for a long time and I went to use it yesterday and it had melted and leaked from the tin all over the cup holder and what was left in the tin was like rubber. I have a tin of Vaseline rosy lips in my car which is either very melted or very hard depending on the weather and I never have a problem with it. WNBA anyway.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    gave away 1 item. I went to shop yesterday and didn't feel tempted to buy more than a concealer.

Trying to use up fully what I have I can hopefully buy fresh and new items when needed.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been to Trafford Centre to collect John Lewis order comprising of a set of Floral Street perfume samples (Birthday gift for work friend) and Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser. Also bought replacement pot of LUSH Cup o Coffee.

Visited Selfridges to smell the Replica perfumes and have decided I will save up for a bottle. Will save £1 for each staple product I finish and £5 for each makeup product.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    VALM wrote: »
    Will save £1 for each staple product I finish and £5 for each makeup product.

I like this idea.
    ponypal wrote:
    Want to paint my fingernails 3 times and toenails once and wear eyeshadow once this month with what I have

And this idea. I will make an effort to wear eyeshadow at least once a week this month.
    ally.
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello ladies! :wave:

Gosh, it has been a while! I hope you are all keeping well. :)

I have some UUs:

Johnson's Clean and Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash (for face, it it's not clear from the name)
    2 x Mitchum 48 Hour Protection stick
    Wilko Clean Wash and Refresh Shower Creme (200ml)
    The Orange Tree Orange and Neroli Hand Lotion (small)
    3 x Corsodyl Daily (can now use Listerene as well, which is much cheaper – hurrah!)
    Tresemme Multi Vitamin Shampoo and Conditioner (don't know who it's trying to kid about being a conditioner as well!)
    2x Sanctuary Body Wash (75ml each)
    Johnson's Cotton Buds (large)
    Boots Royal Jelly Hand and Nail Cream (200ml)
    S&G The Scrub of Your Life (200ml)
    Creighton's Blonde Intensive Care Conditioner (250ml)

Also – and as I haven't posted in months so I may have missed this if it has cropped up in conversation – but given all the discussion about the environment/climate change/single-use plastics going on right now, I have been trying to look at my own personal single-use plastic usage and I have realised that one of the major areas where I could easily reduce my usage is in the toiletries that I buy and use.

I'm not the biggest make-up wearer or buyer, so that might not be the best place for me to start, but I have realised that all the bottles of shower gel/shampoo/conditioner that I buy soon add up, especially as I can't take the lids off the particular brands that I use, so I can't reuse the bottles, even if I wanted to.

I've been doing research and I have bought a few replacement products for things I regularly use such as reusable cotton wool pads (I absolutely LOVE these and would not be without them now, no matter what) as they wash and dry quickly and it means that I don't need to throw away the plastic wrapper they come in each time as well as throwing away the cotton they are made from as cotton is quite a resource-intensive crop to make and harvest.

I also bought an old-fashioned razor where you replace the blade in the middle and as it's just made of metal you can recycle it, unlike a lot of the modern razors which have lots of plastic on them as well. I honestly can't understand how anybody ever moved away from these as the razor was cheap to buy and the blades are cheap to replace and fully recyclable and give a really close shave. The only difference is that the head of the razor is not as moveable as some of the more modern ones, which can be angled more easily, but this honestly would not put me off buying one now that I have tried it.

I still have some shower gels to use up, but I'm looking to replace them with shower/soap bars when they are finished to stop having to throw away plastic bottles. (In the meantime I have decanted them into pumps which means I only use what I need and they last aaaaaages longer!)

I've also bought myself a shampoo bar from a health food shop to wash my hair as I have heard good things about these (especially if you store them away from moisture between uses to help them last longer) but I've got to admit that this makes me nervous as my hair has become fussy as I have become slightly [STRIKE]older[/STRIKE] more amazing, so I may have to go through a few of these to find ones that my hair is prepared to get along with, but I guess this will be a trial and error thing.

Have any of you tried to be more eco-friendly in your beauty routines? What are your recommendations?
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• shed35
    shed35 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

This is my weekly update:-

UU
    Avon Little Black Dress Perfume
    Body Shop Satsuma Shower Gel
    Superdrug B Glycolic Cleansing Peel

IN
    Waitrose Baby Butter Cream x 3
    Beneifit Pore Matifying Gel

Total - 112
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,840 Forumite
    Options
    UU yesterday- Elemis Sea Lavender and Samphire Shower Milk. This is nice and I’d use again if it came as a gift with purchase or was on offer.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    InaPickle wrote: »
    given all the discussion about the environment/climate change/single-use plastics going on right now, I have been trying to look at my own personal single-use plastic usage

:T Well done for making those switches. Thanks for the review of the razor; do you think you are you more likely to cut yourself with these?
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Inapickle - I started using better options about 18 months ago, I use a metal razor, a natural deodorant and solid soap bars in the bathroom basin. I am still using up a huge stash of other things but am going for vegan (I am vegan) and plastic free where possible. I only use cotton pads to remove nail polish now so possibly 2 rounds per week.

sunny_money - you do have to be careful with the metal razors but you do get used to them quickly.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2019 at 7:45AM
    Options
    I visited a Charlotte Tilbury store as I have always been tempted but wanted to try first, but the staff treat you like an annoyance so I didn’t buy anything but I’m annoyed about the missed opportunity because I need a new foundation and wanted to try several other things.

PP
    The Body Shop, oils of life, intensely revitalising facial oil, use on body

Have a bath at least fortnightly to use up bath products

Heel balm, time to prep for summer shoes

Blush, use at least every weekend

I would like to do a new ongoing challenge; create a lip capsule ‘wardrobe’. Feel free to join me! :D

+ = 5 to 15 years old (5)
    * = gift with purchase / freebie / given to me (8)
    Total: 21

This is a long term challenge and I would like to have 12 products, I feel that that should be comfortable and realistic.

Long wear:
    Max Factor, classic red
    Mabelline, 140 roaring rose (bright pink)
    Younique, stiff upper lip stain, sappy (rose pink)

Traditional lipstick:
    MAC, creme sheen, ravishing+ (peach)
    Revlon, super lustrous, peal, 430 soft silver rose+
    Rimmel, lasting finish, 214 fire cracker+ (coral)
    Est!e Lauder, re-nutriv, Moroccan poppy+* (deep red with brown undertone)
    Dior, serum de rouge (lipstick+gloss) 760 (deep maroon)+*
    Dior, addict, 260 (pink shimmer) (my wedding lipstick)
    Dior, addict lip glow 001 pink (honeymoon lipstick - HG lip product!)
    Clinique, chubby stick, 08 graped-up (my OHs wedding lipstick, given to me)*
    Clinique, pop, 01 nude pop* (pink/nude)
    No7, moisture drench, soft paprika 770 (raspberry red)*
    Barry M, bright pink/coral*

Lip gloss:
    Soap & Glory, extreme plump, clear
    Loreal, cream, 110 I got the power (rose/brown/nude)
    No7, matte liquid lips, pink/nude*
    Max Factor, honey lacquer, honey nude (pink/nude)*

Balm
    Neal’s Yard, Bee Lovely
    Lanolips, tinted pink
    Lanolips, lemonaid, shimmer

I’m going to google lip stick decluttering blogs/YouTube for some inspo and think of a strategy..

First easy win: Neal’s Yard Bee Lovely lip balm; although I like this I feel pots are unhygienic so I only use this at home, but have barely made a dent and it’s been open a while, so as wasteful as this feels I’m going to use it on my dry hands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure